“First class hotel”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“First class hotel”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

my wife and I spent 3 days at this superb hotel. Everything was to our liking, the food, the staff and our room. We always enjoy Brend hotels but consider the Imperial the best of all. One or two people did not observe the evening dress code which perhaps could be insisted upon. The saturday evening singer in the dining room was also first class. all in all faultless.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
BrendHotels, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review of The Imperial Hotel following your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found all aspects 'first class' and that consider the Imperial to be best in the group.

With regards to the dress code, we do have a rule of 'jacket and tie preferred' with smart casual accepted but no jeans, trainers, t-shirts or sportswear. Being in a commercial town we find that smart casual allows business guests that stay and dress formally all day can at least dress down a little for dinner.

Your comments regarding Pete Fry our Saturday singer will be passed on this weekend.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back once more in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My stay was short & sweet and most enjoyable. Ideal location for my work at the North Devon Leisure Centre & The Tarka Tennis Centre in my role as a sports journalist & photographer. The food was excellent and all attention to detail was much appreciated. Staff warm and welcoming.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

It is very pleasing that as a business traveller, you enjoyed your time at The Imperial and felt that our service was attentive as well as excellent food and warm and welcoming staff.

Your comments are very much appreciated and be assured that your review will be placed on our review board for them all to see.

Thank you again and I do hope to welcome you back to The Imperial Hotel again when visiting the area.
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband and I stayed one night 12th April, anniversary break. Room was small but was fine, very clean.
Staff were professional, and friendly.
Service in restaurant was excellent.
Food was very good.
We did go and use the leisure facilities of the sister hotel, The Barnstaple Hotel which was 5-10 mins away and was disappointed with this, would not go again but would definitely stay at the Imperial again.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your review of The Imperial Hotel and for scoring us so highly. It is so pleasing that you chose to spend your Anniversary with us and I am glad that your stay was most enjoyable.

Your comments regarding our hard working staff members across all departments are lovely to read, and be assured these will be passed on to them via our 'review board' located in our staff room.

It is also great to read that you enjoyed your dining experience with us here at The Imperial; this is something we pride ourselves on so comments such as these are very much appreciated, particularly by our team of chefs.

Ashtead
Reviewed 14 April 2014

After check in to our room we found that there was quite a pervasive odour. After some discussion with the duty manager it was agreed that the smell was almost certainly due to recent decorating works. We were immediately offered an alternative upgraded room and help with moving our luggage. Excellent service recovery!
The room was very clean and well serviced. The location for Barnstaple can not be bettered. The staff are friendly and courteous.
Our only minor criticism is that whilst the breakfast menu is comprehensive the quality of some items was not of the 'first order' - eg. tinned mushrooms, thin tomato juice, rather tasteless black pudding. In contrast the sausage and bacon was excellent and the food was served on nice hot plates.
Overall, a very good place to stay.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Many thanks for taking the time to review The Imperial Hotel following your recent stay with us.

I am particularly pleased that you found the hotel had a friendly atmosphere and that the staff are very professional and courteous in their work.

With regards to the 'pervasive odour' in the room on arrival, it did turn out to be that of paint and it was more than a pleasure to move you to another room.
Your comments regarding breakfast will be looked into and be assured that we never use tinned mushrooms, we always use fresh mushrooms.

WROUGHTON
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was born and brought up in Braunton moved away in 1973 for work but try to make it back down every six weeks or so. We usually stay with family but occasionally book into a hotel. We always choose a 'Brend' hotel. This time we chose the Imperial and it certainly did not disappoint! It is beautiful hotel, clean, with friendly efficient staff and delicious food, in fact everything you would expect from a 'Brend' hotel. Would thoroughly recommend.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am delighted that you felt the staff were 'friendly and efficient' and that our food was to a high standard and the Imperial didn't dissapoint.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Can't really fault this hotel. I have stayed several times, it is in a good location, central but quiet, plenty of free parking, comfortable rooms, friendly and helpful staff and although I have only ever had breakfast there, the food was excellent. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. My only moan was that just before I stayed there last year, I was sent an email about a special offer which covered the period of my stay. When I got to the hotel I enquired about the offer but was told that it did not apply to existing bookings and therefore I could not take advantage of it. I think I'll wait for the next special offer to come through before I book again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review of The Imperial Hotel, Barnstaple.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us once again and that you found the service of our staff to be of a very high standard.
I am delighted that you found the hotels location ‘good’ central and quiet and that your room was comfortable, together with our friendly and helpful staff.

With regards to our Special Offers, these are generally Late Availabilty Deals used to fill up any remaining rooms. This would mean that you wouldn't be guaranteed the room type you want, view or no view etc etc. Booking early at tariff rate may be a little more expensive but it does ensure that we can match your exact requirements in advance.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The Imperial Hotel service is very good, and is maintained to the highest standard' The staff are very professional,helpful and cheerful. Excellent value,
We used the Bistro for an informal meal and it was excellent quality and good value for money.
We will use this hotel again,

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review of The Imperial Hotel following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you found the service you recieved was very good and you felt the staff were 'professional, helpful and cheerful' not to mention that our food from our Bistro was excellent and good value.

As you mentioned about the hotels excellent maintainance, we have a dedicated in-house maintainance team that ensures that everything is tip top and kept too the highest possible standards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Barnstaple Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!