“My room”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Reviewed 10 June 2014

last year I had a room where I had to climb stairs to access it and when I left I asked that in future that I have a room with out stairs to it,i was assured that this will be on my file as a regular visitor. Low and behold what do I get this time, a room with 6 stairs to access it,room228.
I do not make this request lightly as there is a reason for it mainly that suffering with arthritis in knees it is painful climbing stairs.I rang reception to see if I could change but no other rooms available,once again reception said they would make a note of it,i certainly hope so.Please note im not complaining about the room just the access to it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mh_silverlock
BrendHotels, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for your review of The Imperial Hotel following your stay with us.

Firstly may I thank you for choosing to return to the Imperial again.

It is most disappointing that on this occasion you were unhappy with the room allocated to you.
Be assured your comments have been taken on board and I have made a note on your profile that your preference is to stay in a room with no steps if you were to book again, which I very much hope you do.

Thank you again and please accept my apologies for the bedroom allocation not being to your liking on this occasion.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,687)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The hotel itself is typical olde worlde seaside hotel - so it's comfortable but not modern. Perfectly positioned in Barnstaple to get to all the great beaches, and plenty of parking, which is important! The breakfast was very nice, cooked fresh rather than a buffet style, so they could cater for every need, and the staff were very friendly. We've stayed there before and we'll be staying there again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review The Imperial Hotel, Barnstaple.

I am most disappointed that on this occasion we were not able to satisfy your requirements enough to achieve a 5 out of 5 rating despite all your positive comments regarding all aspects of the hotel.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back once more in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

In all aspects The Imperial is the yardstick by which other hotels should be measured. We have stayed on numerous occasions and never been disappointed. The food this time exceeded our high expectations. Those behind the scenes in the kitchens matched the expertise of their front of house colleagues. Brilliant stay. Why would you stay anywhere else?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Many thanks for taking the time to review The Imperial Hotel following your recent stay with us.

Your repeat visits to The Imperial are gratefully appreciated and I am so glad that you found your time with us exceeded expectations on all counts.

Your review will be placed on our review board for all our staff to read.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Another superb stay and absolutely nothing too complain about. The food, staff, service, rooms, location all fantastic.The imperial hotel deserves all the positive comments its gets and as for comments about average age being 60+, you measure the quality and standards not on age discrimination but the hotel itself. Will be back again soon and look forward to staying well into my 60's, which is a long way off of course.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your glowing review of The Imperial Hotel following your recent stay with us.

I am most glad that you felt the staff were 'friendly and efficient' and that our food was to a high standard together with all the other positive comments you gave The Imperial Hotel.

Be assured that your review will be placed on our review board for all to see.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

As long standing visitors to the Imperial, my MIL, husband and I were again, not disappointed with our stay this time around. The staff were, as always, welcoming, friendly and attentive, but not overpowering - nothing was too much trouble, even our request for a couple of extra pillows when my husband's asthma began playing up. The rooms were clean, very comfortable and quiet. Even though we have been many times before, the menu never fails to impress. If you require something different, your request e.g. a salad instead of a set meal, can be accommodated. It is ALWAYS a pleasure to return to the Imperial.

Room Tip: Although no gym or pool, there are good facilities at the nearby sister hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alnwick

Thank you for your review of The Imperial Hotel following your stay with us.

Firstly may I thank you for choosing to return to the Imperial again and for your kind words on our hard working team of staff, food, service and attentiveness.

It is also great to hear that you have stayed with us many times before and I very much hope we can welcome you back once again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed in Room 215 overlooking the river which was very comfortable and quiet. Undisturbed sleep which is the most important thing. Definitely recommend this one. Only thing that was needed was a good lamp for the dressing table.
The staff are superb, extremely helpful, friendly and professional.
Breakfast was excellent, hot food, hot plates, so nice to have it to order instead of 'buffet' breakfast which unfortunately a lot of hotels have.
We didn't eat in the main restaurant in the evening as formal dress code so instead used the bistro, well it's actually a small room with just 5 tables but the food was very good.
With every respect to the more mature person, it was like being in the film 'Cocoon' but this did make for peaceful stay, no raucous behaviour!
The lounge area very comfortable & cosy. The bar is small but adequate, only complaint there is the repetitive music, that could be improved. An enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Room 215 overlooking the river, quiet, large and very comfortable
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

It is very pleasing that as a business traveller, you enjoyed your time at The Imperial and felt that our service was attentive as well as your room very well maintained.

Be assured that all your comments will be taken on board, with one already being actioned in respect of the backround music.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Our third visit this year to our favourite hotel! The Imperial is ideally placed in Barnstaple - close to the river Taw, shops, theatre and transport - including the delightful train journey from Barnstaple to Exeter. The hotel is comfortable, food outstanding and all the staff so helpful and friendly - what more could you want!

Room Tip: All comfortable
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am particularly pleased that you found the hotel had a friendly atmosphere and that the staff are very professional in their work, together with "outstanding food".

As you mentioned the Hotel is ideally located within the the town with everything you need right on the door step.

It is also great to hear that you have stayed with us many times before and I very much hope we can welcome you back to The Imperial Hotel once again in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
1 mi away
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bideford
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!