“Clean , what more do you need :)”
Review of Barnstaple Hotel

Barnstaple Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
GreenLeadersGold level
“Clean , what more do you need :)”
Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights while working at Petroc , clean and tidy .
Ordered room service and food was very good. Came and collected tray once finished.

As other people said this is more of a motel than a hotel, but don't be put off.
Clean and tidy what more do you need from a hotel/ motel.

Single Woman traveller.

Overall ok hotel ,has spa and pool indoor/outdoor if needed.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Becka87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Bristol
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I Would give this Hotel a very wide Birth, Purely due to their response to my Complaint on this particular Hotel....... which is actually a very old "MOTEL" painted White.
You can imagine my sinking heart when the taxi pulled into a shabby old Motel positioned 40 ft away from an indoor Bowling complex??? The whole Hotel closes early and sadly so does the complex next door ( anything would have been better than an early ...SHUT BAR )
There is nowhere to go late unless you want to Taxi into town....if you like long walks in the late of night you could take a stride out but I would go prepared with a charged mobile phone and taxi fare in your pocket due to the position of this Hotel I would suggest you don't walk it alone.
With the Hotel being Based by the side of a very busy road ( as it's an ex "Motel") our view from our Balcony did have some hills but the forefront was Lorries and Cars, Fumes and Tarmac.
This didn't go down very well with the rotting wood that we were sat under ( the management advises that all the Rotten Wood has been removed) shame they didn't think to fill in the gaps? at £50 a head (without meals) this Hotel is bleak on the eye .
Dead weeds on the balcony that had been there long enough to grow be healthy and die .
The broken patio table which fell apart as soon as we sat at it we asked for it to be fixed and it wasn't.
The last day the door lock fell out the patio door, and I would suggest also be aware of the step coming from the patio into the room. A very good job the bed is directly in front of you as you may well end up flying on to it a few times before you leave)
Extremely disappointed with the whole experience...
Red spots on both sheets in the morning. however I have no idea if they were there the night before at £50 a head ( with no food) it's not something I would think it necessary to check for, but I would suggest some before and after photos of your own would be a good move.
Shame I didn't go in to the Hotel with the frame of mind that I left with as I took a photo of everything before I left purely due to the upset as this was one of my last chances to have a stay away with my Mum and it was awful to say the least.
If you save to go away I would definitely give this place a miss, if you're driving through for work and need to stay over then give it a go. if you want to spend £50 a night and £20 on a dinner.

The amenities for relaxation are used by the local residents who even without ropes do have the lane swimming mentality and when you are relaxing in a pool the last thing you want to hear in your ear is " can you let us swim please"..."excuse me" or "we are swimming in this area" Don't be fooled by any of the luxury looking relaxing retreat goodies as for us it just wasn't the case.

The one true good thing that we experienced about the hotel was the food, which was "amazing" and I wonder does this Hotel mainly survive with its conference rooms and local residents using its "luxury" facilities and its fine dinning ? as it had very little care for 2 holiday makers.

I must stress that If you need a local Hospital there is one! please make sure you have all information you need for your own emergency as the staffs knowledge or interest is "extremely" limited to the point we where told there was " no" hospital??

Sadly this was one of my last chances to get away with my Mother and it took me some time to readdress the experience and write a complaint to the management ( whos responce was a bit rediculouse to the point of advising me " we dont put ropes up for lane swimming" its not rocket science to see you dont need to and a sign should be in place.
I hold my choice of this hotel as a massive mistake partialy due to the choice of photos in the adverts which look soft fluffy and relaxing....its an ex Motel next to a main road! and i feel like ive thrown my Money down the drain!
So after I post this comment I must swiftly move on forget the bad choice i made in Aug 2012.

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Julie B
BrendHotels, General Manager at Barnstaple Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2013
Dear Julie B,

Please do not feel your concerns were overlooked, they were taken very
seriously. On receiving your initial email myself, the health and
safety manager of the Barnstaple Hotel and the health and safety
manager of the whole Brend Group launched a full investigation.
Unfortunately due to the lapse in time since your stay (6 months) we
found some of them difficult to investigate.

It would appear that the patio table clearly had a broken part and i
am unsure as to why it was not replaced at the time as my housekeeping
and reception teams are extremely efficient at reporting any faults to
maintenance and management.

With regards to your comments about the rotting wood, this was quite
safe and part was removed to avoid it dropping onto the patio and was
awaiting replacement by our maintenance team. Having checked my
managers lock-up book our bar closed no earlier than 11.45pm during
your stay; it is usually open until 11.30pm and will stay open longer
if there are residents who are drinking in the bar.

Further to the point raised about being told there was no hospital, i
find that somewhat strange as not only does reception hold the numbers
for NHS direct and North Devon District Hospital, but also my
reception team have all lived and worked in the Barnstaple area for a
minimum of 6 years.

I do apologise that The Barnstaple Hotel was not for you, as i
understand it was important for you to spend some time with your
mother. I only hope that you did have some quality time with your mum.

Kindest Regards,
Martyn Hawes
Hotel Manager
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Stayed in other Brend Hotels before, wasn't sure about the location of this one, but as we were going to cycle the tarka trail so seemed a good choice.
Needn't have worried excellent food and service nothing too much trouble. Room lovely, facilities brilliant. We will be back.

Room Tip: try and get one looking inside the hotel. Same with any hotel always better not to be one of the fi...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kltoms
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My 9 year old son and myself are just back from a short 2 night break.Excellent value for money-got free upgrade on room- food excellent although I would have preferred home made chips( not frozen).What really makes the hotel is the staff-without exception they were excellent-we were looked after fantastically well!! Every bit as good as The Imperial which we have also stayed in.Couldnt fault the hotel in at all-really enjoyable 2 night stay-planning July trip!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank maggiemcd
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Best hotel in North Devon everything is what you would expect food and service is first class there is a gym and swimming pool on site plus tenpin bowling next door. location is also good just outside town and excellent if you want to walk or cycle. it is also resonable price wise i shall be returning in the near future.

Room Tip: best hotel in North Devon everything is just what you would expect got a gym and swimming pool there...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank fran s s
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed for my birthday and my husband to surf for 2 nights on the 11.01.13on knowing it was my birthday they upgraded us to the bray suite which was lovely the food was excellent and the staff exceptional I would definetly recommend this hotel mr mrs pattison midlands

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Patt04
Helston, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Completed a Winter break deal at Brend Hotel Chain property, 'The Barnstaple Hotel', Barnstaple, N Devon. Excellent value for money, Bed, Breakfast and Evening meal for 38 pounds per person per night. Lovely Hotel, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, Jacuzzi, Sauna, a very well equipped gymnasium, super bedrooms and food of the highest quality. Staff were pleasant, efficient and very happy to help. Only negative is do check that there are no events taking place at the Hotel when you visit which could affect the Restaurant, such as a wedding; as this makes for a difficult dining experience. I definately recommend a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the far end of the 1st floor corridor ie room 36 or similar, if you value a lot of...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leonard P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Park Hotel
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel
Highbullen Hotel
Highbullen Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chittlehamholt

Been to Barnstaple Hotel? Share your experiences!