“I'd have liked to stay longer”
Review of Barnstaple Hotel

Barnstaple Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 March 2014

An overnight stay in Devon, straight in and out again was my visit. Good beer and excellent food, including a wonderful breakfast, nice room and a good nights sleep is all a tired traveller wants. I didn't have time to use the gym, indoor or outdoor swimming pools which all looked impressive, I was really sorry I didn't have time to use them.

So if I were to go back to Devon soon this is where I'd stay, I really enjoyed my brief excursion.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Barnstaple Hotel

Reviewed 17 March 2014

The food is good. The rooms are good. There are more staff than usual. The majority were very helpful and friendly. The lighting in the room where we played bridge was superb, unusual for a hotel. I liked the big efforts to aid cleanliness to avoid diseases. The price we paid was very good.

So what could be wrong? As others have mentioned it is noisy because it is incredibly difficult to shut bedroom doors without a loud bang.

When we wanted to check out one piece of luggage was too heavy for us to carry downstairs, so we asked for help. 12 minutes later: no help. The two receptionists did not seem to have any idea of the urgency despite us clearly wanting to get away. I had to raise my voice, and actually shout at someone before I got any action.

When my bridge partner went into the dining room on the third night and chose a nice table for two she was summarily ejected from it by a very rude member of staff who told her it was a table for two. Despite there being two of us apparently we had to sit at a far less satisfactory table in the middle. She was actually supported by another member of staff who was not as rude but clearly thought she had no right to pick a table. Of course the original table got a different couple of people.

Finally the Wi-Fi is incredibly poor. Free, certainly, but when you try to use it you find that it takes for ever to download hardly anything.

So a good hotel but they must make some efforts in training the staff to deal with luggage and not to be rude to incoming diners, and they should sort out the Wi-Fi.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Not taking into account the overall poor location & dated decor, the lack of lift facility which is ridiculous.
The staff who generally seemed uninterested.

Upon walking down the corridor towards our room I joked how it resembled a scene from the haunted film 'The Shining'!
The room seeming below average and very overly priced for what was on offer. No fridge, a tv in poor position to view from the bed without needing a pair of binoculars and a crooked neck. Not liking the interconnecting door to the next room.

My mum & I both felt a hard to explain ghostly presence which continued from the horrible corridor, into the room and gradually became stronger and even more creepy the longer we stayed, I think we barely managed just over 2 hours, we both felt sickly nauseous, flushed face and desperate to just get out of there. Just horrible!!

I would never stay in this place again if you paid me.
We couldn't wait to get in the car and drive away.

Avoid at all costs, choose a bus shelter if need be.

P.s... Thankyou Jesus for Premiere Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014
6  Thank MissBlueEyes44
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Nice hotel, nice room, but generally can be quite noisy. Room doors have a spring on them so they slam shut. As you can imagine this can be quite noisy. Also next dope to a ten pin bowling alley so if on that side of the hotel you can pick the noise up of the people outside smoking etc. Room really nice and spacious, but not sure it was value for money.

Room Tip: Make sure you are at the end of the hotel away from the ten pin bowling alleys.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Very, very good all round. The prices were very reasonable and very good value for money. Breakfast and dinner on both days were excellent and all the staff were friendly, helpful and very efficient. It is not the best site, on the edge of Barnstaple, but the all round quality and value for money makes it well worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank branny1947
Reviewed 7 March 2014

On arrival, very friendly receptionist, The room was ready earlier than expected, which was very comforting. The swimming pool is absolutely relaxing and at a lovely temperature. The room was very clean and neat. The bathroom was so nice i had probably about 8 baths in 2 days "not that i don,t bath at home!" oh and about 3 showers!. I cannot wait till it gets to the warmer days of summer to enjoy the outside pool and have the lovely breakfasts that are served to your room on the balcony.. well they don,t serve the breakfasts to the balcony as they don,t have ladders. plus that would be against health and safety rules.. you have to take it from you room door and carry it yourself.
i have stayed here for about 3 times now and thoroughly enjoy the peace and quiet of my hum drum job! its very relaxing and the food is really good.The cleaners are really pleasant and sweet. so all in all when i come to Barnstaple this is my hotel of choice. I have never stayed here in the summer yet, but will do reguarly in 2014 . on departure a different receptionist, and again very pleasant indeed. This is my diary for my stay. i really enjoyed it. a big thankyou to the staff !

Room Tip: choose room 40 up because it has pool views and the sun will beam in in the morning.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Sasha Shadylady G
BrendHotels, Amy Noblett Office Manager at Barnstaple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, it was lovely to hear you enjoy staying here so much. Our outdoor pool will be opening soon and is typically heated to 32 C so I am sure you will enjoy that too. Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was expecting cheap and cheerful - as a central location with good access for local beaches it would serve us well. It was so much more than that. The location is on a leisure park it's not picturesque but the interior was great. The pool is gorgeous, our room was refurbished and v comfortable. The food was v good. However the staff are incredible. They could teach many 4 or 5 star hotels a thing or two - especially the chains. We stayed with 2 very young children one of whom was on antibiotics. Not only did they chill his medicine for us - they arranged to puta mini fridge in our room so we could do the night dose without getting it from reception. The reception and bar staff were professional but friendly - making our stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. I can't fault them. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again or recommend this venue.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your review, it was lovely to hear such nice compliments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and our team made everything as comfortable as possible for you. We hope you decide to visit us again soon, and look forward to welcoming you if you do.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Park Hotel
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Woolacombe

Been to Barnstaple Hotel? Share your experiences!