Barnstaple Hotel
  • Pool
Durrant House(Bideford)
  • Pool
1,443 results
All reviewsoutdoor poolbowling alleykids clubburger kingchanging roomsan industrial estatehealth clubleisure facilitiesno liftgreat facilitieswould stay againfirst classlovely hotelnorth devonfunction roombrend hotelsexcellent food
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stopped here for 3 nights for a wedding in Bideford and were a little dubious about the location - but found that it was central to the places we wanted to visit whilst down here. Beds were made up everyday with fresh towels and the tea and coffee facilities replenished daily . Everywhere was spotless, the facilities felt quite indulgent with the lovely warm pool which was never overfull. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. We would defineatly stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 20 March 2014

An overnight stay in Devon, straight in and out again was my visit. Good beer and excellent food, including a wonderful breakfast, nice room and a good nights sleep is all a tired traveller wants. I didn't have time to use the gym, indoor or outdoor swimming pools which all looked impressive, I was really sorry I didn't have time to use them.

So if I were to go back to Devon soon this is where I'd stay, I really enjoyed my brief excursion.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2014

The food is good. The rooms are good. There are more staff than usual. The majority were very helpful and friendly. The lighting in the room where we played bridge was superb, unusual for a hotel. I liked the big efforts to aid cleanliness to avoid diseases. The price we paid was very good.

So what could be wrong? As others have mentioned it is noisy because it is incredibly difficult to shut bedroom doors without a loud bang.

When we wanted to check out one piece of luggage was too heavy for us to carry downstairs, so we asked for help. 12 minutes later: no help. The two receptionists did not seem to have any idea of the urgency despite us clearly wanting to get away. I had to raise my voice, and actually shout at someone before I got any action.

When my bridge partner went into the dining room on the third night and chose a nice table for two she was summarily ejected from it by a very rude member of staff who told her it was a table for two. Despite there being two of us apparently we had to sit at a far less satisfactory table in the middle. She was actually supported by another member of staff who was not as rude but clearly thought she had no right to pick a table. Of course the original table got a different couple of people.

Finally the Wi-Fi is incredibly poor. Free, certainly, but when you try to use it you find that it takes for ever to download hardly anything.

So a good hotel but they must make some efforts in training the staff to deal with luggage and not to be rude to incoming diners, and they should sort out the Wi-Fi.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Not taking into account the overall poor location & dated decor, the lack of lift facility which is ridiculous.
The staff who generally seemed uninterested.

Upon walking down the corridor towards our room I joked how it resembled a scene from the haunted film 'The Shining'!
The room seeming below average and very overly priced for what was on offer. No fridge, a tv in poor position to view from the bed without needing a pair of binoculars and a crooked neck. Not liking the interconnecting door to the next room.

My mum & I both felt a hard to explain ghostly presence which continued from the horrible corridor, into the room and gradually became stronger and even more creepy the longer we stayed, I think we barely managed just over 2 hours, we both felt sickly nauseous, flushed face and desperate to just get out of there. Just horrible!!

I would never stay in this place again if you paid me.
We couldn't wait to get in the car and drive away.

Avoid at all costs, choose a bus shelter if need be.

P.s... Thankyou Jesus for Premiere Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014
6  Thank MissBlueEyes44
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Nice hotel, nice room, but generally can be quite noisy. Room doors have a spring on them so they slam shut. As you can imagine this can be quite noisy. Also next dope to a ten pin bowling alley so if on that side of the hotel you can pick the noise up of the people outside smoking etc. Room really nice and spacious, but not sure it was value for money.

Room Tip: Make sure you are at the end of the hotel away from the ten pin bowling alleys.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo