“Carvery Lunch”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
North Staffs
“Carvery Lunch”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Our first Carvery here was very good, times 1200hrs till 1400hrs we arrive 1230hrs with no booking but they quickly found us a nice table with good linen the service excellent the meats Pork & Beef succulent melt in your mouth good selection of veggys all very tasty the price for OAPs £6.50 could not fault the waiting staff service will visit again on our next trip to North Devon

1 Thank John-NorthStaffs
BrendHotels, General Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your Park Hotel visit. It is lovely to hear you were so pleased with your dining experience and that you are hoping to return to us. If you are in the area during October or November 2013 we are running a fantastic Carvery + Free hot sweet offer every Tuesday - Friday, well worth a visit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Chester
Reviewed 7 September 2013

One of a chain that seems to have a monopoly of the town's hotels [and eating places].Plenty of parking available to the rear.Front faces across road to lovely park and river
Room 204 [twin]was in an annexe [converted house] at the opposite side of the rear car park from the hotel itself.Its decor was very dated,shower was 'tired',awful ,too long shower curtain, wall tiles & slip mat needed thorough bleaching but it was comfortable and otherwise spotless,and when we stayed, very quiet at night. Could be a damp trip for breakfast across the car park if it rained.
The staff were ALL excellent,cheery ,welcoming,friendly and efficient. Most impressed by them all.
Food : Evening meals were EXCELLENT,beautifully cooked and very well presented.
Breakfasts not so.Poached egg overcooked & presented for some reason on several pieces of soggy ,only marginally toasted bread too.Scrambled egg was tasteless soggy and granular in texture.Bacon and mushrooms looked a better bet!
Prices: Apparently if you stay Tues to Thurs,Thursday is the dearest night.

Room Tip: Ask if it has a park view.
1 Thank Stewart G
West Sussex, England
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had an overnight stay at the Park Hotel to enable us to attend my Aunties funeral in Torrington the following day . (It was also the anniversary of my late Mothers death so my emotions were running very high) The Park Hotel was chosen after reading all the positive reviews on here. We decided to go for the Dinner Bed & Breakfast option as we wanted to have a relaxing evening after a 4 1/2 drive. Check in was really quick & easy and the girl on reception offered us a larger room after hearing the reasons why we were visiting Barnstable. We had to request a jug of water for the room as the water from the taps is not suitable for drinking!!!!. The room was very pleasant, average sized and very clean no fault could be found. Dinner was served between 6 & 9.30 so we decided to go for a walk along the river before going for dinner at approx. 8pm. We ordered our starters of prawn cocktail & pate. My partner opted for the carvery whilst I went for the ‘A La carte menu’ of slow roasted belly pork as the vegetables on the carvery did not look fresh enough for my tastes and I presumed that I would get fresh vegetables with my meal. The starters were served very quickly and were very tasty. My main meal turned up and my partner received the same dish as myself so this had to be returned. I was then told that I had to select my vegetables from the carvery section. I was not happy with this and asked the chef how long the vegetables had been on the servery he replied about 30mins and agreed that they looked very sorry for themselves, he did offer to get me some fresh carrots and peas. My partner took a selection of vegetables. The lady sitting on the table next to us was commenting that her vegetables were cold. When my partner & myself tried ours we found them to be very tepid. I asked to see the manager and were quiet shocked with he's attitude towards my complaint. He arranged for the vegetables to be replaced and the carvery was very quickly cleared away. Our vegetables were replaced by a very small selection of vegetables which appeared to have been reheated maybe in a microwave. During this 2 waiting staff came up and apologised, both were very sympathetic especially one Lady who I think was called Sandra (no name badges are worn) she went out of her way to get our room check out extended plus went to the local Tesco’s on her way home to get some soya milk for my morning tea. The manager returned to our table to ask if we were happy we both commented on the selection of vegetables and all he could say was “what else do you want me to do” in a very matter of fact way. I became very distressed with the way the manger was talking to me and asked him to leave me alone which he did. Again the waiting staff could not have been more pleasant towards us. We had a lengthy discussion with Sandra and a young tall man who were both very sympathetic towards us. The young man agreed that the vegetables were tepid as he had served himself a meal whilst we were eating our starters. He advised us that the Manager had arranged for us not to be charged for the meal and a complimentary liquor coffee was served to us with a big smile. We were also informed that the manager wanted to speak to us personally when we checked out but this never happened.
Would I visit again? not sure. A very pleasant hotel has been let down by its manager, it is a great shame as all the staff we came across could not have done any more for us or was he having a bad day?

2 Thank Monica60
south wales
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I can't comment on a stay here but if the Sunday carvery and service is anything to go by I should imagine the rooms are very nice. The hotel is immaculate and the staff extremely well presented, professional and friendly. The dining room is nicely laid out and tables dressed nicely. The buffet carvery is outstanding, I have never seen such a huge selection of vegetables and even different types of potatoes. The meats were tender and tasty, definately a must for a visit when in the area. A very well run hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

The park hotel is a strange mix of newer and older buildings. I stayed with my elderly mother for two nights on bed breakfast and evening meal . Mum needs a room with a walkin shower and no steps, which she explained to the receptionist on booking mum was allocated room 205 a single room with walk in shower but up a small flight of steps not ideal for some one who has difficulty walking , on asking the hotel said they had no other rooms that were suitable, so mum struggled for two days ! My room was 210 a double, both rooms were clean, nicely furnished with comfortable beds ,flat screen tvs, tea and coffee making, etc. room service was available . Breakfast was individually cooked to order and was very nice also a selection of help yourself cold options. Evening meal was from a good menu with also dayly specials , the food was good and the deserts were lovely for a treat ! Overall a good hotel, but a strange mix of buildings spread out quite a bit, for instance both our rooms were not in the main bullding but across the car park in the garden room building " saw no sign of the garden " . All in all a nice stay in a nice hotel

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Nigel_Julie
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Staff very helpful, very clean, fully refurbished bathrooms, good breakfast with lots of choices, free parking with CCTV; the only one inconvenience, the beds were not very comfortable (mattress too hard).
On the day of check out we've had to leave very early, therefore they arranged a cold breakfast and coffee for us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liana N
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This a wonderful Hotel in a great location; close to the Town centre, adjacent to Rock Park and River Taw. What you see is NOT what you get here - City Centre appearance gives way to 5 star service and accommodation. The 'Garden Court' annex is a treat I am almost reluctant to expose - great sized rooms of immaculate quality. Barnstaple is another undiscovered treasure - great shops, very friendly and helpful staff. The best accolade is saved for last - Sam and her colleagues at Reception and in the Restaurant / Kitchens / Bar are the best in the world !! 200 characters is insufficient space to recount my admiration and gratitude. Their professional, friendly service made this a lifetime experience worth sharing - Thank you.

Room Tip: Garden Court Rooms a must
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SteveDebIzzy
BrendHotels, General Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Park Hotel. I am glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable time both with us and in Barnstaple itself. I am also very pleased read yet another positive review about our staff! I will be sure to pass on your comments and appreciation and hope to welcome you back in the future for another enjoyable experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Barnstaple Hotel
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bideford

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!