“Bingo, beer and boozers”
Review of The Watergate

The Watergate
Ranked #58 of 158 Restaurants in Barnstaple
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This is the 2nd of the towns spoons. On our early evening visit the place was booming. We where here for 'rock and roll bingo' but struggled to get a seat. We did manage tho and the bingo was an entertaining hour and it obviously has its regulars as after it was over the place thinned a little.

This is obviously where the younger (me and my friend are 38 and 21 respectively) revellers in the town start thier night out.

Although i found the door staff very good doing I.D. checks on the floor for any one who may gave gotten past them, i did find it very rowdy for a spoons and the venue was left in quite a state.

We did visit for a drink in the afternoon and it seemed more 'typical spoons' but we only stayed for one and sat outside.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I went to play bingo a week ago and the same people always win which makes me think it's a scam. The food here is good for the price you pay but I don't think the cutlery gets washed ever. Very good prices on alcohol and its not bad to start your night in of your going out into town.

BASP104, Manager at The Watergate, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Hannah, thank you for taking the time to do a review.

Glad you enjoy the food & drink, sad to see that you felt the need to mark it down as for something which isn’t true :-(

The bingo games are pre-selected at random, have 200 tickets a game which are sold at random and every ticket would win if you knew all the tracks.

Sometimes players miss tracks as they aren’t aware, other times we get false calls but I can assure you it isn’t a scam. We want as many different people to win

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

Recently returned to Devon after a year away and decided to visit The Watergate as in the past it has been one of our favourite pubs to enjoy a nice pint of real ale or cider. However, today we called in for a bite to eat but as we had our dog with us we sat outside as we were fully aware dogs were not allowed inside the premises. I went to the bar an ordered our drinks and meals then returned to sit with my wife and friend. After about 10 mins we were approached by the duty manager who informed us we were not allowed to sit outside with the dog and would have to leave as dogs were not allowed. I pointed out we saw the sign on the door saying no dogs allowed and assumed like in any other similar establishments meant no dogs allowed inside the premises! She said it was company policy and it also applied to their outside seating area. As we had already ordered and paid for our gfood and drinks she said we could stay on this occasion - we did but it certainly ruined our visit on this occasion - I do think their signage needs to be much more explicit to say including the outside seating area. I don't think we will be returning any time soon. Very disappointed with this ruling.

BASP104, General Manager at The Watergate, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2018

Hi David, thank you for your recent review of your experience.

Unfortunately it is a company decision to not allow any dogs on the premises, and we have tried to make customers aware of this hence there being multiple signs outside the premises in the seating area.

This has been the case since opening almost a decade ago.

Sorry you felt you needed to place a 1* review, but sides this also reflect how your service was and the food your ordered?

If there was an issue with this, please contact us at the pub.

Thanks

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

A regular place for a visit with friends for coffee and lunch - the new coffee machine has just made a lot of difference! It makes a change to have vary your coffee throughout your stay at one price (or even tea or a decaffeinated). The price has risen slightly but that's the same everywhere, it's still good value. The menu variety for lunch has decreased in size and prices have increased slightly too but we always receive consistent quality of service and food. Always a reliable place for us but I feel it's looking "tired" and in need of a refit.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

Lovely beer! Apart from that I was being scowled at by the staff because my friends around the world were ordering me food via their own app!
Don’t get me wrong the fried eggs and bowl of peas were beautiful. Unfortunately the male staff let the place down I’m afraid. (Watergate) (table 63)