“Good hotel in a great city”

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn Durham City Centre
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 30 October 2012

The room is very comfortable with a huge bed and a great heating system. We were lucky enough to a have a view with a glimpse of the Cathedral . The hotel is well placed for all the restaurants, cinema, theatre etc that Durham has to offer. Nando's is excellent as is the Ebony Bar. The staff are friendly and helpful especially Andrea at breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,674)

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I booked two nights at this hotel via the non-refundable rate. As it turned out I couldn't make the first night, so spoke to the hotel to tell them and say I'd be arriving Saturday morning not Friday night - mainky because I didn't want them to cancel the entire booking because I wasn't there on Friday.

When I got there on Saturday there was no room available - this despite me still paying for the room on Friday. Staff were apologetic.

Nice room, no faults.

My room faced the street at the front of the hotel, and it seemed quite noisy even during the day. I actually thought the window was open, but it wasn't. Noise from the street (shouting etc) was unbelievable, even sleeping with earplugs in. Certainly noisy beyond 2am in the morning. I had to leave very early next day so not a great experience.

I wouldn't stay here again because of the noise.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Batters22
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights recently - it was Saturday and Sunday so we had booked weeks in advance. The reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful with a good sense of humour and we were allocated a second floor room at the quiet side of the hotel facing the sports centre across the road. The room was large and very clean, as with most Premier Inns. The hotel was very near to the city centre - about 5 minutes walk away - and there were bars and restaurants close by. There were no parking facilities but the multi-storey car park at the back of the hotel is discounted for Premier Inn guests. We ate breakfast there both days - the Continental was adequate but the full breakfast was excellent. The bar and restaurant are a bit on the small side and the drinks were expensive but the other couple and ourselves still managed to enjoy our stay and will be back. Durham city is beautiful.

Room Tip: rooms near the sports centre and swimming pool are more quiet - request one on check-in!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank casswife
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Spent one night here in October on a trip around Yorkshire using Premier Inns (others were Harrogate and York).

Excellent location by the river and a nice walk into town centre. The room was, as usual, excellent and very clean. Staff friendly and car park convenient - though I noted other reviewers got a parking discount - this wasn't suggested to us although I did ask about parking!

We never eat the breakfasts on offer as they are usually expensive - instead we got excellent bacon and sausage butties (full Eng on offer) in one of the cafes in Durham.

Lovely city and enjoyed our stay - would recommend both hotel and city to anyone on a short break.

Got the room for a reasonable price - being retired we can book in advance and it is well worth doing that if you can.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stayed for a week in this hotel because I wanted to avoid the unpleasant experiences of my previous stays in B/B that were substandard. This Premier Inn offered a good price and a perfect location in downtown Durham. They were right in both aspects, but there were other elements that were not that good. The room was comfortable, but the washroom was not properly cleaned. It smelled like urine and I noticed that it was because the toilet was dirty. I ended up buying detergent in a nearby supermarket and cleaning it up myself. Another thing was the breakfast. I paid for the breakfast option and went down to the restaurant the next day just to wait for about 20 minutes for a table. When I finally get a table and ordered I had to wait for 30 minutes to get the food. On top of everything, there is only one expresso machine for the whole restaurant, ergo, the line to get that cup of coffee is always long. Finally, they made me pay the week stay up front, which I found unusual. My general impression is that it could have been better for a Premier Inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank nrodrig
Reviewed 23 October 2012

One night in sunny Durham. The hotel was booked late so we had a disabled access room, this meant one walk in shower in a massive wet room of a bathroom. I like premier inns, you know what you are going to get, a bit of luxury on a budget. The staff were all great and very helpful, with a good sense of humour and we were even asked if our breakfast was ok whilst we were eating. enjoyed it.

Room Tip: i would get a room above ground floor and not a disabled access room if you can/dont need to
Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

Nice and clean room at a good location. Service at check-in was good but at the bar and in the restaurant (we only had breakfast) it was terrible; slow and uninterested personnel. WiFi was far from stable, both the 30 minute free as well as the paid version.

• Stayed: October 2012