“Great stay”

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I stayed here on business on a Thursday evening and found this hotel up to the usual very high Premier Inn standards. The location is great, a 10 minute (steep walk) to the station, and minutes from the beautiful city centre. The staff were very friendly and efficient and the breakfast was fine. I had a great nights sleep and as always the premier inn bed was very comfortable. I would certainly stay here if I was coming back whether for business or pleasure.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Cambs
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I had the most lovely stay at this Premier Inn on Sunday night. Room 401 overlooks Chiquitos and the river and is moments away from the local Slug and Lettuce, Nandos, Fat Buddha and the town centre. It's also a 2 minute walk from the Gala Theatre and the central library and the Castle and Cathedral are a pleasant 10 minute stroll.
The staff are all pleasant and helpful - thank you.
The beds are enormous and the rooms are light and airy.
My son is at the University and this is his first year. I will definitely be back on a regular basis. It cost me £29 for the night and I had an excellent night's sleep.
Next time I'll bring my swimming costume and work out gear as the local Recreation Centre is next door.
Parking is £1.40 over the road for 6pm-8am. You can put more into the machine in the morning and for £6 you can stay all day. If you just want an hour it's £1.40.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 401. It was lovely.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank aapjebaapje
UK
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We found the usual (good) Premier Inn standard having stayed here once before. The web site clearly states the hotel is situated in the centre of Durham therefore it is advisable to bear that in mind and keep the double glazed windows closed; we found this to be all that was needed to keep the noise levels acceptable. The staff were helpful and polite and the bar and restaurant area were modern and attractive. The food was basic but good.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend away. Unfortunately it was far from relaxing. When we returned to our room later in the evening all we could hear was the very loud music from night clubs opposite. To be fair the staff were very efficient in dealing with our concerns and we were moved into a different room. However, we still struggled to sleep due to noise made by other people inside and outside the hotel. I can honestly say we got 2 hours sleep if that - once we finally got to sleep we were then woken by a very long line of people queuing to get into the leisure centre at 7am! Looking at other reviews I'm very surprised not more people have found the noise a problem. We did over hear other guests complaining the next morning and we claimed our money back.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank LM100
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Durham City Centre, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Thank you for your review.

It really matters to us that our guests have a comfortable nights sleep, and I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to provide this due to the noise disturbances you encountered throughout your stay.

Please be assured that all your feedback is very important to us as we endeavour to meet all our customer’s needs. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Naina

Online Customer Service Team,
Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2013

Travelled from Wiltshire to attend my sons graduation in Durham. Had a friendly welcome,good nights sleep and felt secure as travelling alone. Everything I needed and set me up for a long day and long journey back. Will use again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SunSeeSand_13
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I regularly stay at this Premier Inn as it close to my family. I have made numerous visits to this Premier Inn and I amazed by the number of staff who remember me on each return visit I make. Even the newer members of staff who do not know are always extremely friendly and kind towards to me.

Andrea the breakfast lady always make time for me, and I can also see that she always gives good customer service to all guests who stay at the Premier Inn. Chris on reception is another member of staff who remembers me and she also gives good customer service to all guests who stay at the Premier Inn.

I have made two visits to this Premier Inn over the recent Christmas / New Year break. On both occasions one being Christmas Day and the other being New Years Day I was allowed to check in early well before the standard 2pm check in time as they had rooms free.

I have to say all the staff at this Premier Inn are asset to the brand and will always put the customer first. This is a great Premier Inn to stay at.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank westward01
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights visiting our daughter who was in panto at the Gala theater. This hotel is in a great location, next door to the theater and has many restaurants and bars around it and within easy walking distance. We went by train and felt we really didn't need a car.
Hotel itself was spotless, the staff were very helpful and friendly. We ate in the restaurant on one of the evenings and the food was very good. Breakfast was very good value for money.
Would definately stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family