“One of the best!!”

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Glasgow, Scotland
“One of the best!!”
Reviewed 26 March 2009

I stayed here for one night with my 17 year old daughter as she was attending one of the Open Days at the University.
I had read the reviews and decided it sounded ideal - it didn't disappoint!
The staff really are so warm and friendly, the room was spacious and immaculately clean, and the cooked breakfast was actually one of the best I've ever tasted - almost as good as mine!
The only downside for us was with regard to internet access - I really needed to use my laptop to check on business emails, and after trying for nearly two hours my daughter asked at Reception and was told that there was a charge, which we honestly did not know about - I wouldn't have tried for all that time if I'd known, I would have just paid for the access!
I was certain when we booked seeing something about free Wifi, but was obviously mistaken. There was nothing in the room mentioning a charge.
Anyway, my daughter went to pay for the shortest time possible - by this time we were ready to go out to dinner so I just wanted to briefly check emails - but they had none of this price band left. I must admit I'm getting suspicious of this in hotels as that's happened three times in the last few months, and I've ended up paying for longer than I really needed. In the end I just used the laptop on the train journey home the next day.
Anyway, apart from that I can't fault it, and will certainly be staying again if my daughter does decide to go to University there.
Durham is a beautiful, warm and friendly place - you'll be spoilt for choice deciding where to eat!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank BRRYSSN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Just returned from a very pleaseant stay In Durham. The room was very clean and the staff very friendly. The breakfasts were very good and worth the money, we did not eat in the restaurant of an evening as we were right in the centre, but non-the-less what we saw looked very good. We ate at Oldfields and Bistro Italiano both in Claypath just located at the back of the hotel. Bistro Italiano was excellent, gets very busy would advise booking, we had to queue outside for a while but was worth it. The staff are very quick and efficient. Oldfields was also very good but my husband's roast potatoes were burnt and we had to complain, not very good for an award winning restaurant, but apart from that the food was good. The cathedral and castle worth a visit, we had a river cruise which was very informative but we broke down as it was the first trip of the season and the hydaulics went, but we all had a good laugh about it and got back safely, thanks to the hard work of the crew.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine P
Forest Row, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2009

This Premier Inn is in a fantastic central location for visiting Durham. The car can be left in the nearby car park, which sadly costs £6 for a twenty four hour period, and that is with the discount provided by the hotel.

The room we stayed in was spotlessly clean and our bed was vast and supremely comfortable. Our daughter did complain, however, that her bed was very hard and uncomfortable.

The breakfast was excellent with a large choice and the lady in charge of the restaurant on both mornings we stayed was very polite, cheerful and helpful.

All the staff were most obliging and could not do enough for us.

A slight downside was that we wanted to use the internet briefly but were not able to take advantage of the one hour option as the hotel had run out of vouchers.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Tannoit
UK
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Only a short walk from Durham railway station. A problem at check in with charging credit card which was resolved later.

Hotel has a small bar and restaurant but close to other restaurants and only a short walk into town centre.

Rooms are standard Premier Inn which means basic but clean with comfortable bed.

Breakfast a good choice of hot and cold with friedly staff.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
Sunderland
Reviewed 21 February 2009

From the moment we checked in the service was second to none- great restaurants/bars behind the hotel ie:slug and lettuce,fat buddha,ask......nothing was too much trouble for the staff and they were even happy to oblige with food after the kitchen had closed for the night! rooms extra clean and quiet! Parking is behind in multi storey at £8.00 per night but do get a slight discount when staying at the hotel if get staff to verify ticket.

1 Thank AvaSunderland
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2009

Stayed here with my wife over the Valentines weekend. Train station less than 10 minutes walk away and it is a great way of travelling to Durham. Arrived not long after 11 AM but very friendly receptionist (Donna) found us a room and provided us with information on the city. Room 316 is an easy access room with masses of space and wet room facility. Could not fault the room at all, it was spotlessly clean and modern. 3rd floor was quiet with only occasional noise from inside and out. Staff were quite outstanding in their friendliness and cheerfulness, well done to them all. Hotel is in an excellent location and right in the centre so everything is within an easy walk. Had breakfast on one morning and it was terrific value for £7.50 with all the food of good quality and yet again cheerful service. Highly recommend the accommodation at this price.

1 Thank Brude
Worcestershire
Reviewed 9 February 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights as we wanted somewhere near to where family lived but didn't want to be near the hotels that take in a lot of football supporters in the Newcastle or Sunderland areas and also didn't want to have to go out of the building to a restaurant next door or nearby for breakfast which several of the Premier Inn's in the area seem to have.

The hotel is clean and the rooms although basic very comfortable. The staff are pleasant and helpful and the breakfasts substantial we didn't eat any other meal in the hotel so can't comment on dinner or snacks.

The hotel has no car park of it's own so visitors have to use the multi story park behind the hotel and pay a reduced rate of £6 for 24 hours. If you take your car in and out you then pay the hourly charges each time.

Although the hotel is basically quiet we did find we could hear the people in the room next door laughing and talking until quite late the first night we were there and were woken by what seemed to be bottle banks that must be in the area being emptied during the night.
We didn't need to use the internet facility but I noted the cost for wifi was £5 for 1 hour or £10 for a 24 hour period. It seems costly to me.

1 Thank WorcestershireBella