“Rediscover the meaning of "service"... in a Premier Inn”

Premier Inn Durham City Centre
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Having had the great misfortune of staying in the Sheffield City Centre branch of the Premier Inn in the past, I was a bit miffed at being sent to the Premier inn in Durham.

The other reviews on this site have it right. The staff go miles out of their way to chat, engage with you, help you out and generally create the impression of the hotel as a great place to stay. They should be commended and rewarded by their Management, as this is some of the best service I've seen in any kind of hotel, let alone a faceless chain.

Obviously it's a premier inn so there are limitations, but the building is relatively new and so it's not too bad. If you're on a budget in Durham, stay here - service impeccable.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Premier_Inn, Guest Relations Advisor at Premier Inn Durham City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2009

Thanks for your feedback. At Premier Inn we endeavour to offer the best value quality stay. All feedback both positive and negative is investigated and acted upon to ensure we are offering our customers the best possible service.

Reviewed 18 August 2009

I was actually quite surprised to find a Premier Inn as number 1 on TripAdvisor, but having stayed there, I now understand. We arrived late on a Sunday night, and were greeted by Karen. A staff member with personality! In a chain hotel! Marvellous. Our rooms were both very clean and comfortable. We ate in the restaurant, as we arrived quite late, and the service (good lad, Sam) was exceptional - very attentive, while the food was also very, very good. The location is great, only 5-10 mins walk to the cathedral/market square - Durham itself is lovely. Yes you have to pay for parking, but as I knew before I booked that was fine. Overall, this is top value, has excellent staff, and is a great place to stay in Durham.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2009

The best location for a hotel in Durham with a 10 min walk to the city centre, the only drawback is having to use a multi story car park overnight (£4 with discount from hotel).
The hotel offers dinner and breakfast and has a bar. It is clean and the staff very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2009

My wife and I stayed for one night at the Premier Inn and we were impressed. The rooms are comfortable and roomy. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast excellent. It was a nice surprise to get a freshly cooked breakfast rather than a buffet. We will definitely be staying again. The only complaint and the reason for 4 instead of 5 stars was that the bathroom had not been cleaned in our room but other wise it was an excellent choice.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Our brass band travelled to Durham to play and march at the 2009 Durham Miners Gala. I can't remember when I've been made to feel so welcome in a British 'chain' hotel. My wife and I were particularly lucky to get a top floor room with oodles of space, but the whole band were treated extremely well and all the staff went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. Breakfast, extra - but freshly cooked to order, was decent value and the only quibble would be that because the hotel was full, there were delays and mix ups with orders.
The situation is perfect: the shortest of walks to many eateries, pubs and information centre; only a little further to the market square and all the shops. We've already booked for next year!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I must admit I chose this hotel as a last resort for a last minute trip I was making with my wife. We have really enjoyed staying B&B at country pubs recently, but I was swayed to consider the Premier Inn because of its excellent city location. I've stayed in many budget hotels for business and always taken the view, "well you got what you paid for", ie accepted certain things because of the lower price. Well, I was really really impressed with this Premier Inn. It was like staying in a hotel that cost twice as much (in fact it was a lot better than many hotels I've well over £100 a night for. The fabric of the building was well cared for and I think the staff reflected pride in their jobs and where they worked and this really showed. They were proactive, keen to OFFER help. The rooms were very spacious and tastefully designed and decorated (clean, minimalist).
The location was brilliant, right in the midst of the city restaurants, shops and sights.
Durham is a beautiful city too - really nice.
We had to pay £6 a day for the carpark, which is cheap for city centre parking but a bit steep to park your car at a hotel in my opinion. However dont let that put you off, it really is the only vague low level whinge I have. Mind you this was balanced up by the cost of drinks at the small bar in the hotel, only cost me £3 for a pint of stella. OK you might pay a bit less in your local (not much less) or maybe not, but these definitely were not elevated hotel rip-off prices, and lets face it, you are only gonna have a swifty before you hit town, and maybe before you turn in.
All of the staff were as described above so I couldnt single out anybody in particular for praise, they were all good.
Breakfasts were generous (even a veggie sausage option for us veggies - although from a personal preference I found these particular bangers a bit spicy and flavoursome for breakfast - I'm not moaning though as its so cool to even be offered an option), the serving staff so helpful, and endless coffee from a really nice costa style ground coffee machine (self service). Breakfasts were cooked to order so no stewed beans, frazzled tommys, or rock hard solid eggs! Home from home and you cant want better than that.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lizandtone
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Spouse was at Durham University for a conference and couldn't get back on the day it finished so I joined her for a two-night city-break. Very painless and friendly check-in, well-appointed room with enormous comfortable bed, Freeview TV, proper bath and amazing shower. Only downside was a lack of a fridge.

The hotel is down at riverside level: the railway station and city centre are both a stiff climb away though the 'Cathedral Bus' circular route visits both, comes every twenty minutes and stops right opposite the hotel so it need not be an issue. We opted for the 'full English' at £7.50 and were not disappointed. Individually cooked and served to the table. The best bit of all, though, is the 'be your own barista'. Help yourself to as much cappuccino, latte, espresso etc. as you like and all fresh-ground from beans!

The only downside to breakfast was Durham 106 - not sure whether that was MHz or decibels: they turn it down a bit when we asked, though.

There is a TV at one end of the bar area (no real lounge) and a small cafe (I'd hesitate to call it a restaurant) at the other, but neither was inviting and we weren't tempted to have an evening meal there. But that said, for B&B we really found it difficult to fault - especially at the price we paid.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business