“Superb!”

Moor End Guest House
Ranked #2 of 40 Durham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My husband and I live in Tyne & Wear and pass Moor End quite regularly on trips into Durham. We always slow down the car to have a look at the window as it was always filled with sparkly lights and tasteful & stylish seasonal decorations and looks cosy and welcoming. I was searching for a place to stay for my husband's birthday (originally looking at Northumberland or North Yorkshire), when it popped up on my search and I discovered it was a guest house - I'm only gutted we didn't find out sooner! We had literally just passed a few nights before and marvelled at the Valentine's decorations, with my husband remarking that it would be a lovely house to live in.

I booked up online straight away and called Debbie, who invited me to come and visit and drop off my husband's birthday gifts the evening before our stay. Martin and Debbie are warm and welcoming and I knew as soon as I walked through the door that I was going to have a really pleasant stay there. When my husband and I returned the following day, we found that Debbie had decorated the room with birthday banners and laid out all of his presents. It felt like Christmas for him! Not only that, they had bought him a bottle of wine and there was a beautiful handmade birthday card for him, with a chocolate bunny and a cupcake with a candle. We were both absolutely delighted at the time and effort which had been put in, for someone they didn't even know!

The room (4) was gorgeous, clean and includes all the necessities (really nice china mugs too with the tea/coffee facilities, not the usual cheap cups and saucers you get at hotels!). After a meal out in Durham we walked back (it took us 35 minutes - we were aiming to visit a couple of pubs on the way but they had closed down). On our return we drank wine on the sofa under the Velux window, looking up at a clear sky of stars - so romantic. Then cuddled up in the ultra-comfortable bed with lovely smelling bed sheets (I am totally changing my fabric softener at home!). Breakfast in the morning was really tasty and more than enough choice on offer! Debbie had set up her Springtime window display early, especially for me (as the Valentine's one had been taken down) and sat us right by the window so that I could see it at it's finest!

This place is an absolute gem, we can't wait to return. Even if you live nearby, it's worth it to enjoy the sights of Durham and feel as though you're getting a mini-break and appreciating the local area. The local takeaways here are supposed to be good, and Debbie offers private use of the breakfast room (which is so nice with candles and an open fire) for an evening meal if needed, we will certainly keep this in mind for next time! Martin & Debbie are the best hosts we have ever had the pleasure to meet at any guest house and do their utmost to ensure you have an enjoyable stay. I recommend this place wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: Have just realised I clicked 'Excellent' for pool and fitness centre - these guys don't...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie S

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed here mid week for one night. Hosts were helpful and obliging and explained everything clearly. Room was quaint comfy and clean with nice en suite bathroom and shower. Everything you need in a local B&B. Free car parking at the rear, great choice for breakfast, free wi-fi, whats not to like, and half the price of the local Premier Inn.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank EnglishRose113
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Super place with easy access to historic Durham. Very friendly hosts who can't do enough to make your stay relaxed and enjoyable. Super value for such a chic place.would definitely recommend this guest house to friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank BarryPeaden
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed at Moor End Guest House for 3 nights while visiting Durham. The welcome we received from Debbie and Martin was first class and they gave us lots of info about the area and then we were showed to our room (Room 4). The room was gorgeous, very tasteful and smelt lovely. We had tea and coffee making facilities, en suite and a very comfortable bed with excellent pillows. We were on the top floor which had lots of character with beams and lovely wood flooring.

Breakfast was delicious and a very good menu to chose from. The breakfast room also smelt lovely (as did all of the house) and had great little trinkets to make you feel at home and a lovely fireplace in the corner.

The car park is around the back of the house and is secure off the road parking which is good.

All in all if I am ever lucky enough to return to Durham, after looking through other B&B's around the area I wouldn't think twice about staying with Debbie and Martin again - thank you for a making our stay in Durham as good as it was.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dombo90
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This stay was an absolute pleasure in every way. The room was lovely, the bathroom was fantastic, and the place was really centrally located. We had a delicious breakfast and our hosts were amazing. We had booked a day they had thought they had blocked out, and yet they STILL came from their night out at the movies to look after us!!! It was an awesome place to stay, and I could not recommend it higher!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bigjedevans
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Martin and Debbie are the type of hosts who make you wish you could stay much longer than you plan to. Both are very welcoming and Debbie cooks the most scrumptious scrambled eggs! As with a previous reviewer, we had our bags carried up to our room by Martin, and what a delightful room it was. Large and airy with lots of little homely touches such as a tea and coffee tray, some cute little knick knacks (lots of hearts!) and lovely lamps. The room was a good size, the bed was very comfortable and the shower was fine. Although we had a car, we elected to use the bus to go into Durham as the buses ran frequently and the stops were both close to the B & B. If I had to pick a negative about Moor End Guesthouse it would be that the choice of dining within walking distance of the B & B is very limited, but if you are happy to drive, the choice is much greater. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would certainly highly recommend it to anyone wanting a very comfortable stay in Durham with really hospitable hosts.,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robyn S
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I arrived at Moor End Guest House after dark and my first impression was great. Fantastic Christmas decorations hung from the windows and it looked like a cosy farmhouse. Debbie greeted me with genuine warmth and even carried my suitcase from the car and took it up to my room. My room was really nicely decorated and clean and I had a comfortable night's sleep.

There was a generous selection of cereals and fresh fruit along with juices and endless toast to accompany huge a full English breakfasts cooked by Martin.

I would definitely recommend Moor End Guest House. The accommodation was lovely and the hosts genuinely warm and friendly without being intrusive.

• Stayed: December 2013