“Spot on!!”

Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Very trendy city centre location as you would expect from Rad blu, great pool and leisure facilities and staff who were always on hand to help. Didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment although bar is very nice and relaxed. Try and get a room on the front if you can- great views down the river!!

• Stayed: April 2011
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review of the hotel.
Im pleased that you enjoyed our fantastic location and trendy hotel
I hope to see you again in Durham soon

Reviewed 30 April 2011

Arrived late. Very efficient check-in. Comfortable room. Room service a tad expensive and quality only just okay. Efficient, quick check-out.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of the hotel.
I am pleased that you found the front office team quick and efficent
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future

Reviewed 25 April 2011

Got a great deal through bookings.com, had a great view of the river from our room.

The location is ideal, a 3min walk from the "trendy" cocktail bars and the best shops.

The room was spacious and clean as was the hotel in general, we had no meals or drinks in the hotel but the bar and restaurant both looked nice.

The staff where helpful and polite, a lot where eastern European and couldn't help with local info.

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Advisor and I look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you back to Durham

Reviewed 22 April 2011

We stayed here while attending a course at Teesside, now for us the location was a bit out of the way but staying in Durham you have everything on your doorstep.
Don't ask me why our company (EDF) booked us here, but it was a great place to stay.
Initial thoughts are it was clean and the rooms are very spacious.
Booking in was a breeze without any problems.
Rooms are very spacious, clean with tea, coffee compliments, mini bar fridge to use, TV, writing area.
Bathroom was clean with shower and bath, you had the use of hairdryer etc which was stored in the wardrobe drawers.
I had free wireless Internet access which was slow but at least I didn't have to pay extra for it, though not sure if our companies agent upgraded to Business class?
Have to say breakfast choice was excellent with fried food, cereal, toast, croissants etc along with the usual tea, coffee and juices.
We never ate in the restaurant as advised through other work colleagues who stayed last year during the same courses.
They reported it as being fine cuisine, so a little pricey with not a lot on your plate, so you finished your meal feeling still hungry.
So as I like my food and a lot of it, I ate out as did the rest of the crew.
The £6.50 charge seems to be a norm for most hotels now which I feel as a paying guest of the hotel a bit of a rip off.
It's something I find you can't avoid now.
However I'm fortunate to get mine reimbursed.
All in all, I had a very pleasant stay at the hotel and would happily stay there again.
Oh beds....bloody comfy ;)

1  Thank SBKE
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor
I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities and I look forward to welcoming you or your colleagues back in the future

Reviewed 21 April 2011

My wife, son and I stayed in the Radisson Blu Durham last weekend. The hotel itself is attractive and modern. The setting is spectacular, on a ebnd on the river ovelooked by the cathedral and castle. The place was very clean and fresh. All good so far. However we had a very poor experience in the expensively priced restaurant.

When we arrived there is was only half full so we did not anticipate any problems. However, having ordered we waited a full forty minutes for our meal without a word from the obviously harassed staff. During that time we heard plates crashing to the floor 3 times! When we eventually managed to get the attention of a staff member our meals magically arrived within seconds but without a word of apology or explanation - they had obviously been sitting forgotten under a heat lamp. All 3 of us had chosen medium steaks - 2 were of poor standard , the third was overdone, as tough as leather and inedible.

We complained and the waitress advised us we would not be charged for the worst one.

I was prepared to put this down to experience but when I was checking out I was asked how we had enjoyed our stay. When I responded that it was a nice hotel but that our experience had been marred by the restaurant debacle the receptionist insisted on involving the duty manager. He duly arrived and agreed that mine had not been the only complaint, acknowledged that the kitchen had not been particularly busy but said they "had suffered a bit of a meltdown in the kitchen" and that there was to be an enquiry that day. He undertook to come back to me promptly regarding my complaint.

That in itself has become my main gripe - no communication has since been received. I find that very disappointing and a little worrying as I am booked into the Radisson Blu in Copenhagen next weekend!

Lastly having paid over £100.00 per night for room only accomodation I have to say its a bit of a rip off for the hotel to charge £6.50 on top for guests to use their own car park!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review of the hotel, I have spoken to the restaurant team about your concerns on the evening and also to the duty manager who dealt with your issues, I am sorry that you were never communicated with in regards to your complaint.
I never the less would like to welcome you back to Durham in the future and if you do come again please let me know so I can look after your reservation personally

Reviewed 12 April 2011

We have stayed here twice lately and loved the hotel and pool, which is great for kids as its the same 1.2m depth for the full length......Great hotel, and quick walk into town, but had it all let down by poor food in the restaurant. Three cold meals and one not what we ordered, the waitress deleted these from the bill, but we would have rather have all eatten together.......I would go back, but maybe eat out in town.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2011

Thank you for your review of thehotel and its facilities
I am sorry that our restaurant did not meet your expectations but I glad that the waitress at least removed the items from you bill
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 10 April 2011

We recently stayed for a night away without children. We paid extra for the business class room and it was well worth it, the room itself was fine, just as you would expect (although no biscuits to go with the tea or coffee!). The pool was nice although a bit cold, the changing rooms very clean. With the business class room there is a complimentary bar from 5-6.30 with wine, beer and soft drinks. No nibbles at all though, not even peanut in bowls which i did find unusual compared to other lounges we've been to. You could pay for snacks though which were on the expensive side. The hotel is ideally located, I would however if going on a weekend make sure you book a restaurant as it was very difficult to get one on the night. Beds were good and it was quiet. Toiletries in the room were loverly. Breakfast next morning was nice and all staff we came across were very helpful and pleasant. We will return again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the very positive review of the hotel. I am glad that you found the upgrade good value and enjoyed the use of our excellent facilities. I am sorry that you found the pool a litle cold to your liking but the pool sits comfortably at the top end of the temperature scale in line with enviromental health guidelines.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon