“Comfortable,nice people, noisy ventilation”

Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Cambridgeshire
“Comfortable,nice people, noisy ventilation”
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Booked at short notice through an internet site, and pleased with room - nice big bed and plenty of space, free wifi, which I needed for work. Good breakfast. But - noisy at night, partly through a very loud water cooler, which i eventually switched off, and then because of fan assisted heating and ventilation that left a high level of noise all night. Fan noise at night is a serious problem in hotels now, and one that does not get any attention. Location ok, but a bracing walk into town on a cold night!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2011

My husband and I stayed in a business class room as it was all that was available, and for £149 it was not worth the money. There was a noise in the roof which kept me awake most of the night and when I mentioned it when checking out the receptionist said she would report it to maintenance and that was that! There was only one small bottle of water in the room and no instructions for the Nespresso Coffee machine. Breakfast on Sunday morning was disappointing. We were left to find a table, not offered tea or coffee and no Breakfast special menu. Food from the buffet was lukewarm. This was very different to our last visit to the Radisson and I think next time we are in Durham it will be back to the Premier Inn where £ for £ it offers much better value. Have written to the manager, and have not yet had any acknowlegement of my letter.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
staffordshire
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I regularly stay in hotels for business and booked a executive room at £125.00. On arrival there was a queue to check in and this took a good ten minutes. It was rushed and I was not offered a morning newspaper although included in the package. As I was pushed for time I asked if someone could take my bags to my room whilst I parked my car, answer no not really if we can it will be about 15 minutes, not really good enough for business class. On arrival in my room, I was disappointed as it had no bath and the bathroom was rather small, I actually caught my toe on the bathroom scales which were placed right in front of the bathroom door, not sure why anyone would want to weigh themselves on a business trip. No real luxuries as stated, just the usual toiletries, no hot chocolate and only 2 teabags on the hostess tray. Saucers were chipped and the hairdryer had sellotape on the plug, not ideal. Had room service breakfast, again disappointing luke warm pot of tea and the omelette I ordered was slightly cold. The bathrobe was rather on the small side, so if you are a lady over size 12/14 or a medium sized gentleman forget it. All in all not worth the money, asked on check out if I had enjoyed my stay when I said not really and advised of a few disappointments the receptionist just say oh dear................. would look elsewhere with better value for money.

Room Tip: Avoid the extra payment for business/executive rooms as these are really standard rooms apart from t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Lovely hotel, great position for walking over bridge into the city, we don't travel far to enjoy this as a stress free shop, drink and eat weekend and love it. Rooms are very spacious, you have a fridge so can have a bottle of wine chilled. My preference is modern not traditional so I like it and will be back for visit no.4 (already booked) prices going up, but still worth it.

Room Tip: river view is very nice, don't worry about standard rooms though, they are still good size
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We stayed during the Luminaire festival 2 weeks ago on a Friday night. The room was fairly large and with good quality furnishings, however as the hotel group is Scandinavian, it could be considered minimalist. For a rate of £199.00 for one night I thought it was definitely over rated. After failing to get into a restaurant in town, due to them all being full (Luminaire Fest) we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant, which was a big mistake. The service was slow to say the least, the food was a real disappointment - we ordered a starter each and only one turned up; this was followed by 'T' bone steak - at £25 each, sides EXTRA, I was expecting something out of Texas! What we got could be more described as a 'T' bone 'Slice' - in face my wifes 'T' bone slice didn't even have a 'T' bone in it! Breakfast was another disaster - the buffet was cold and overcooked. I hate cold food, but after the paltry evening meal I was so hungry the next morning that I ate it. Breakfast is one meal I like piping hot and this sadly lost on that count. Even after we found the 'hot' breakfast plates the food was still cold. My wife pointed out to me these plates in a hot cupboard; she told me she had been 'advised' by a curt staff member - that person would have gotten the best part of a tongue lashing had she spoken to me like that!! Take note food and beverage manager!) Our view of the Castle and Cathedral was not exactly straight out of the window and across the river, they were a fair way upriver, so I wouldn't put this down as a selling point. What we did notice when we looked out of the window and across the river was a Premier Inn - which is where we will be staying next time we visit Durham and stay overnight.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Tyneside
Reviewed 3 December 2011

A mediocre glass box suffering from a personality bypass. Something with a bit of architectural chutzpah could have created a bit of visual interest in this visually key part of town. Interior just as bland. I suppose it ticks the right boxes for those who think gyms and swimming pools are more important than character, good design and milieu. Might suite business people. Suite average. Food average. Staff nice and attentive. Part of an established genre. Nothing particularly wrong with it but very memorable and not my kind of place. For something quintessentially Durham try the Royal County (Marriot) or better still Lumley Castle.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights with my sister and her eldest daughter. Paid £178 via booking.com plus an extra £40 for the extra bed for 2 nights. Didn't go for breakfast in the hotel but looked for places in Durham (plenty around).
Lovely big room, at the back of the hotel so not such a nice view. All staff was really nice. Went for a swim which was great as well.
Durham is fantastic. You have to see the Cathedral and if you can try to go on a tour in the Castle. Went to New Castle for a day (which is only 15 minutes or so by train) and had a great day shopping.
All in all a great weekend!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family