“Bit of a shame.”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Cambridge
“Bit of a shame.”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

The hotel is clean and the rooms are fine. I think the hotel has lost sight of the fact that guests like to eat food. The breakfasts appear to come ready cooled!. Trying to get tea or coffee is not as easy as it should be. I love my breakfasts when I stay in hotels, however this was not a pleasant experience.
Regarding the evening meals, for the price of the food charged one should expect top class food.
This is not what you get. I see from previous reviews I am not alone concerning this.
Come on Radisson get some better trained staff and sort out the food problems.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank camtrek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Having read some of the other reviews I have to save that the Blu was excellent value. We paid just over £100 per night for a double room with sofa bed for the 3 of us including breakfast. That's good value.

Hotel is very modern with spacious rooms, open plan reception area, nice choice of breakfast, informal bar area, good selection of gym equipment, excellent pool, free wifi/wired internet and to finish it all other the location is excellent.

Had a great nights sleep and a nice lay in.

Durham itself is a good walking city and we were really surprised at how nice it was. Check out the Cathedral, the shops around the old part, the riverside walk and the great views from the bridges.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Shaun L
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I found my mid-week stay to be extremely quiet, spacious and comfortable room with excellent reception service.
This is a modern hotel finished to a good standard. I never used the pool or gym but they looked good through the window!!
Avoid room service though, my breakfast was stone cold. There seemed to have been no effort to keep any of it warm and it was therefore mainly inedible.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We ( mature couple ) booked one of the executive rooms for two nights with a total cost of £234, expecting a lovely and relaxing weekend. Check in was very efficient and I cannot fault the reception staff. Upon entering our business room I was initially very impressed, but soon noticed the lack of attention to detail...only two tea bags ( we are big tea drinkers ) and ONE bottle of water between two ( this seems the norm as this also occured the following day ), however there was plenty of coffee. The bath robes... although clean... one was WITHOUT a belt...the toiletries were very cheap and we had only one bottle of shower gel for the duration of our stay. No complimentary biscuits.

We ate in the hotel bar the first night, and although expensive was adequate for a pizza. Our BIGGEST gripe occured at 1:30am on the Saturday the morning. We were rudely awakened by screaming, giggling and slightly worse for wear ladies in the adjacent room. The group obviously occupied more than one room as they were running up and down the corridor, banging on each other doors. This went on until I called reception at 2:30am...but it took another 20 minutes for the noise to stop. By now I was wide awake and not very happy that my sleep had been disturbed. Luckily the group checked out the next morning but I was left with a migraine for the rest of the day and was slightly worried about the next evening when we noticed one or two dj's and large parties entering the reception area at 7pm. Luckily we were not disturbed. Breakfast was again, adequate, with plenty of choice, but was slighlty on the cool side. This was our first, and last visit, to a Radisson Hotel and frankly we have had a better experience at Travel Lodges. If you are looking for a great hotel which caters for large parties, then look no further. Very poor experience and definately not worth the money !!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We've stayed here once before and we knew what to expect. Last time we stayed, it was in a standard room for £119 and I saw an offer for business class room, valued at £179, for the same price as a standard.
When we arrived and checked in, staff were courteous and polite. Our room was not ready so we waited in the bar and the receptionist came over to tell us when it was ready.
The room was fine, clean and modern. There were a few stains on the ceiling where water had leaked through from the roof. A big crack in the wall had been filled in and painted over. Pity it was a different shade to the rest of the colour on the wall. This was the only thing I could pick fault with.
As for the cost, I can't see what the difference in price got you. The room was slightly bigger, bathroom was same size. The baths are tiny. So for an extra £60, you get a coffee maker, a slightly larger room, dressing gown and slippers (that didn't fit, you had to try!), a newspaper and free bottled drinks from the bar downstairs between 17.30 and 19.00.
I had a few drinks in the bar on the night time and the service was slow. Not the bar staffs problem. There was only one poor lad serving and there was a party on in one of the function rooms and people were spilling out into the hotel bar. After a while, a girl came over to help and this sorted out the problem.
As for breakfast, I could not fault it. Loads to choose from and with being self service, I opted for a large English. And I mean large! Very nice.
To sum up, nice hotel, nice location, but the down side is the cost. My advice is go with a standard room with breakfast and look out for deals on the net. My brother in law is staying there tonight and he is only paying £69 for a standard!

• Stayed December 2011
Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Booked at short notice through an internet site, and pleased with room - nice big bed and plenty of space, free wifi, which I needed for work. Good breakfast. But - noisy at night, partly through a very loud water cooler, which i eventually switched off, and then because of fan assisted heating and ventilation that left a high level of noise all night. Fan noise at night is a serious problem in hotels now, and one that does not get any attention. Location ok, but a bracing walk into town on a cold night!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2011

My husband and I stayed in a business class room as it was all that was available, and for £149 it was not worth the money. There was a noise in the roof which kept me awake most of the night and when I mentioned it when checking out the receptionist said she would report it to maintenance and that was that! There was only one small bottle of water in the room and no instructions for the Nespresso Coffee machine. Breakfast on Sunday morning was disappointing. We were left to find a table, not offered tea or coffee and no Breakfast special menu. Food from the buffet was lukewarm. This was very different to our last visit to the Radisson and I think next time we are in Durham it will be back to the Premier Inn where £ for £ it offers much better value. Have written to the manager, and have not yet had any acknowlegement of my letter.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family