Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
US$151
US$140
The Honest Lawyer Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$70
US$68
Travelocity
Bannatyne Hotel Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$61
US$54
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Lumley Castle Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$92
Travelocity
Bowburn Hall(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$67
Priceline
Premier Inn Durham City Centre(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$98
  • Bar/Lounge
Premier Inn Durham East Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$87
Travelodge Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$63
Travelodge
Premier Inn Durham North Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$85
2,771 results
All reviewsbusiness classthe riverbusiness roomfree barcar parkcity centrestandard roomacross the bridgemodern hotelgood sizesauna and steam roomjunior suiteleisure facilitiesexcellent hotelbuffet stylepoached eggsbars and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I've visited this hotel a number of times before on business and they always keep me wanting to come back.

I stayed here this time for 2 nights, including breakfast.

If you're positioned on the front of the hotel then you have a great view of the river wear in front of you, and excellent views over towards the castle and cathedral.

The rooms themselves are very spacious and the beds are large and comfortable. My only quibble is with the pillows, which are quite hard and flat for hotel pillows - which tend to be more fluffy - but thats just personal preference.

You get a good range of complimentary bath/shower soaps etc which is great, as its one less thing to pack, and the use of the ex-mini bar fridges to keep any water or drinks you have with you nicely chilled. There is also an in-room safe, ice bucket and machine in the level lobbys - glasses and bottle openers etc. There is plenty of storage space too if you were here for more than day or two.

The staff are efficient and friendly, and check in and out was a breeze.

The breakfast is always worth getting too, as the range is very good and fresh. You can choose from a buffet hot English breakfast, or a range of continental meats, fruits, muffins and breads.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel have the best views. Rooms on the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank HiggerTor
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Stayed there 4-7 jan on a Dbi Prismo work training- excellent bar a beer is £4.50 a pint - you get free use of pool sauna steam room and gym! Staff was excellent in service as one night we had a sit down meal and casino night layed on for us . Highly recommended

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank monkey1Croydon
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I should caveat this review with the warning that we not only got dinner for free but got a massive discount on the B&B route.

My wife won a pizza and wine dinner for two at the restaurant as part of one of the hotel's competitions. When it transpired that I urgently needed to visit the virtually adjoining passport office she called to try and convert the dinner to lunch. Instead they offered us an amazing deal on a night of B&B which we would have been fools to turn down.

We arrived, parked easily and then made our way between the many many highway maintenance types who were staying in the hotel and clogging the entrance up so that they could smoke. No hotel can choose it's clientelle but this place seemed to be above the average builders lodgings.

Reception was one of the smoothest that I have ever encountered. We were made to feel special but without the faux sincerity that some hotels offer. We went upstairs to our room and were very pleased with what we found. The standard rooms at this hotel are of very generous proportions and very well appointed. It was rather obvious how they change from double to twin (the bed splits) but it was well made up to overcome this. The TV was excellent (28" LCD) with a better selection of channels than in most hotels.

I love the fact that the minibar was empty and ready to receive our own items or those of the hotel, but only at our request. A nice touch.

The bath was slightly shorter than standard which was a little odd given that the rest of the room was so large but it was sufficient and the shower was very good and the toiletries well presented.

The dinner in the hotel restaurant was of a reasonable standard. The service was very good. The food was of a good standard. Unfortunately the menu had a few questionable translations on the Italian side and the rocket was too generously supplied on my Wife's pizza. By too generous I mean that they had effectivly opened a bag of rocket from a supermarket and dumped it all on top of the pizza. It was truly epic! However, the taste was good and the pizza that I got was tasty and totally fulfilled the English version of the menu if not the Italian version! The house wines are very acceptable. The white is about £5.40 retail so the restaurant/bar price of £17.00 per bottle is not that suprising.

After a great night's sleep I woke up to a fabulous view of the river and Durham cathedral. I then went to the gym. It was well appointed and equipped. Of particular note, there was actually sufficient ventilation in the gym which many hotels fail to achieve. Please be aware that the gym equipment all worked in mph rather than kmh which nearly caused me to go flying at the outset! The gym rules were a little unusual, men must wear short sleeved shirts and not running vests which I find a little strange in a gym!

Breakfast was very good. This is no Hilton breakfast in terms of quality of ingredients but it is well cooked and there is a truly magnificent spread to choice from including assorted seeds and nuts if you can tear yourself away from the sausages, bacon and pastries! The fruit juice was good quality but I suspect not freshly squeezed. I was pleasantly suprised by the quality of the jug of coffee that was provided. I would love to comment on the hot chocolate that my wife had but she polluted it with so much sugar that it was impotable!

Suffice to say, we had breakfast at 9am and I still had to leave half my dinner ten hours later!

Checkout was flawless. I had read criticism of the parking fees but it cost us nothing and our soft top car was safe overnight, however £6.50 for 24hrs parking in the city centre (what we'd been quoted) seems very reasonable to me. The car park wasn't looking that pretty but it was mid winter and to be honest most of the unsightly waste was around the workmens vans in the form of fag packets and discared butts.

There is free wifi to all rooms although ours failed at about 0130 and reception were very quick to resolve it.

The service throughout our stay was excellent from the staff. I was suprised to find so many British people working in a hotel in the UK and even more pleasantly suprised to see that they offered an excellent level of service. This is clearly a very well managed and run hotel that really aims to offer excellent customer service. If we ever have to return to Durham then this will be our preferred place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front of the hotel, the views over the river are lovely and there is no railway noise at the front.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank mudcow
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Private parking although pricey at £6.50! Nicely decorated, really helpful friendly staff. Lovely room! Clean and spacious (standard room) nice bar although wasn't open very late. Nice breakfast too. Best thing was the spa, really lovely space, great pool, steam room and sauna (shame jacuzzi was out of action though!!) Would stay here again

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Phillipa D
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Lovely hotel in central Durham. Pretty view across the river. Pleasant pool area. Handy car park behind the hotel. Planning to book again soon.

Room Tip: Lovely view from rooms at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends