“Great Location, Rooms and Value”

Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I stayed here on a business trip, was immediately made aware of the importance of the Cathedral by the architects clever use of the building to showcase the town. The rooms are clean and a small problem that i had wit my Wifi ( which is free ) was quickly and effectively resolved.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for the 5 star review of the hotel.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the views of the hotel and that you had a great stay with us.
I hope its not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you again
Neal

Write a ReviewReviews (2,671)

Reviewed 31 July 2012

The location is great, the rooms are modern and clean, the bed was comfortable, the pool/spa/exercise facilities were awesome!

But I was extremely disappointed with the service we received in regards to room assignment:

Room #1: We went up to quickly dump our bags in the room, and head out to dinner. We noticed we were in a handicapped room, although we hadn't requested it, nor had we been informed at reception. The sink was inconveniently small and low as were some of the other bathroom fixtures. But we decided it was no big deal. It wasn't until we arrived back at the hotel around 10:30pm and settled into bed to find our Queen bed was actually 2 twins pushed together, with 2 separate duvets. Not how I wanted to spend my birthday night plus 2 more nights with my partner. So we called to reception and requested another room. The reception said a staff member would come to our room to escort us to a new room. After waiting 20 minutes, we hauled all of our luggage down to reception, received a new room key and went back up the elevator to our new room.

Room #2: The second room felt stuffy, but we turned on the aircon and opened the windows while we started getting ready for bed, again. As my partner was brushing his teeth, we noticed the water would not go down the drain. Looked for obstructions, tried the plunger several times, no luck. Ugh. Called down again. The maintenance staff was gone for the night (it is 11:15pm by this time), "Did you try the plunger?" "Yes." So they said they'd move us to another room, and I requested that someone meet us at our room with a trolley as we were exhausted and didn't want to carry our bags again. "Do you really need a trolley??" "Yes, please."

Room #3: A business suite. Luxurious, clean, comfortable. But what a hassle!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the hotel.
I am sorry that it took us three tries to live up to your expectations.
I hope that after this you had a great stay with us.
I look forward to seeing you again in Durham soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Rooms very clean & we had a nice river view but outside the room what a soulless place, staff were not very friendly, especially in the Leisure complex. Breakfast was a bit hit and miss, waited half an hour for smoked haddock and poached eggs despite enquiring twice, eventually had to get another member of staff on the case, complained to reception who asked our room number then...........nothing!! On our final day I had the worst bacon I have ever had, very poor quality and a boiled egg when cracked was RAW!!! Perhaps Neal would be better employed dealing with issues in person rather than replying in trip advisor.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen R
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

Thank you for your review of the hotel.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us in regards to your breakfast experience.
This is not the breakfast experience that we try to deliver to our guests.
I hope that this does not deter you from using the hotel again.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

This is a really nice hotel in a good location close to the city centre. The staff were very friendly and the room was large and comfortable. I stayed on a room only basis so can't comment on the food (and the restaurant was closed on a Sunday evening).

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel.
I am pleased that you had a great stay with us and I hope its not too long before we see you again in Durham

Reviewed 29 July 2012

the hotel itself is situated on the opposite side of the river to the main town attractions, it is about a 5-7 min walk to get to them , there is a great gym there for those who want to work out if not the resturant is very good and the food is very nice. breakfast is a bit mad as itis self service, but i guess that is the same wherever you go if you get there at the Busy times!,Staff are freindly and helpfull, carparking is good but not many spaces!!,
the rooms are big and clean, the usual tv etc free paper yada yada yada,
we will deffo go there again as it meets our needs,

Room Tip: ask for the river veiw if you can
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel.
I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel and I hope its not too long before we welcome you back to the Radisson Blu Durham

Reviewed 28 July 2012

Had a 2 night stay at this hotel. Had a business room overlooking river with views of catherdral. Lovely room, spotlessly clean fabulous bathroom. Enjoyed the free drinks from 5.30pm - 7pm! Comfortable lounge area. The breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Swimming pool, jacuzi were lovely. The hotel is only a short walk away into the centre of Durham with all its ameneties. Would definately stay here again. Do not hesitate to book this hotel.

Room Tip: River view room, business class were very roomy, lovely views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank samiantrav

Thank you very much for your 5 star review of the hotel.
I am pleased that you selected us for your short break away.
I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast and health club.
I look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 28 July 2012

I always try to make my reviews as balanced as possible and try to present the pros and cons. It is a difficult task with this hotel, however, as there is nothing on the "cons" side of the balance sheet.

The hotel is very modern, the taxi driver thought about three years old, and feels very fresh. The declaration, as you might imagine, is in first rate order and nowhere did I see the usual signs of ageing such as sealant around the bath and so on.

The hotel is only 15 minutes walk from the town but quiet, not seeming to be near any main roads. The bedroom was an excellent size and the bed one of the most comfortable I have slept in. Everything else you would want was there, safe, iron, tea coffee etc.

I went to the health club. The facilities were excellent with lots of gym equipment and machines. Again, it all felt modern and fresh.

The staff were efficient and friendly. I didn't eat in the hotel so I can't rate the restaurant one way or another.

One query rather than a complaint. The small kettle had to be boiled using a power point by the desk.. This was strange as usually in a hotel the kettle has its own power point by the shelf where the kettle is kept with all the milk, sugar coffee and tea. I'd be interested to know what the hotel says about this.

Anyway first rate hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel.
The title of your review made us all proud in the hotel.
Its reviews like this that make all the effort worthwhile!
In answer to your query I dont really know why the tea and coffee was not designed with a power supply just behind but that is the reason why everything is on a tary so it is very easy to lift out.
I look forward to seeing you again soon