“Great view, Great Room, Great Food”

Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Our stay at this hotel was absolutely amazing. The rooms are kept to a high standard. We were in a business class room which looked out onto Durham Catherdal. Services offered were to a very high standard. Staff were friendly and helpful. Will definitely be back and use this as a base to explore from. Only points would be that it was a muggy night and a fan would have been appreciated as the air conditioning was not very powerful, and the breakfast was good but not brilliant.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel.
I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and I look forward to seeing you very soon in Durham again.
Neal

Write a ReviewReviews (2,672)

Reviewed 4 August 2012

A well polished business class hotel that is also perfect for breaks as well. Rooms are comfortable but careful with those doors that slam shut and can keep you up at night.
WiFi available throughout. Nice beds, clean bathroom, average breakfast. I didn't dine here based on the average breakfast.

Room Tip: Request a room with a City View if possible. If you get a room at the back and open the windows you...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of the hotel.
I am pleased that you had a good stay with us and I hope its not too long before we get a chance to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

We traveled with a group of 26 form the US. We found the Radisson Blu to be clean and comforatable with many nice extras. We had several preplanned meals at the hotel and they were the best on the tour. We had a nice selection and the food was good. . Many of us enjoyed visiting at the bar and using the internet available. Only downside was that was that the bar area was crowded and it was sometimes difficult to find room enough chairs. It was within walking ditance for us from the Cathedral and the center of town. We were very pleased with our stay..

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank klhtraveler1955
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the food here at the hotel and the comfortable rooms.
I appreciate that you are a long way away but if you ever come to Durham again we would be delighted to welcome you here at the Radisson.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I stayed here on a business trip, was immediately made aware of the importance of the Cathedral by the architects clever use of the building to showcase the town. The rooms are clean and a small problem that i had wit my Wifi ( which is free ) was quickly and effectively resolved.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for the 5 star review of the hotel.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the views of the hotel and that you had a great stay with us.
I hope its not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you again

Reviewed 31 July 2012

The location is great, the rooms are modern and clean, the bed was comfortable, the pool/spa/exercise facilities were awesome!

But I was extremely disappointed with the service we received in regards to room assignment:

Room #1: We went up to quickly dump our bags in the room, and head out to dinner. We noticed we were in a handicapped room, although we hadn't requested it, nor had we been informed at reception. The sink was inconveniently small and low as were some of the other bathroom fixtures. But we decided it was no big deal. It wasn't until we arrived back at the hotel around 10:30pm and settled into bed to find our Queen bed was actually 2 twins pushed together, with 2 separate duvets. Not how I wanted to spend my birthday night plus 2 more nights with my partner. So we called to reception and requested another room. The reception said a staff member would come to our room to escort us to a new room. After waiting 20 minutes, we hauled all of our luggage down to reception, received a new room key and went back up the elevator to our new room.

Room #2: The second room felt stuffy, but we turned on the aircon and opened the windows while we started getting ready for bed, again. As my partner was brushing his teeth, we noticed the water would not go down the drain. Looked for obstructions, tried the plunger several times, no luck. Ugh. Called down again. The maintenance staff was gone for the night (it is 11:15pm by this time), "Did you try the plunger?" "Yes." So they said they'd move us to another room, and I requested that someone meet us at our room with a trolley as we were exhausted and didn't want to carry our bags again. "Do you really need a trolley??" "Yes, please."

Room #3: A business suite. Luxurious, clean, comfortable. But what a hassle!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the hotel.
I am sorry that it took us three tries to live up to your expectations.
I hope that after this you had a great stay with us.
I look forward to seeing you again in Durham soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Rooms very clean & we had a nice river view but outside the room what a soulless place, staff were not very friendly, especially in the Leisure complex. Breakfast was a bit hit and miss, waited half an hour for smoked haddock and poached eggs despite enquiring twice, eventually had to get another member of staff on the case, complained to reception who asked our room number then...........nothing!! On our final day I had the worst bacon I have ever had, very poor quality and a boiled egg when cracked was RAW!!! Perhaps Neal would be better employed dealing with issues in person rather than replying in trip advisor.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen R

Thank you for your review of the hotel.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us in regards to your breakfast experience.
This is not the breakfast experience that we try to deliver to our guests.
I hope that this does not deter you from using the hotel again.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

This is a really nice hotel in a good location close to the city centre. The staff were very friendly and the room was large and comfortable. I stayed on a room only basis so can't comment on the food (and the restaurant was closed on a Sunday evening).

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel.
I am pleased that you had a great stay with us and I hope its not too long before we see you again in Durham