“Good stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel Durham

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Good stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed here for a few nights in August. This is a modern hotel just a short walk from the city centre and chain restaurants. The staff are very helpful and the breakfast has a great choice. I did not eat or drink at the restaurant/bar mainly because of the closeness of the city centre - but the bar prices seemed quite high, but I suppose that is what you get in hotels.

I would give just two areas for improvement - the control of smoking, and doors banging.
On my first night here I arrived late and went straight to bed, my room was cold as the windows had been left open and the air con was on full. It took a while for the room to heat up. I had a bad nights sleep as my eyes began to sting and I was coughing - it was clear that the previous occupant had been smoking and that housekeeping had opened the windows etc to clear it. In the morning I found an empty cig pack and lots of cig stubs on the flat roof outside the window. I asked for a room change and within 3 minutes someone was there to help me move rooms - very good. However, it was clear to me that this smoking was probably a regular thing as the following day I glanced up at some windows and saw two people smoking at their bedroom windows, this despite a £150 fine - I wonder if the hotel ever enforces this? Secondly the doors, both room and corridor - they do tend to bang shut and if it is a neighbours door, the wall shakes! I think this could be improved.

Nevertheless, a good hotel - very nice and well equipped rooms, a good leisure club with a reasonable size pool. Very helpful and efficient staff. I would certainly stay again when I am in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel.
I hope its not too long before your travels bring you back to the area and that we have the pleasure of hosting you again
Neal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Turkish first
england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

First the positive. Modern immaculate hotel in a great location with fantastic views over the river and cathedral and only 5 minutes walk to the City. Spacious rooms with fridge, aircon, safe and good sized bathroom. Excellent gym and pool.

If I had not chosen to have breakfast in the restaurant the hotel deserves a rating of 4 stars. However, I am still angry at the breakfast service provided which is the worst I have experienced anywhere in the UK. Breakfast at the weekend is served until 12 noon and I appreciated that. I went to the restaurant at around 11.30 at a time when the restaurant was not busy.

On two occasions I was taken to an unmade table and cutlery was brought. I was told to ask for tea or coffee. Why? Am I being unreasonable in expecting to be served in a four star hotel? There were around four members of staff on duty. I was ignored for at least 5 minutes and then had to get up from my seat to ask. When the coffee arrived there was no cup on my table so I had to ask for that and when the cup arrived there was no teaspoon so I had to ask for that as well.

The staff were unfriendly and unhelpful with a couldn't care less attitude. I do not blame them but I do blame the management for recruiting such low calibre, useless people who seemed to be out of place in their surroundings and probably more suited to serving in a low class cafeteria. If you cannot be nice to people, anticipate their needs and have attention to detail then don't work in the hospitality business.

Room Tip: Worth paying for a river view
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank markZoom
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
Obviously I am unhappy that you felt so strongly about the poor service you recieved that you chose to mark us down so low and I can only apologise for the service you were given.
I do not agree with you that our staff are unhelpful and unfriendly and couldnt care less as other reviews here would back this up.
I will leave it up to the Trip Advisor community to look at all reviews here and come up with a balanced opinion
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

I had a fantastic stay at the Radisson. I had the summer offer which included breakfast and a bottle of chilled wine in the room on arrival. The room was excellent with a great view of the cathedral and castle. The room service food was surprisingly of a better quality and value than in the restaurant in the hotel which was disappointing and very expensive. I also made use of the spa facilities which were very quiet.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and made good use of the facilities here.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Durham very soon.
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here a few times, didn't really have any problems, until the last time we stayed, when my husband realised he'd left his wedding ring behind. We didn't really worry, as he knew exactly where he had left it, rang reception, told them which room we had stayed in, the man in reception told me he would send someone up to look for it, put me on hold for TWENTY SECONDS, then reported back that he hadn't found it. 20 seconds isn't long enough for anyone to have even walked inside the room to have a look. I even asked him how they had looked for it in such a short space of time, to be informed, the cleaner was in there at that time. Well that was strange, since the cleaner passed us to clean that room when we left 3 hours earlier. Either she took 3 hours to clean the room (in which case, she should have seen the wedding ring, which was just sitting on the desk) or someone wasn't being completely truthful. I rang back 3 times in total and was met with the same level of concern each time, i.e. can't be bothered. While I understand that someone elses wedding ring isn't of great concern, it is of immense sentimental value to us and I would have thought warranted more than a 20 second twiddle of someones thumbs while 'someone' "looked for it".

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Louise M
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
I am sorry that you feel that we did not take your lost property seriously.
We take these things very seriously indeed but I am sorry but we found nothing when we searched the room.
Fife, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Great location. Great view. Lovely room. Couldn’t fault our booking at all. We found a deal on Durham tourist site which my husband queried to see if it was still available as it beat all other rates by including breakfast with the room rate. It was booked right away for us - an accessible room which we didn’t ask for. Everything worked out fine when I contacted Ben and advised that we would not need these features and as we planned to stay for 3 nights we’d prefer a front facing room with a river view and no accessible features please.
Room: Honoured our request and we had 4 very large ceiling to floor windows looking out over the bridge and along the river to the castle and cathedral. Could easily have sat and gazed at the view all day long! Lovely bathroom and all the usual features including ironing board, iron and a very powerful hairdrier. (there are straighteners in the pool changing rooms if you forget yours!). The bathroom was spotless and the grouting clear and clean - something that irks me if it is not!! Toiletries were refreshed daily as required. . Our room was kept very clean and spruce the whole time we were there. Ok there are some scuffs around the skirting boards but …people….come on! ! In comparison though with a Mariott hotel etc I did expect nicer bedding/pillows - they were a bit less plush and fluffy than one might imagine for this level of hotel but did have a comfortable night once we turned the air conditioning off as it was a bit droning.
Work out if you think the £40 upgrade will work out worthwhile for you. It includes parking, and drinks early evening as well as newspaper, dressing gown, slippers etc. For us, it would not have been worth it and our room was lovely anyway.
Some rooms look out the back to the car park and where the railway runs. We looked out the front road and over the river and were never aware of any outside noise (apart from those slamming doors see below!)
Pool: The pool was lovely and tried out the steam room (lovely twinkly lights on the ceiling and a mood light), sauna and Jacuzzi. Relaxing beds were a nice touch - I spent some time just relaxing there which was nice. Gym looked very well equipped but I felt I got enough exercise with all the hill/stair/river walking! I was tempted by some of the treatments (Elemis) but didn’t really make time for this.
Eating: Breakfast had anything you could ask for really (be aware that you simply ask the server for something that might not be out on the hot plates eg poached eggs or kippers etc). Ok service wasn’t the fastest for this but as we were on a relaxing break it did not bother us at all. You can make your own tea in a pot(if you can find one - they had run out on our first day so it wasn’t exactly clear what to do). You ask for coffee. This seemed to confuse many visitors who are probably used to a server asking if they would like tea or coffee? Did not eat or drink at the hotel in the evening but the prices seemed to be what you would expect of a hotel. Across the bridge there is ample choice of drinking places with deals (Lloyds, Slug n Lettuce etc), some usual high street eateries like Nandos, Chiquittos, etc and some nice local bars in lunch eateries in town. If you turn right at the hotel entrance and follow the river you will find a really good Thai buffet restaurant as well which had excellent deals. We ate an evening buffet for £11.95 I think and the drinks were normal prices. We found it easy to find a place to have coffee, snacks, and evening meal while we were there. Friday night was a lot more lively than I imagined Durham might be! I have no idea what it might be like in term time - even busier in the pubs I would think!
This is our second time in Durham and we love the old part of the town and the river walks. Might not be so easy for someone who is less fit or mobile but buses seems to run right up to the cathedral and castle.
We happened to see a wedding arrival while we were at the hotel which was lovely. The only thing that the hotel might like to address in any make over is the slamming doors! OMG it was so annoying late at night, through the night and early morning to hear the heavy doors SLAM shut. Slow closers surely would stop this? Staff deserve praise as they were all professional and erred the correct side of politeness and approachability.
Summary: A nice class of modern hotel for the money in an excellent location.

Room Tip: If its your first time in Durham you might like to ask for a front facing room with views of the riv...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacmor63
Thank you for the very extensive review of the hotel here on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted that you had a good time with us and I hope its not too long before your travels bring you back to the area.
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

Stayed 4 days and 3 nights. Great location. Rooms were excellent, with good veiws. Staff were very good and very helpful. Would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Durham.
Excellent Thai restaurant nearby called Thai Central. Would recommend this place to anyone who likes Thai food..
Visited Beamish museum whilst there. Gteat day out.

Room Tip: Rooms with a veiw of the river.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the 5 star review of the hotel.
I am delighted that you had a great 4 days with us and it seems you were busy out and about!
I am glad that you found the staff helpful and friendly and I look forward to seeing you when your travels bring you back to the area once more.
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed in this hotel in a twin room overnight. We came to Durham to explore the city, and also to watch the student performance of Miss Saigon at the Gala Theatre & Cinema. The hotel was within easy reach of the train station and easy to find. We arrived before check-in but Samantha was fantastic, taking our bags and offering to contact us a mobile number as soon as our room became available. Our room was ready before 12 midday, despite normal check in being 14:00. The room itself (346) was large, had beautiful views of the river and cities cathedral and castle. The room and espeically the bathroom was absolutely spottless, huge credit to the Housekeeping team!! The air conditioning in the room was also excellent. The hotel is very central and within easy reach of the city centre, but tucked into a little corner meaning an excellent nights sleep is guaranteed with hardly any traffic. The pool, although small was again spottless and excellent. Breakfast was very good, but unfortuantely I was not very hungry so din't get to experience this entirely. Overall a fantastic stay, would definitely recommend to couples after a few quiet relaxing days away.

Room Tip: We requested a high floor and this was met and didn't here a thing. Looking at the position of t...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your 5 star review of the hotel.
I hope its not too long before we see you in Durham again!