“Great hotel would definitely return.”

Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Came here as a birthday present for my partner, as soon as we arrived we felt welcomed and the place had a real glow about it. We stayed in the business class room and had a great view of the river and the room was very spacious and comfy. It's a two minute walk into town and Durham is really great city. The spa and swimming pool were great and the staff there were really friendly also. Would love to return in the future, best hotel we've been to in the north east so far.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel Durham

Reviewed 30 September 2012

I have not stayed overnight in this hotel, however I frequently visit the spa and gym. The gym equipment is very hi-tech and updated, and easy to work. The spa is luxurious and has a relaxed and peaceful atmosphere in it. The modern look to the spa makes it all the more tranquil and it is very relaxing. Money-wise, it is nothing, I really would have expected it to cost so much more to use the facilities.
The restaurant in the hotel serves nice, well cooked food, however it can be quite pricey in comparison to other places to eat in Durham. For people staying in the hotel, it is in a perfect place, located directly on the river front just set back from the main town.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
I am pleased that you had a good time with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Regards
Neal

Reviewed 29 September 2012

28th sept we stayed here in business class, which is totally worth it as you get free drinks between 5.30 and 7pm, free parking and an amazing buffet breakfast. rooms are lovely and clean, beds very comfortable, huge feather pillows. staff very friendly and helpful. would not hesitate to book again. :)

Room Tip: upgrade to business class and request a river view.
1  Thank rhiannongwillym
Reviewed 27 September 2012

me and my partner stayed here a month ago we cant not fault this hotel we booked last minute the staff where friendly the bar downstairs lovely and also the bar food is really nice ,,the rooms where great very modern we ordered food service and it arrived very quick what i was surprised at was how much breakfast choice there was stunning out of ten i would give it a nine we will be returning when i write a review i write it based on how the hotel came across and if it made me feel at home and i enjoyed it here very much.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

we got married here in september 2012,and was so impressed by the staff and organisation of the whole hotel.

the food was fantastric, all the guests commented on it, and still are!!!
our room overlooked the river and we could see the cathedral which was beautiful.
breakfast was unbelievable, buffet but you could order of a menu aswel which was delicious.

Room Tip: ask for river view, not guaranteed, but worth a try
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I stayed here on the 16th of September 2012 with my fiancée for her birthday. We choose the hotel due to it having access to spa treatments so my fiancée could be pampered. We have visited Durham in the past on day trips but never stayed over. We found the receptionist lacking in customer service it was if she was following a script in the way she dealt with us, as we left we both commented on how a smile wasn't a hard thing to do. We both hoped all the staff wasn't like her. The room was room 407 Business class clean tidy with all the mod cons needed. While we were settling in a knock came to the door I answered and on the other side was a lovely girl with a smile from ear to ear offering us a complimentary platter of strawberries, cake and honey. I was confused and said we didn't order anything which she responded with a gleeful 'enjoy your stay sir'. We found this tiny offering very thoughtful. Around 3pm my partner undertook her treatment and I headed for a treatment of my own at the bar and a date with a beer and a steak, every mans idea of relaxation. While at the bar I was alone, the bar man Simon approached me and started conversation making me feel welcome informing me of the business bar times which I was entitled too. Simon also answered my many questions on going into Durham later that night. His answers to my questions were very honest and truthful which I admired. After my steak I headed for the pool area which was modern and clean a great way to spend a few hours relaxing. After this I waited while my partner finished her treatment. She found the spa to be delightful and was thoroughly impressed. Close to 6 we went to the bar for our complimentary drinks. As we approached the bar Simon seen us approaching and with a smile greeted us and introduced himself to my partner. His friendly attitude continued were we left off earlier in the day the next hour and a half was filled with laughter. We departed for our meal at the Fat Buddha which was enjoyable. After we returned to the bar in the Raddison on approaching the bar Simon took out two bottle of our drinks ready for us, I have worked in bars for ten years and the simple action of knowing a persons drink as they arrive at the bar is a sign of a great barman. The next morning we had breakfast this was my fiancées idea of heaven everything you could wish for was on offer.

Over all I enjoyed my stay the room was immaculate, the spa area was enjoyable, the breakfast was top notch but the lasting impression we have is the excellent customer service we received from staff apart from that receptionist.

Well shall be back.

Peter

Room Tip: Go for business class it is worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank petesmit
Reviewed 25 September 2012

booked a last minute offer advertised in the Metro , which included our rail fare from London. Spent three nights there. Was in Room 124 , lovely view over the river , it was great watching the fisherman every morning and night, could also see the castle and the catherdal. Room spacious and very very clean, bed big and comfortable and the mini fridge was great . All the staff were very friendly and very helpful. The buffet breakfast was delicious and there was EVERY thing you could possibly want ! the saute potatoes and the little muffins were very tasty. The only small negative is that we thought the breakfast room could have done with at least two more staff as it was very busy and they were having trouble clearing the tables so that other guests could sit down. The hotel is in a great location if like us you do not have a car , you can walk every where from it. The pool area again was great and very clean. We also both had a hopi ear treatment - fantastic. We were sad to leave. Would we stay again - YES

Room Tip: get a room overlooking the river ,
1  Thank londonmcr