“Contemporary & Comfortable Base for Enjoying Durham”

Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Excellently placed by the river. Spacious reception and hearty breakfasts with a fine selection of fruits, pastries, and traditional breakfast fayre.

River facing rooms provide a terrific view out across the city and the business rooms and suites provide that extra bit of comfort one deserves.

All the staff were really helpful and friendly. Jan 2014 is our most recent stay here and the Radisson provides a fine contemporary contrast to the more traditional accommodation provided by the nearby Marriott which we have also used when on weekend breaks in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with lots of glass windows in summer. Can be very stuffy, even with the air con on.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thanks for the review
See you soon

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We had a perfect stay at the Radisson Blu in Durham for my wife birthday. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food was excellent both from bar and restaurant also the breakfast too. The pool and spa where very clean and tidy and the price we paid were excellent too.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for your review of the hotel and I am pleased that you had a great stay with us.
See you soon

Reviewed 26 January 2014

This was a second visit to this hotel and it reinforced my opinion that it is a very good hotel, but we did find a couple of negative points that could definitely be improved.
First of all this is an excellent location by the river in the centre of Durham, with everything within easy walking distance. There is a big car park, but irritatingly you are charged for parking even if you are staying at the hotel. You can avoid the charge by upgrading to a more expensive room, but I think it is a bit bit penny-pinching to charge the guests in standard rooms.
Reception was efficient and friendly, as it was last time I stayed, and couldn't be faulted. The room was very spacious, clean and well equipped, but we both found the bed, and particularly the pillows, to be very firm, resulting a less than perfect sleep. Also the room seemed to get warmer and warmer through the night and I had to get up to turn down the air conditioning temperature.
We ate in Fellini's restaurant and had mixed feelings about it. Some of the service seemed a bit amateur, like being quizzed if we wanted olives, almonds and drinks before we had even sat down. My meal was a triumph of taste over presentation, which is slightly unusual these days. My fish was very good, if a little small, but it arrived hidden under a pile of rocket, which looked like it had just been thrown on top of it. A bit more effort to make it look appetising would be appreciated! My wife's pan fried cod was more disappointing, having the appearance of baked cod, or possibly pan fried cod that had then been kept warm in an oven or under a heater. This was not a bad meal, but the food here is not cheap and next time we stay, we will certainly consider eating elsewhere. One final point on the restaurant, which was echoed at breakfast, was the tendency of the staff to want to clear away your plates before you have finished eating! Less enthusiasm please!
The breakfast is very good, with plenty of choice and everything of a good quality. Just one point here: 'specials' are cooked to order and I asked for poached eggs on toast, to be told that they would only cook the eggs and I would have to make my own toast. That gave me a choice of waiting for the eggs to arrive, then queuing to make toast, resulting in cold eggs. Or I could make the toast and wait for the eggs to arrive, resulting in cold toast. Both options are rather unsatisfactory.
Having said all of that, I must emphasise that this is a very good hotel which we will happily use again, particularly if the points mentioned could be sorted out.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I hope to see you back at the hotel again soon

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We had a lovely stay in this hotel. Service was excellent. It is a shame that breakfast is charged at an additional £15 so we went elsewhere for breakfast! The only disappointments were that the bathroom had what sounded like a fan noise which was quite loud in the night and the curtains in the room had some unpleasant looking stains on.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on here.
I am delighted that you had a good stay with us and I look forwards to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 25 January 2014

This was my 4th stay in this hotel. Whenever in Durham this is generally where my husband and I stay as it is good value for money and a comfortable clean hotel. The rooms are nice, nothing special but clean fair size rooms. We got a double room on a sat night for £59.00 via Late Rooms (excl breakfast). The swimming pool is really nice and we have always been given a room with a view of the cathedral and the river. The hotel bar is nice enough but it is in the lobby near the main entrance door so feels cold. The staff are friendly. The only negative is the £7.00 parking charge. I don't know any other 4star hotels that charge for parking. As the hotel/rooms/bar is fairly basic I'm only giving it 3stars. Not for romance but great for a quick getaway with friends/family.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel.
Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed on a Friday night with my fiancee as we had a meeting in Durham. The hotel reception was open and modern, the room was spacious and overlooked the river and included coffee and tea making facilities. We ate out on the evening but had a drink (cocktail) in the hotel bar which was better than we had in the local champagne bar. The breakfast buffet was great, I had one of the specials, poached eggs which arrived quickly and were cooked to perfection. My complaints were paying for the car park in addition to paying for the room and the coffee at breakfast was stewed.

Room Tip: 146 over looks the river
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a weekend in Durham with my sister, visiting my nephew at university.
It was very wet and windy so we found ourselves spending more time in the hotel than usual.
The rooms are spacious and clean, as is the bathroom. The furnishings are comfortable and of high quality. The towels and toiletries are good quality too.
This time we did not have breakfast at the hotel, deciding to eat out for a change, but we did have dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday evening.
The meal was good, reasonably priced and served by friendly staff.
We were intrigued to be told by a staff member that she would have to check for availability (we had not booked) when the restaurant was only a third-half full! And paying by card is interesting, as the restaurant has no credit card machine (it is all done on the till).
Checking out the next day was efficient, if not overly friendly.
When we asked to check availability for the first week in July, we were told there were just a couple of rooms left at £189 per night.
We appreciate we were staying in January for £85, but putting up the price by £100 for the summer seems more than a bit cheeky.
I really like this hotel, so hope we can come back again, but will think twice before visiting in the summer at those prices!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for your review of the hotel and welcome back.
I am pleased that you had a nice time at the hotel and I am only sorry that the weather was not so good during your stay.
Hope to see you again soon