Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
  • Free Internet
Excellent 5/5
    Average 3/5
      2,769 results
      All reviewsbusiness classthe riverbusiness roomfree barcar parkcity centrestandard roomacross the bridgemodern hotelgood sizesauna and steam roomjunior suiteleisure facilitiesexcellent hotelbuffet stylepoached eggsbars and restaurants
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was the first time staying in this hotel and I was disappointed despite its excellent position by the river and within walking distance of this lovely city. The hotel was full as there was a function on the Saturday evening but arriving in early afternoon there were no parking spaces and cars were parked on the roadside. The rooms are good and have all facilities you expect. Dinner was ok but the breakfast was uninspiring and a bit tasteless. I have stayed in Radisson hotels before but this one was disappointing.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
      1  Thank Bob B
      NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for the review of the hotel.
      I am sorry that you found the hotel dissapointing and I can only hope that you next time you stay we exceed your expectations!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel has great facilities and wonderful staff, minor issues surrounding the additional charges for car parking but not enough to stop me going again.The staff where amazing as was the spa facilities

Room Tip: Great place to stay a must if you are doing the sites in Durham
      • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel and I am delighted that you found the stafff amazing.
      I hope that next time we can turn those 4 stars into 5.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Booked an executive double for 1 night and while I was happy with many of the add ons that you don't get with standard rooms, some of the basic requirements were sadly lacking.

The Espresso machine in the room was a pleasant surprise but the thick layer of dust that surrounded it certainly wasn't. The scuff marks all over the skirting board are easily removable with Miraclean sponges (other brands are available) and a little elbow grease. The advertised mini bar was empty but would still have provided a suitable cooling agent for our bottle of Moscatel had it actually worked. The ice machines on the first and second floors (we didn't check other floors) were also out of order although ice was available via the 'one touch' service.

The Spa was lovely and the swimming pool a good size but being first ones into the sauna at 8.00am on the Sunday morning allowed to see the poor standard of cleaning with dirt and smears all over the door.

A room with a river view would have been nice but at least our car park view allowed us to view the feeding antics of the local, perhaps even resident, hens and rooster.

The 90 minute free bar on Saturday night was exactly as advertised with bottled beer (only lager), wines and soft drinks. Don't expect to be able to order your favourite Chablis or Merlot though, it's red, white or rose. Despite staff not being too busy, not a single glass or bottle was removed from any of the tables until the service ended resulting in new arrivals to the bar being unsure whether or not tables had been vacated.

Generally though, the staff were a real positive. Reception, Spa and Dining Room staff were all friendly and helpful. Our gripes on departure were noted and apologies issued.

The breakfast was exceptional with a vast array of options and pretty much everything except haggis. There were also some cooked to order items and I can highly recommend the haddock and poached eggs and waffle with syrup.

The dinner menu was Italian but as a bit of a foodie, I wasn't impressed so ate elsewhere.

The room was huge and included bath robes, slippers, newspaper, wine and water glasses, magnified shaving mirror, bath sheets, not just towels, unlimited free wi-fi, bath and shower and safe but sadly no biscuits on the tea tray, only one bottle of water between two and two comfortable but single beds pushed together instead of the advertised double.

A good night's sleep was had with little noise apart from the aforementioned rooster at 4.00am but it didn't keep me awake.

Overall the visit was very enjoyable but it wasn't great value for money. I could be tempted back but I would definitely shop around first. Definitely more attention to detail is needed.

Room Tip: Choose a river view and check that it has a double bed if you booked a double room.
      • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the review of the hotel.
      I hope that you choose to stay again in the future and that we do something about turning those 3 stars into 5.
      Hope to see you soon

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit and was again an excellent visit . Staff on the front desk were very good and rooms were very clean and modern . Pity my package did not include breakfast and having to pay for parking .we made full use of the hotels spa facilities which were excellent and made our stay so much better. Don't think I would want to stay anywhere else in Durham

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for the review and I hope its not too long before we welcome you back to the hotel

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This was our third stay at the Radisson, albeit only for the one night on this occasion. We booked on a bed + breakfast basis and managed to secure a really good deal at a discounted price. I expected to be allocated a room facing the rear of the hotel, facing the car park as it was a discount booking but I was pleasantly surprised to find that our room was on the front of the hotel, with a view of the river almost directly facing the bridge.
      As there was a hen party also staying that evening + a dance function taking place, we expected some disturbance in the early hours.... how wrong we were! A blissful sleep after sampling the local hostelries. Breakfast was up to its usual standard, with a huge range to choose from + ever attentive staff replenishing items if they ran low.
      Already looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel.
      I am so pleased that we managed not to dissapoint and I look forwards to welcoming you back again soon