“Incredibly disappointing”

Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Attended a charity ball and the service at the bar all evening was atrocious - not enough staff. Food was good but service to clear tables after dessert was again atrocious - half eaten desserts and empty plates and coffee cups and saucers were just left on tables for the rest of the evening - awful - especially in comparison to other hotels and restaurants who clear away after each course. We certainly won't be going back.

• Stayed: May 2014
Louise T, Front Office Service Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the service you received at the charity ball. Please be assured that all of your comments have been passed on to the food and beverage team so that corrective action can be taken. If you would like to follow up on any of the issues in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact me direct at louise.turnbull@radissonblu.com
Louise

Write a ReviewReviews (2,672)

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Spent a family weekend here. Location is two minutes from the centre of town, on the river. The hotel is new, built to a high standard, the rooms are very good. Overall, we had a pleasant stay except for the fact that we had to wait too long for several things because the hotel seemed quite understaffed. Especially breakfast was a bit chaotic,not enough staff to deal with the guests and tables. Apparently, the hotel has a "Breakfast Superbuffet", it was a regular buffet, not super, nothing special.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review of the hotel
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay overall and hope that we can welcome you back soon so we can exceed your expectations!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We visit Durham regularly and decided that we would try the Radisson as it was supposed to have a decent restaurant and good spa. The food was pretty dreadful. Dinner was a mixture of over-seasoned or under-seasoned, dried up or heavy produce. Breakfast was virtually inedible. The service at breakfast was poor and unfriendly. They were more interested in getting ready for lunch and looking after non-existent guests than the ones who were there. (It was only 9.15). Most of the buffet was empty. The reception staff were very friendly though and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
1  Thank CATCOOL
Louise T, Front Office Service Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback
I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the food, but please be assured that all of your comments have been passed over to our food and beverage teams so that corrective action can be taken and we can exceed your expectations upon your next visit!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Firstly this hotel has a lot going for it, especially if you get a room at the front overlooking the river and Cathedral. There are elements in this hotel that are worthy of praise and some that are not. My wife and I arrived for a two night stay, my wife on business and I as her chauffeur. So it was a mix of business and pleasure. First bad point, the car park. I was charged £14 for a two night stay. There was one disabled bay available so I used that, the rest of the car park was full nearly all the time with guests apparently parking on grass verges or anywhere they can. There are 7 disabled bays, one of which was permanently blocked off for some reason, of the remaining six bays 3 of them had cars in with no disabled badge or disabled persons tax disc, two of which cars I later found out were members of staff at the hotel. The reception staff will tell you it's a public car park, I find that hard to believe as it is under management of a company based in London. I believe that Radisson just want their car park full of paying visitors, guests and locals as much as possible. I did pop out to visit local historical sites and on return was unable to park as all the disabled bays were full and only one car had a badge. The rest of the car park was full so I ended up parked in a corner. A complaint to reception brought little more than a shrug of the shoulders. The bottom line is that when I checked out I was told I shouldn't have been charged to park and my money was refunded. Next the restaurant, like the curate's egg, good in parts, breakfast was poor, with many guests unable to get in and waiting in a queue at the door, we had watery scrambled egg, overcooked bacon, etc etc. I Had two fairly good main meals in the evenings, My wife had one as her meal on the first night was not nice, she ate it, is the best we can offer and £24 for a rib eye steak with a bit of salad is OTT. Some people we know were VERY disappointed with their meal as well (undercooked pizza), to the extent that they were offered a free desert. This is hearsay and perhaps I shouldn't refer to it but it does underline that something is wrong. The décor and bar were modern, clean and everything you should expect. Anyone thinking this revue is excessively unkind should know that before I retired I travelled the world as a lecturer and have stayed in 5 star hotels from Adelaide to Zurich. This hotel needs some attention.

Room Tip: It is worth a stay here, rooms at the front have a lovely view of the river and town. If like me you...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ronpSouthWales

Thank you for your detailed review of the hotel.
I apologise that you had some issues on your recent stay with us regarding the car park and Filini restaurant. It is true that the car park attached to the hotel is operated by Parking Eye and can be used by the public as a pay and display car park, however we are able to cap the rates for guests at the hotel as long as you register and pay at reception. I also apologise for your disappointment with the Filini restaurant. Please be aware that all of your feedback has been passed on to the Food and Beverage team so corrective action can be taken and we can hopefully exceed your expectations next time.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I travelled with a group of 20 on an Art in the North East trip which was most enjoyable. We saw Sunderland Museum,Shipley Art Gallery,Angel of the North, Durham Cathedral, Baltic Centre, Bowes Museum & St Andrews church in Roker. Our base was the Radisson Blu in Durham from where we reached all the above in a coach with ease. The hotel seemed full during our stay (May 2nd - May 6th) but the staff coped well, always friendly and helpful. Our group had the standard buffet breakfast which was very good & a special 3 course dinner each evening. One or two courses were not great but overall the standard was good to high. I certainly did not go hungry. The room was spacious, lovely bathroom toiletries, plenty of towels. My only negatives had nothing to do with the hotel but a) the noisey guests shouting & banging doors in the middle of the night on Fri/Sat/Sun, however, this kind of behaviour can happen anywhere.b)My room overlooked the car park where, for some bizarre reason, lived a rooster & some chickens. If you want to avoid being woken up by a 'cock a doodle doo' every half hour throughout the night then request a room overlooking the river.

Room Tip: Try for a river room view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Louise T, Front Office Service Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and had a great time on your art trip!
I hope you will come and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

stayed here over the bank holiday - reception staff all very friendly and helpful. room was a good size with all the extras that make a stay easier: hairdryer, iron and board, free wifi etc.

the hotel is literally a stones throw from city centre. across the bridge there is a popular area of bars and restaurants.

if you want to go to the spa ring ahead for appointment - we couldn't get in as fully booked.

there is a restaurant on site but on Friday night atmosphere was spolit by a coach party having quizzes and a beetle drive!! very odd!!!

Room Tip: ask for river view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CatherineF2012

Thank you for your excellent review of the hotel
I'm glad you enjoyed your bank holiday weekend with us and I hope we can welcome you back when your travels next bring you to Durham

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Extreamly comfortable close to city centre and all amenities including Heratage castle and cathedral Shops and resaurants readily available. Good cente for touring the North East with its many Historic and facinating centres to visit

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Thank you for your excellent 5* review of the hotel
I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and all Durham has to offer!
I hope we can welcome you back soon

Kind Regards