“Sisters hen do in Durham” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel Durham

Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
“Sisters hen do in Durham”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Booked this hotel for my sisters hen do. It's quite impressive and has a lovely feel to it. The reception staff were lovely, she let us quickly check in and leave our bags at reception as we had a coach full of ladies waiting outside. She made sure the luggage was in our rooms when we got in later that night. The rooms were spacious and clean, nice modern bathroom. We also got a lovely view of the river & Cathedral. The breakfast was fine and there was plenty to choose from, you could also order off the specials board if there was something in particular you wanted. We chose this hotel for its leisure facilities and liked the fact that you could use them after checking out of the hotel. The area was good but not excellent, at present the ladies showers are out of use. There isn't enough lounge beds around the pool and the Jacuzzi is the smallest ive seen. However, the sauna and steam room were fine you cant really go wrong. A suggestion would be to maybe play some soothing music inside. Overall we enjoyed our stay here and is in a great location close to town.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Louise T, Front Office Service Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your excellent review of the hotel
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope your sister had a fantastic hen do!
Louise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Great for a weekend.We were very happy with the quality of this hotel and previous reviews about it not being clean and noisy certainly wasn't our experience and our room was very good.Tip - ask for a 'river view' - we did and were not disappointed with the view over the river with Durham Cathedral in the distance.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon!
Northallerton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

A friend and I came to Durham to go to see a show at the gala theatre the hotel was in a good location for this and in walking distance of bars and restaurants.
The room was fine comfy beds and lovely views.
The biggest disappointment however was the spa facilities we couldn't get booked in for any treatments and in the afternoon we went to the pool sauna area which was being refurbished, a lack of signs meant we had to ask people how to get into the pool then there were very few loungers for seating and upon jumping in the pool it was freezing and not comfortable to swim in , the sauna and steam rooms were however fine. Then upon getting out there were no shower facilities or changing facilities so had to get dressed in the loo.
On the whole stay was fine and breakfast was good just really disappointed in spa , expensive stay should have been better for the price .

• Stayed June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of the hotel
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope will come and visit again shortly. Our changing facilities in the PACE Leisure Centre are currently under refurbishment as we are in the process of installing new showers to enhance guest's leisure experience, and I sincerely apologise if the maintenance work inconvenienced you in any way. Hopefully you will be able to come back and visit us again soon and experience the finished product!
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a great hotel, absolute luxury. If you have the money stay here. Located in a great river front location. Bars shops and restraunts are only a short walk away. Food in the hotel is very overpriced but you can expect that from such a well know hotel. The downside is paying for parking, I feel that if you stay in a hotel they should accommodate you with parking for free. All in all a good trip, would return on a deal basis.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlandStace
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon!
Blackpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I know it is easy to moan and you can do a thousand things right and no one notices, you do one thing wrong and everyone notices. Well a number of things were wrong with this hotel and this is the first time I have complained pen to paper so to speak.

First night I could not stop itching in bed so I thought an allergic reaction to soap powder so the next morning I removed the sheets and a thin topper covers the mattress, this was in a very worn poor condition I did take a photo which I still have, bed bugs? I hope not. I told reception who were very pleasant and I went back to the room 2 hours later to find that the mattress had been changed and all the sheets nice I thought till I inspected the thin topper which had been changed but was worse than the one I complained about this had pubic hair in more than one place I got hold of house keeping and showed her. I asked if she thought it was acceptable and would she like to sleep on it. I left her trying to get hold on management. I was back in the evening and a new thin topper was in place. I had no itching problem during the rest of my few nights stay so if you are staying check it out.

The noise was unacceptable. I was on the 3rd floor and some distance from the ground floor exit doors my view overlooked the river which was nice. However all the smokers congregate outside the doors and so do the drinkers who want to smoke. Friday night noise subsided at 12.30. Saturday 2am ish and Sunday night 2.30am No one seems to care.

Saturday afternoon 3.30pm decided to go for a swim. NO sorry mate the pool is full. Yep you could not make it up full of locals sod the guests?

The foyer bar area has zero atmosphere and I took another photo of the grubby tables that had been wiped with a dirty cloth.

I would love the job as the Hotel inspector for this chain. I have visited hotels 2 star to five star Brisbane to California to most of Europe and the management needs a serious talking to as to what is acceptable. I am a fussy person but this is a 4 star Hotel that I expect to have 4 star standards. I give it 2 Stars. No apologies Radisson Blu Durham, get your act together. On a positive note the staff are pleasant and work hard but need hygiene and standards training from switched on management.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank theairbase
I'm sorry you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay with us.
I was disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the standard of linen used and that the soap powder made you itchy. I would also like to apologise for the noise from the street below that disturbed you during the night. Please be assured that all of your feedback has been taken on board and I hope that on any future visits to the hotel we are able to meet or exceed your expectations.
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Had a nice weekend here. Rooms nice, gym good, pool good. Wi-fi signal was weak and kept dropping. Gym changing rooms were closed for refurbishment on Sunday. Nowhere to sit in the sun and have a drink. But minor quibbles - we had a lovely weekend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Thank you for your excellent review of the hotel
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Durham is a compact and beautiful little city. We had a very enjoyable stay at the Radisson. It is in a great location, with fantastic views of the Cathedral and castle. Enjoyed the pool and staff very helpful. Recommended for a city break.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon!