“Mostly excellent, but restaurant needs work”

Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Overall, a very nice modern hotel with clean rooms and an excellent fitness centre with pool. The staff are very polite, but those in the restaurant need additional training as they tend to forget things that matter in providing a good service.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels
Louise T, Front Office Service Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you for your review.
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay over-all and hope we can welcome you back soon
Louise

Write a ReviewReviews (2,691)

Reviewed 21 June 2014

On check in such pleasant staff! Nice large room overlooking the river.Clean well lit bathroom.
The Hotel was very busy and breakfast was a bit chaotic but they supplied a fab range of dishes and loads of variety in fact it was probably one of the best breakfasts we have ever had and we have done a lot of travelling. \the situation was fine and the centre walkable over the bridge. If you use the Hotel just for B & B there are lots of eateries across the the bridge along with bars pubs etc. We were here for a reunion/celebration so didn't use the Hotels bar/restaurant or pool.
We would definitely stay again because of its situation.It was also a good price via Booking .com

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Louise T, Front Office Service Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for your excellent review of the hotel
I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you had a great reunion. Hopefully we can welcome you back shortly!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Brough my mam here for her birthday, booked online through Late Rooms. Reception check in staff friendly although had not put the flowers and balloons that I had bought in the room as I had requested when I checked with Reception the week before and again the morning of the stay. Meaning I then had to go back down to Reception to get them which kind of defeated the point of surprise. We did received a complimentary bottle of white wine which was very nice and also a desert tray in the room which was very much appreciated.
The room was fairly clean and spacious but the river view was the winning feature of the room. Beautiful bathroom also with nice fluffy towels which helps. Note the air con in our room did not work.
The hotel is very expensive, I would say over priced i.e room service, bar drinks (£11 for a small glass of wine and a glass of coke) and also the meals in the restaurant - much cheaper to eat over in Walkergate Durham. We paid £9 for a room service cheeseboard which was about 4 pieces of cheese and £4.50 for the tray service I think!!
The breakfast was the biggest disappointment as it was what we were most looking forward too (a nice full english made for us!!). The greeting was dull, we weren't shown to a table so we found our own, there was no table cloth, no serviettes or cutlery laid out, no cups/saucers no milk and no tea. We had to ask for all of the above apparantly the tea/coffee was help yourself which is fine but please don't make us ask for cups, saucers and milk! The breakfast (self serve) was bland and warm, meats and cheeses were left out not covered up along with fruit and there were also lots of flies around. The glasses provided for the juice were cloudy and grubby. The floor was disgusting especially under our table (dirty and covered in crumbs) and the tables were stained and streaked. Also the tea pot was filthy. Couldn't wait to get back to our room basically.
We also had to complain which I felt wasn't taken seriously. A gentleman approached us in the bar on our first day, friendly enough making conversation, offered to buy us a drink, introduced himself as Charlie which we replied with our first names; as you would. He later saw me carrying the flowers and balloons and asked was it my birthday to which I replied it was my mams. We later saw him twice that evening in Durham and again the second day when he told us he had left something in our room!!! Horrified we hurried back to find a card on the bed addressed as 'Madam *****' (our surname). We asked the receptionist 1) how did he know our surname and 2) how did he know our room number! The receptionist assured us personal information would not have been given out but somebody obviously gave him something! Told she would look into it but have not heard anything back. Quite disappointing really as felt like nobody took us or our complaint seriously.. this man could have been anyone!
Overall it was an average stay going into Durham and being able to walk there in 5 minutes was the best part. Parking was also £7 per night!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah H

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.
I sincerely apologise that you were unsatisfied with the breakfast service during your stay. Please be assured that all of your feedback has been taken on board and passed on to the Food and beverage team so that corrective action can be taken and hopefully on your next visit we can exceed your expectations.
In regards to your concerns regarding the incident you reported about the birthday card, please be assured that we take reports like this very seriously as guests safety and well-being is the top most priority to us as a hotel and we would hate for you to feel like the issue you reported was handled as anything other than a serious concern. The hotel investigated the incident fully, checking all CCTV footage, key card readers and also questioned the reception staff involved, the results of which have already been sent to you via email.
As previously stated to you by reception, under no circumstances are guests’ personal details given out or released in person or over the telephone. In your case, what appears to have happened is that the gentleman approached the desk with the card and asked one of our receptionists to pop the card into your room as it was your birthday. Your name was already on the card, so our receptionists told him that we would be happy to deliver it to your room for him, and the gentleman left. No further details were disclosed at any time to the gentleman by our reception staff and one of our receptionists went up to put the card into your room later that day for your return.
I’m afraid we’re unsure how this gentleman acquired your name or the fact it was your birthday, but he claimed to our receptionist that you had been talking in the bar and it had been disclosed then.
I apologise if this incident caused you any alarm or upset, but I can assure you that none of your personal details were released at any time by our staff and at no point did the gentleman have access to your room or any of your private data in the system. I hope that this puts your mind at rest and draws the matter to a close.
If you would like me to follow up on anything else, or if I can answer any further concerns regarding your stay with us, please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Poor, slow and unclear check-in with unhelpful staff who didn't explain problems well. Business room was large, fairly quiet, and with a nice view overlooking the river. However, bedding was too hot for early summer. Free internet worked well. Lifts were a bit erratic.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel
I'm sorry that you were not satisfied with the check-in experience. I would be happy to address the problems you mentioned if you would like to email me direct with further details at louise.turnbull@rdissonblu.com

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed in this hotel on the weekend of the 7th of June and I must say I have never been served breakfast by such stuck up dullards. What an absolute set of jokers these lot are. I would go as far to say none of them have a brain. The girl managing them couldn't manage a p^ss up in a brewery.
Other than the breakfast the room was fantastic but the cleaning staff were very loud in the hallways and loved talking about there sex lives.
Will not be returning to this hotel EVER again.

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague
3  Thank GaryCGil
Louise T, Front Office Service Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

I'm very sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with your recent stay with us.
I am very interested to hear further details of the issues you have outlined here, so if you would like to email me direct at louise.turnbull@radissonblu.com I will be happy to hear your feedback and take corrective action wherever necessary. I look forward to hearing from you shortly

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is our second stay at the Raddisson Blu in Durham and we cannot fault it. The rooms are spacious and airy and very clean. The staff are really friendly and helpful. Would not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Christine S

Thank you for your wonderful 5* review
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel over a weekend. We were given a room with view across the river towards the majestic cathedral. The room was a good size, attractively furnished and
quiet. A request to convert the double bed into 2 singles was dealt with within 15 minutes of our arrival by a very friendly employee. Indeed, the highlight of our stay was the enthusiasm and friendliness of hotel employees in general. Whether at reception, in the restaurant or the fitness area, this aspect was remarkable and reflects so well on the North-East.
Air-conditioning in our room was effective and not too loud. The bathroom was very acceptable too.
Breakfast was good and the variety of dishes on offer was noteworthy.
The swimming pool - not only for the use of hotel guests - is a decent size with sufficient space for both more serious swimmers and the less energetically-inclined user.
If visiting Durham in the future, I would certainly stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask for a river view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent review of the hotel
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and especially happy that we were able to provide you with a lasting North-East welcome!! I hope will come up and visit us again shortly.