Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
  • Pool
US$691
US$187
US$133
The Honest Lawyer Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$68
Travelocity
Bannatyne Hotel Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$58
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Lumley Castle Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$105
Premier Inn Durham City Centre(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$98
  • Bar/Lounge
Travelodge Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$80
Travelodge
Premier Inn Durham North Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$85
2,780 results
All reviewsbusiness classthe riverbusiness roomfree barcar parkcity centrestandard roomacross the bridgemodern hotelgood sizesauna and steam roomjunior suiteleisure facilitiesexcellent hotelbuffet stylepoached eggsbars and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I stayed for a weekend away with a friend. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist and check-in was efficient. We got to our room on the third floor and had an excellent view of the river and cathedral.
We were able to walk into town within 5 minutes, and are out on our first evening. The second night we decided to try the hotel restaurant. Big mistake!! My friend's main meal had to be sent back as it was tasteless and swimming in oil and my own dish ( some sort of mixed seafood) turn out to be half a dozen pieces of bread crumbed, dry cardboard which had been deep-fried into
oblivion and there was no accompaniment, perhaps a little side salad or some sort of potato would have been nice instead of having to order everything seperately. If I'm paying £17.50 for some crusty dry fish I at least expect a few chips with it!!!!
Breakfast in the sunday morning was busy, as you'd expect it to be, everything was self-service right down to tea and coffee. Again, if I'm going to pay over £14 for breakfast I expect some sort of service for my money! Admittedly the waitress did clear the dirty crockery away from the table efficiently (in fact it seemed to be as soon as i'd put the last mouthful in and before I'd even stopped chewing!!). If you're not bothered about a bug breakfast take my advice and call in at the little bar over the bridge on the way into town - much cheaper and they even make the tea for you!!!!
I would recommend this hotel as a place to stay if you're visiting Durham - just don't bother eating there if you like value for money!!

NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2010

Than you for your positive comments about the bedrooms and leisur facilities
We are changing the menu soon in Filini so if you return I hope you find something more to your liking

Reviewed 30 April 2010

My partner and I had a romantic weekend away in Durham, and chose to stay at the Raddison Blu as part of the trip. Upon arrival and check in we paid for the room in full, and parking at £6.50. We were also asked if we could be charged an extra £30 for room extra’s, which if we didn’t use, would be refunded. I’ve never come across this before...and it seems a bit cheeky to be honest, why would i give an extra £30 that I might not use, as soon as I check in?
Never mind, I thought, the hotel was lovely, clean, modern, spacious and the staff all looked professional and were extremely helpful.
Our room was a standard double, which itself had plenty of space, the bed was huge and again, the room was clean and tidy. The bathroom was small, but clean and modern and we had no problems at all.
I’d asked for an ice bucket for champagne to be brought up to the room for our arrival and the staff had done this, with a couple of champagne flutes. Again they were helpful and polite.
After having a meal in town, we returned to the hotel and had a drink in the bar. A pint of lager and a single vodka/soda came to £10, now I’m not a tight so-and-so but that seems more than a little steep.
Unfortunately we hardly got any sleep at night, because of a party going on in the corridor outside our room. We were woken several times during the night, and we weren’t the only ones.
I understand this was not necessarily the hotels fault. However they could have done something about it as the noise continued throughout the night.
I complained, and the hotel refunded me half the cost of the room (after first offering to refund the parking fee, which I took to be a joke).
Overall the Hotel and staff is very very inviting. Clean, well presented and professional. I would definitely stay again, however I wouldn’t touch the hotel bar, I’d walk the 30 seconds to Walker gate and drink in the numerous bars there for a fraction of the price.

3  Thank eyley

I am happy that you enjoyed the hotel and I hope to see you again soon in Durham

Reviewed 6 April 2010

The Radisson BLU is a new hotel only open 18 months very modern and contemporary. The standard room overlooking the river was spacious and well appointed very clean with all you need for a short stay, we stayed over Easter weekend.
The Filini italian restaurant served good food, not a wide range of menu options, but never the less the food and service were good. We weren't rushed or hasselled.
Drinks in the bar served by attentive staff.
Overall surroundings, staff and hotel deserve top marks. Didn't use the fitness suite so can't comment.

1  Thank tomannmac
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2010

am most pleased to hear your positive comments about our hotel and Filini restaurant
Its a shame you didnt get a chance to use the fitness suite as it is very extensve and has lots of different machines available to give a total body workout

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

neal.holloway@radissonblu.com

Reviewed 3 April 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights as a treat. Hotel was clean, modern, light and comfortable, and in a quiet location. We found all the staff pleasant and helpful. We were given a room at the back to start with (a lovely room nonetheless) but we wanted the view at the front, and we were able to switch with no problems at all. The room was very comfortable with everything you need (tea/coffee, hairdryer, WIFI, fridge/mini bar, iron, flat screen TV etc). We had drinks in the bar on our last night - thoroughily enjoyable. We didn't eat at the hotel - preferring to explore Durham's restaurants (and we felt the price of the breakfast was a bit high). We used the Emmanais spa for an hour long Signature treatment each - bliss!! Yes you do have to pay for parking, but we didn't mind as you can just park up and then not worry about the car - everywhere is within pleasant walking distance - we didn't use it once. All in all a super place in a fantastic location. We will definately be back as we loved Durham. Will definately recommend to others.

1  Thank AdoreMyHols

I am most pleased to hear your positiove comments about our hotel. I am glad that you managed to get a front view room arranged for you and that you enjoyed the treatmants i Emmenais. We work consistently to improve our range for services and products and I am sorry to hear that you think we are overpriced for breakfast, may i just mention that we have the Radisson Super Breakfast here with over 50 items to choose from which I feel it is very good value for money and if you upgrade to a business class room then breakfast is included.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

neal.holloway@radissonblu.com

Reviewed 1 April 2010

Location is central everything five minute walk away, train station is also close- by and trains to Newcastle every 15 mins which is handy cos theres not an awful lot in Durham. Big car park at the hotel charged at £6.50 per day but make sure you get an exit card when you check out or like us you will have to go back to reception and get one to exit the car park. We ate in the hotels Italian Restaurant, its pricey and the wine was awful (bottle of Cavi) the food well over cooked in both cases, service was quick and friendly but would have to say the meal was certainly not worth what they charge and as there are plenty of places to eat near- by would do that next time round. When we booked we requested high floor and extra towels but got neither, room needed a real good dusting, bathroom clean, air con unit was a bit noisy. The bar is supposed to be open til 1am but the young man running it on the 2 nights we stayed, closed it up at 11.30pm and there were no bar snacks available after 10.30pm. I would stay here again if we could get as good a rate as we did this time round it would be fair to say it was worth what we paid £140 for two, for two nights but not worth more than that

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anonyHampshire

Thank you for the positive comments made about your stay at the hotel
I am sorry to hear that Filini did not live up to your expectations and that the bar was not open as late as you would have liked
I would welcome it if you would contact me directly in the future to manage your reservation

neal.holloway@radisssonblu.com