3,095 results
All reviews business class the river business room free drinks car park city centre standard room modern hotel mini bar good size sauna and steam room junior suite leisure facilities per night fantastic hotel bars and restaurants buffet style
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here on a Business trip to Durham. When I arrived, the main doors were locked and I had to use the back entrance. Not a good start. Noticed a police presence but thought perhaps there had been a burglary or something. As the evening progressed the police presence grew, as did the number of people attending an event in the hotel. I asked the hotel what was happening but they would not tell me - they actually said it was a private event and they could not tell me what it was. I asked one of the now-14 police officers and he told me it was a political party conference , for a party which I won't mention for fear of my review not being allowed. Let's just say they are quite anti-Europe, have members of a far-right group among their ranks and want to remove all the rights and protections given to LGBT people and lots of other draconian measures. There were a few 'make America great again' baseball caps present. As a gay man I was really, really unhappy that Radisson Blu were taking their money and I spent my evening feeling extremely uncomfortable in the hotel, as did my two colleagues. The rudeness with which my questions to reception were met was staggering, alternatively just being given a completely blank face. At the same time I felt sorry for the (non-UK) European staff who had to serve them - what a horrible position to put your staff in. Me and my colleagues decided to go to our rooms rather than be among this party's supporters. I am seething that my trip has been affected like this and would never use this hotel again for fear that it could happen again. Shame on the Radisson for making a guest feel like this.

That aside, the rooms were fine. Double room was two single beds pushed together. Nice views and close to town. Staff were very friendly (except when you asked about what was happening in the conference room). Breakfast was fine, though found a huge black hair in my toast and what is that smell in the corner near the tea - it was horrendous but provided myself and my colleagues something to talk about over breakfast. Also, powdered eggs were ok during the war but not today and certainly not for an alleged four-star hotel. Evening meal in restaurant was pretty basic. Spa was ok, quite dated and shower rooms were dirty, like they had not been washed down in months.

Would I stay here again, no, I would rather give my money to a hotel group that respects their guests.

Room tip: Choose somewhere else
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank nothingwitty
RadissonHotelGroup, Customer Care at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your constructive remarks. We have taken note of your observations and passed them onto the hotel management team for further consideration.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Booked a special break for my birthday at the Radisson Blu Durham. Was concerned at significant police presence, a large gathering at the hotel and an anti fascist protest outside. The hotel refused to tell me what was going on, said it was a private party and the details were secret. It seems the hotel is quite happy to receive money from far right organisations.
If this is the sort of hotel you like, so be it, it's not for us.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Wolfgang W

Dear Wolfgang,
Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to share your constructive remarks. We have taken note of your observations to improve our services and they have been sent to the hotel team.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed here overnight. At reception I asked if there was a river view room available, and we were allocated room 208. The room was spacious with hanging space for clothes and lots of shelves. There was a long dressing table with a mirror above. I tried applying make up here, but it was too dark, only to find that a switch by the door turned on a large light above the mirror and a standard lamp I had previously tried to switch on. The bedroom and bathroom were both clean and spacious. The bed was very large and very comfortable.

We called in at the restaurant to ask to see the evening dinner menu, as bad weather was forecast from storm Freya and we didn’t want to walk into the city centre in the wind and rain. The menu seemed ok so we booked an evening meal, after I had checked if I bought a Groupon voucher, I would be able to use it that evening.

As I am not a fish or seafood eater, I found the starters limited, but we ordered the soup. The rolls and butter arrived first. We were both disappointed that the rollswere not warm and were very hard, and mentioned this to the waitress.

Our main courses were the cheese tart and the superfood salad with chicken breast. Both were very nice.

For some unexplained reason, with our voucher we could have a starter and a main course, but not a main and a dessert!

After dinner we went to look at the spa and were impressed with the swimming pool. We are hoping to use this facility after breakfast in the morming.

Breakfast is a self service affair. We chose a table near the windows. Both chairs had crumbs on as did the table. I had my back to the window and went to move the chair to sit down, when one leg of the chair fell into a hole in the metal grating, if I had just sat on the chair I could have ended up hitting the window backwards. When moving the table further forward, packets of sugar appeared from under the base of the table. In looking at the other metal bases, they all had food debris and dust on them, and also on the sides of the table.

As advised, I requested a poached egg for 5 minutes, this actually arrived about 20 minutes later and would have been better being poached for slightly longer. I had actually eaten my cooked breakfast items by this time. The menu for breakfast was extensive, with cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt and cooked breakfast items and toast.

There is an extensive room service menu, with some items being available 24 hours.

A short time after breakfast we decided to use the spa. After changing I could not stop the shower but a lady told me they were on a timer. I had to ask the way into the pool as the signage was on the actual door, which was side on to me.

We enjoyed our swim, steam room and jacuzzi. We showered then got dressed. I didn’t know where to leave my towel, again, no signage and no one to ask. I eventually discovered it was by reception.

The reception staff were very helpful with our signing our car in. We had to pay £9 for an overnight stay,

There is an enormous building site next to the hotel, which looks as though it could take a considerable time to finish, but the hotel clearly states this on the web site when booking.

Overall a good stay, with just one or two slight niggles.

Room tip: Even numbered rooms appear to be on the riverside.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Location of the hotel is pretty easy to find from the train station with it being about a 10 minute walk downhill.

Check in was prompt without any wait and a full explanation was given about all the amenities and where to find them also I was having a bit of a melt as I had managed to leave loads of things at home with the most important being my hair straigheners where the receptionist was my saviour and told us there were straighteners in the changing rooms at the pool.

The room was massive, clean and tidy with an amazing comfy bed. I have to say a massive apology to the cleaners as I threw a very large glass of red wine over myself but mostly the bed so sorry for the mess.

We ate in the restaurant that night and service was very attentive but in hindsight we should have shared a pizza as they were just too big but very nice as was the breakfast too with plenty of choice.

Already looking forward to booking the next one.

Almost forgot the receptionist booked us a taxi back to the station and it was £5 well spent I don't think I would have managed the trek back up without a heart attack :)

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The 3 of us stayed at the junior suite which was on the top floor with slanted ceiling so the room felt small. Only bedside lamps n reading lights are provided in the bedroom, the room was dark. TV was placed on the desk, took up all the space, had to work with TV glaring into my face. They should have hung up the TV. Sitting room has a bright light but it shines from the mirror at eye level, horizontally, very irritating n uncomfortable. They should use ceiling light. For GBP280 per night, I would rather book 2 regular rooms.

Date of stay: February 2019