“DIRTY 3 DAY OLD SHEETS - DISGUSTING”

Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Durham
EC1
“DIRTY 3 DAY OLD SHEETS - DISGUSTING”
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I stayed there this weekend for 3 nights. I went to visit my sister who has 2 young toddlers.
On Sunday morning, the 2 year old slept in my bed for an hour whilst we drank tea in the room. Unfortunately, his feet were a bit dirty (he'd been running around in bare feet) and he was also eating crisps (bought from room service). This was before my room had been made up that day.

Hours later I returned to my room (about 10pm) and to my horror I found my bed 'made up' but my sheets still dirty and gritty. I phoned reception who said sheets are changed every "2 or 3 days".

The same sheets on my bed for 3 days is UNACCEPTABLE. The only reason people stay in a hotel is, basically, to rent a bed for the night. 3 days with dirty sheets is a joke.

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank CityofLondondweller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
  • Turkish first
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I have stayed at the Radisson a few times now and have generally been happy with the services.

I stayed there in December 09 in a business class room, which was fantastic. I stayed there again in May and the experience had changed slightly. The hotel underwent some changes and actually reduced the number of Business Class rooms, as customers were mainly booking the standard rooms, hence the change should give them more capacity.

I stayed in a standard room this time, which has 2 single beds joined together, to create a sort of double bed....but they give you 2 single duvets!? Seems a bit silly to me, but all I had to do was call reception to have them send a double up. Also the room service food is very expensive and isn't all that great. I had the Radisson Black and Blue Burger, but it was greasy and the chips were not nice at all, plus a 1 ltr bottle of water is £4.90!!!!!

The Filini restaurant is very very over priced for the quality of the food. By all means it's nice, but not worth the amount they charge. (i.e. >£20 for steak!).

The gym and pool are nice and it only takes a couple of minutes to walk into town, where there are much more reasonably priced restaurants. Another big bonus is that Internet Access is free, as opposed to the Mariott which charges £15 for 24 hours!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank arun1uk
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
Thank you for your review of the hotel.
I am sorry that you found our food and beverage outlets expensive but pleased that you enjoyed our gym, pool, fantastic city centre location and our comlimentary wi-fi
I look foward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2010

The Radisson Blu Hotel in Durham was the first “Blu” hotel I have stayed at in the UK. I actually stayed here on business and as such, had my accommodation booked for me based purely on location so when I arrived, I was not as clued up as I would usually be! I was very presently surprised. This was a very new hotel and exceptionally clean and welcoming. The lobby was well laid out with three people at the main desk ready to help guests. Luckily, there was no queue to check-in (always a good sign after a long journey) and within minutes was making my way to my room. I was in a standard room and I was very impressed with what I got. A large, double room with high quality furnishing, flat screen TV and good sized bathroom. So often in city centre hotels, the bathrooms are so small, but here you had plenty of space and again the furnishings were like new, complete with power shower and fluffy towels.

What I like about Radisson Blu hotels is that wi-fi is complimentary. Free wi-fi available in my room will single handily mean I will go back to that hotel above all others in the area. The connection was very easy to set up, with a unique code displayed immediately on the TV screen when I entered the room. The connection was also very fast, which was especially pleasing as so often in room wi-fi is so slow.

Although I did not spend a lot of time at the hotel, the breakfast was first class and the evening menu at the Italian restaurant looked very inviting. There were also great facilities at the hotel including a comfortable bar and seating area in the lobby, indoor swimming pool and PACE Health Club consisting of a gymnasium, steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi, Emmanais Treatment Rooms along with business facilities such as meeting and conference rooms.

Overall, I had a great experience at this hotel that I could not fault. Everything was a very high standard – the staff, dinning, wi-fi and bedroom.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
I am glad that you found the hotel to your liking and that you made good use of our complimentary wi-fi.
Hopefully if you return you will be able to make better use of the excellent facilities we have here
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We stayed here for one night en route to a wedding in Northumberland. The hotel was really easy to find and in a great location - just a short walk over the bridge or along the river into town. Our room was spacious, comfortable and with a river/cathedral view - much nicer than you get in many other city hotels! We didn't have breakfast but did pay for parking - which we actually thought was quite reasonable for a 24hour stay. We were also offered a room upgrade which included breakfast, parking and drinks at the bar - so had we wanted to pay the £14.95 each for breakfast this would have been quite a good deal! I'd come back - to Durham and to the Radisson.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
I Hope You Do!!
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review about the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Durham soon
UK
Reviewed 21 May 2010

I'm not a fussy person, or in any way petty; and I fall into the camp of a non complainer. However, I had breakfast at this hotel, and for me this is also a rare event. I travel for a living and as a point of principle I will never pay hotel prices for breakfast - even if a client is picking up the tab. But, this morning, I did.

When I entered at 7:30 am, the restaurant was disconcertingly full. Nobody took me to a clean spare table, I meandered through a maze of chairs and tables trying to find a seat, either an empty one, or, one covered with partially scoffed food or with tea stained cups.

Once seated, nobody told me the drill. What did I do next? I sat waiting for a tea or coffee question, or a help yourself to this or that . But nothing. Oh well....

I eventually followed the others, and there was a lot of others, to the buffet area. I asked a member of staff, cleaning tables, how do I get some coffee. A gruff French accented reply told me "at the buffet!". The response told me he had been asked a few times before.

At the buffet the plates are kept warm in a surgical storage cupboard. I only know this because I asked somebody. And then somebody asked me, And then somebody asked him, get the picture - the plates are a little hard to find even though they are right in front of you. I have to admit there was a sign that said "PLATES".

Theres a little spot at the end of the buffet, this is the place were all the uneaten food goes, its also were the staff loiter. They make occasional journeys out, but seem, by their body language, to be unapproachable.

Here they serve two types of breakfast. I choose the cooked breakfast option, but really, there is nothing or no one stopping you taking the cheaper continental option and helping yourself to a full English. I stood in line, choose bacon, sausage, beans, friend egg, etc, etc. I sat down ready to eat, poured my self a tea, and tasted my breakfast and: It was cold. I was so disappointed. After breaking my rule, paying for breakfast, I felt cheated. I looked for someone to complain to, but I couldn't be bothered. It was late and I needed to leave.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
I am sorry that you didnt find the breakfast experience as good as it should have been and I hope you return to fully enjoy the hotel another time
Manchester
Reviewed 16 May 2010

I have stayed at this hotel for several weeks. The location is fab, central to Durham, and the views over the river (ask for a river view) are nice. As it's a Radisson, rooms are clean and modern with all necessities, you can't really expect more, so it's a comfy stay.

The gym is very good and the pool and steam room very relaxing all in all a pampered stay...

However, BEWARE! It's expensive. They will charge you £6.50 for parking (yep, it's THAT expensive) - Park out the front if you can, it's a hidden charge that upsets many people - I have seen the arguments! Also make sure you check up on the room price, as breakfast will set you back £14.95!! Yep, absolutely outrageous considering you'll be paying between £80+ for a room.

Restaurant is good but heavily over priced. There are so many better eating places closeby.

If you want a comfy stay, then it does that but be willing to pay outthe cash!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 17 May 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review here and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I stayed with my wife for one night as part of a short break. This hotel is smart, clean, and still feels new. We had a room overlooking the river at the front, which was nice. There is an extra charge of £6.50 per night for the carpark which is a bit annoying, but I knew this in advance and as we got a reasonable deal on the room I can't complain. We didn't use the bar, restaurant, gym or pool. The breakfast was self service (including tea/coffee) but was fine. I thought the location was good- very quiet at night. It's next to an office building in a fairly industrial street, but overlooks the river where there's a footbridge over towards the centre of town. There's a new development of bars and restaurants (and cinema) just a few minutes away towards the town. We found the hotel an ideal distance away from the cathedral/castle area to allow an easy walk, without being in such a noisy central location (like the Marriott looked to be).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 11 May 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to Durham soon