“EXcellent Conference and stay”

Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Darlington, United Kingdom
“EXcellent Conference and stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

the location of the hotel is fantastic. I attended a conference, apart from the lunch everything was well organised. The rooms are fantatic. the views beautiful.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
Thank you for the review of the hotel
I am pleased that you like the location and the fantastic views we have
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Turkish first
Cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

Hotel is really well placed for sightseeing just a few minutes walk from the city centre. The room was really big and although it was a really hot weekend the air con worked well so we slept well. The breakfast was average and its all self service even including the tea and coffee. The waitress who showed us to the table didn't tell us this which caused a bit of confusion. Overall though we'd rate this as a great hotel in a good location.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and I hope to see you back again soon
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

We stayed here for just one night recently when visiting Durham to go to the theatre. I have to say we got a great deal at the last minute for about half the advertised price so I was prepared to be impressed as long as everything worked. In the event, I was really pleased with this hotel.
The check in was quick and pleasant with easy parking (this is quite a plus in Durham!). The room was relatively large and well furnished with lots of wardrobe space, decent bathroom and TV etc. The only thing that confused me was the minibar - which was just empty. This was fine for us (as we only needed to chill the drinks we'd brought with us) but what if you actually wanted something?
We didn't use the restaurant but did take a nightcap in the bar - which was ok and reasonabl;y priced. Best thing though is the location. A nice riverside setting with a footbridge across the river immediately outside. So handy - just a few minutes to the theatre and the town centre. Couldn't be easier.
This is my latest favourite place to stay in Durham - but do search for a deal as I'd say it's more 3 start+ than 4 star.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rambler
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review about the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Durham soon
EC1
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

I stayed there this weekend for 3 nights. I went to visit my sister who has 2 young toddlers.
On Sunday morning, the 2 year old slept in my bed for an hour whilst we drank tea in the room. Unfortunately, his feet were a bit dirty (he'd been running around in bare feet) and he was also eating crisps (bought from room service). This was before my room had been made up that day.

Hours later I returned to my room (about 10pm) and to my horror I found my bed 'made up' but my sheets still dirty and gritty. I phoned reception who said sheets are changed every "2 or 3 days".

The same sheets on my bed for 3 days is UNACCEPTABLE. The only reason people stay in a hotel is, basically, to rent a bed for the night. 3 days with dirty sheets is a joke.

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank CityofLondondweller
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2010

I have stayed at the Radisson a few times now and have generally been happy with the services.

I stayed there in December 09 in a business class room, which was fantastic. I stayed there again in May and the experience had changed slightly. The hotel underwent some changes and actually reduced the number of Business Class rooms, as customers were mainly booking the standard rooms, hence the change should give them more capacity.

I stayed in a standard room this time, which has 2 single beds joined together, to create a sort of double bed....but they give you 2 single duvets!? Seems a bit silly to me, but all I had to do was call reception to have them send a double up. Also the room service food is very expensive and isn't all that great. I had the Radisson Black and Blue Burger, but it was greasy and the chips were not nice at all, plus a 1 ltr bottle of water is £4.90!!!!!

The Filini restaurant is very very over priced for the quality of the food. By all means it's nice, but not worth the amount they charge. (i.e. >£20 for steak!).

The gym and pool are nice and it only takes a couple of minutes to walk into town, where there are much more reasonably priced restaurants. Another big bonus is that Internet Access is free, as opposed to the Mariott which charges £15 for 24 hours!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank arun1uk
NHollowayGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Durham, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
Thank you for your review of the hotel.
I am sorry that you found our food and beverage outlets expensive but pleased that you enjoyed our gym, pool, fantastic city centre location and our comlimentary wi-fi
I look foward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2010

The Radisson Blu Hotel in Durham was the first “Blu” hotel I have stayed at in the UK. I actually stayed here on business and as such, had my accommodation booked for me based purely on location so when I arrived, I was not as clued up as I would usually be! I was very presently surprised. This was a very new hotel and exceptionally clean and welcoming. The lobby was well laid out with three people at the main desk ready to help guests. Luckily, there was no queue to check-in (always a good sign after a long journey) and within minutes was making my way to my room. I was in a standard room and I was very impressed with what I got. A large, double room with high quality furnishing, flat screen TV and good sized bathroom. So often in city centre hotels, the bathrooms are so small, but here you had plenty of space and again the furnishings were like new, complete with power shower and fluffy towels.

What I like about Radisson Blu hotels is that wi-fi is complimentary. Free wi-fi available in my room will single handily mean I will go back to that hotel above all others in the area. The connection was very easy to set up, with a unique code displayed immediately on the TV screen when I entered the room. The connection was also very fast, which was especially pleasing as so often in room wi-fi is so slow.

Although I did not spend a lot of time at the hotel, the breakfast was first class and the evening menu at the Italian restaurant looked very inviting. There were also great facilities at the hotel including a comfortable bar and seating area in the lobby, indoor swimming pool and PACE Health Club consisting of a gymnasium, steam room, sauna and Jacuzzi, Emmanais Treatment Rooms along with business facilities such as meeting and conference rooms.

Overall, I had a great experience at this hotel that I could not fault. Everything was a very high standard – the staff, dinning, wi-fi and bedroom.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
I am glad that you found the hotel to your liking and that you made good use of our complimentary wi-fi.
Hopefully if you return you will be able to make better use of the excellent facilities we have here
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

We stayed here for one night en route to a wedding in Northumberland. The hotel was really easy to find and in a great location - just a short walk over the bridge or along the river into town. Our room was spacious, comfortable and with a river/cathedral view - much nicer than you get in many other city hotels! We didn't have breakfast but did pay for parking - which we actually thought was quite reasonable for a 24hour stay. We were also offered a room upgrade which included breakfast, parking and drinks at the bar - so had we wanted to pay the £14.95 each for breakfast this would have been quite a good deal! I'd come back - to Durham and to the Radisson.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple