“A very pleasant experience.”

The Town House Durham
Ranked #4 of 40 Durham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Myself and my husband stayed here for a night just before Christmas as a treat for his 30th birthday. We'd seen it on Four in a bed and always liked the sound of the Premier Room, and we know the new owners are refurbishing the rooms and getting rid of some of the themes so we wanted to stay there before we missed our chance. The room was lovely, the cinema screen was great (with amazingly comfortable reclining seats!) and we really enjoyed our stay despite the few problems we had. Unfortunately, the hot tub was not working properly, and we only managed to get in for half an hour before the temperature got too cold and we couldn't use it anymore for the rest of the stay. We phoned twice to try and get it sorted and they did try to help but it didn't work. This was a real disappointment for us as this was one of the main reasons we booked this room. To be fair to them, we did receive a discount on the cost because of this. I have to say, the shower was another disappointment as all the bells and whistles were extremely complicated, the steam thing did not seem to work at all, just squirt cold water at your feet - not ideal! Also the water drained very slowly which meant you couldn't stay in long without having a flood on your hands. However, despite all of this, I have to say, it was a lovely stay. All the staff we dealt with were extremely friendly and polite, the room and the bathroom were beautifully done, and the bed was amazingly comfortable. Breakfast also was delicious. I would recommend this b&b for special occasions, we really enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: Look on the website - all the rooms are different.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bexy8472

Reviewed 5 January 2012

nice room,and bathroom,rooms wer having a refurb when we stayed so was a bit noisey,the meal was fine and reasonably priced,rooms a bit pricey for me thou but would stay again

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jonboysxi
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We arrived in durham after a long and tiring day and as we passed the restaurant we thought we would try to eat there as it was relatively early-no problem- it was filing up later with a business party and early Christmas meals but the y produced a meal without any hoha at all-the kitcen is almost central to the restau. but not visible. food -shared antipasto starter was excellent, fish main fine steak main I was told was excellent all beautifully presented. Charming waitress and receptionist. Decor a bit strange-awful lot of fringing-owner thought the place used to be a house of ill repute so the decor is a bit brothel in a nightmare-(though I'm using my imagination here)I would definitely eat there again

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We have never been to Durham before and didn't know where to stay - so of course we "googled" lots of hotels in the area. We wanted a central location and I wanted a boutique hotel that was not too impersonal. The Fallen Angel ticked all the boxes from the reviews on Trip Advisor and beyond.... and we were not dissapointed. The decor is delightful, the breakfasts were excellent and made to order (none of that buffet breakfast here!), and the room we chose ( Indigo) was opulent and quirky. Just what we needed for a relaxing weekend break - our only regret is that we didnt dine in the hotel as the comments in the visitors book were very glowing. The new owners are building up a reputation for their food and that is why they call it a restaurant with rooms... We will definitely recommend and go back again. A great escape for the weekend in a lovely area.

Room Tip: The hotel is in the process of a refurbishment so ask for the Indigo or amethyst room! Just for now.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here in november for my birthday as a treat from him. I arrived at the penthouse suite and was sooo amazed at how beautiful it was, couldnt wait to get a bath! :) there was champagne ready and waiting the bed was huge and the ro was sparkling! The molten brown gift set was a perfect touch.

We went out for food to a small restaurant called old fields... Had walked for a while to find fat budda but couldn't find it so we went to old field instead. Didn't think much of this to be honest... Over priced strange food...

Had a breakfast at the hotel and it was gorgeous, the staff in the restaurant were lovely... We ate and got ready to check out..

As this was a gift from my boyfriend to me, I didn't want to know the cost understandably... My boyfriend told the reception when he booked that it was a surprise and they offered him a bottle of champagne... He was then told his deposit he has paid way earlier in the month hadn't been authorised so he would have to re pay... This wasn't a problem but our problem was the female who 'assisted' us. She told us at the top of her voice his payment had been declined, and that it was to be paid in full, onviously this isnt a problem andy boyfriend arranges to go to the cash machine...She then decided to shout across reception exactly how much was owed for the room and for the champagne....That was my birthday surprise ruined... He was highly embarrassed that she repeatedly said 'the payment wasn't authorised.....' as loud as possible.

Then after we withdrew cash and paid, nobody asked how the stay was and I'm baffled as to how the champagne isn't complimentary when he was told it would be?

Either way, this certain staff member wasn't great, and doesn't create a very good impression for FALLEN ANGEL. But I cannot fault the rooms, bedding, decor, bathroom, area, and breakfast.... Amazing stay. Thankyou to those who made our stay so lovely.. X

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank xxkt07xx
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Stayed here with my boyfriend and a family member as part of a birthday celebration and had a lovely time. The hotel is decorated tastefully yet feels decadent. Staff were friendly and attentive , and really made us feel welcome. We stayed in the Edwardian express and Cruise room, both of which were clean and cosy, and quite romantic. The themed rooms set the hotel apart without being OTT or in your face. In the evening we had drinks in the bar before enjoying the Lumiere around durham, and came back to a lovely meal in the restaurant where, again, the staff were attentive and charming. The room was slightly noisy over night due to the extractor fan from the laundry room above being on, which kept me awake briefly. Aside from that it was an excellent stay capped off by a fantastic breakfast. Would definitely recommend and hope to return again, it is worth the money.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Good frendly staff , nice food, good location and a warm comftable room what more could you want from a hotel

Room Tip: The wifi is out of range to log on in the Penthouse.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Best Western Grand Hotel
Best Western Grand Hotel
#4 of 9 in Hartlepool

Been to The Town House Durham? Share your experiences!