“Gorgeous!!”

The Town House Durham
Ranked #4 of 40 Durham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Went for my 21st birthday in January. Had an amazing time. Staff were all really nice. Stayed in le jardin was absolutely lush. Food in the restaurant was gorgeous. Not one bad word to say about it. Deffo will be going back!!

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Stayed overnight for our wedding anniversary, had the delightful Eden lodge room with the outdoor hot tub. Room was lovely, clean and very comfortable. We used the hot tub, it would have been nice if we had been able to turn off the outdoor lights or dim them a little, or even some outdoor candles in lanterns would have been a nice touch. Also the hot tub was a little too hot, and was a little uncomfortable to be in for any length of time.

We ate in the hotel restaurant on the evening and the food was fabulous, we both had the fillet steak and it was amazing, it was just a little too warm in the restaurant, but fab food !

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel is the zaniest, yet the best, that I have ever stayed at. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff (they even found the name of the wallpaper I had admired). The room was delightful, small but tastefully furnished with appropriate accessories. I loved the whole bag of Thorntons chocolates, miles better than the small piece usually left on your pillow and the copious supply of bottled water was also appreciated. The eggs benedict at breakfast were also a scrummy.
I can thoroughly recommend this hotel and will definitely return.

Room Tip: The hotel is in a quiet setting in strolling distance to town so all the rooms are quiet
1  Thank Gay W
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I booked the hotel for a 'date night' away with my husband - a break from the children and dogs! We ended up in their last room for the weekend but at a very reasonable rate. We were given the Edwardian Express which was of a medium size, quirky, interesting and comfortable. They just need to sack the person who siliconed around the bath! We ate in their restaurant - meal was very good, the steak tasty and nicely cooked. Wine was reasonably priced. Breakfast was delicious too - Eggs Benedict were perfect. The restaurant decor is lovely and a pleasure to dine in. The staff are very pleasant, welcoming and professional. The only criticism was that some parts of the paintwork up the staircase needs attention. I would wholeheartedly recommend this delightfully quirky hotel and would like to stay there again.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We had this hotel booked for us for by my parents as a wedding present for the night after our wedding.
The room we stayed in was the first garden lodge and it was stunning.
Everything about the hotel was great the decor, the staff etc etc.
We were late for breakfast but they still catered for us which was much appreciated.
We loved this hotel especially the private hot tub and we will definitely return :)

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Booked Edwardian Express room, theme rail carriage. Nice for the price, clean, comfy bed. Could do with a mirror to get ready with in the room, the small mirror was just adequate. On arrival reception friendly, the girl that showed us to our room was very nice and friendly, interacting with us, but unfortunately it was her last night working there. Booked meal in restaurant as it was our Anniversary, this is we're the hotel lets its self down. I ordered escargot (snails) unfortunately1 of the 6 snails were missing. I was served with lovely warm bread but no butter. When I advised I was a snail short I was told the chef would be advised no apology. I asked why no butter served was told the bread was for moping up the garlic butter in the shells, I said there wasn't any. I asked for tongs which you normally get with snails to allow you to hold the HOT shells, to be told they don't have any hmmm!!!! My husband had the seafood platter 2 oysters, 2 tiger prawns and 2 very small queen scallops, I know queen scallops are small but these were tiny. No bread served. Starts both £9.50.each. We had sirloin steak medium rare New York strip, we must say it was 1 of the best steaks we have ever had cooked fantastic so the chef redeemed himself with the main course. Order veg side orders as meal is only chips, mushroom were fab and we had cauliflower cheese. When we asked for bill we got charged for £20 of drinks we didn't have, so check bill. There were only 5 couples in restaurant so I found the lack of attention very poor. Breakfast was nice good selection on menu. However you wait for your toast, it coming with your breakfast not before it. No side plates or knife. Served coffee then left on our own with no request if we wanted more, we were the only couple in the restaurant. Might be n idea to serve coffee jugs to allow self service. Overall nice hotel for price, location great, restaurant prices not bad. But the management need to look at their attention to guests proving more customer service. Would we stay or go to restaurant again yes, just because of the steak and rooms.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

I had excellent service before and during my stay at this hotel. I contacted the hotel regarding whether they would allow a well behaved Wheaten Terrier to stay in the room whith us, as the website did not mention whether it was dog friendly. The only nearby hotel that did so, said any dogs had to be put in a cage if they were left alone in the room - shame on you Ramside Hall. Gadds do not normally allow dogs but they agreed that we could bring ours, which was very helfpul.

They gave us the garden room, which is in the garden to the rear of the hotel, and it was excellent for us and the mutt. The room is large and well equipped, although the decoration was a little eccentric and a little feminie for my tastes. The carpet was notably exuberent for a hotel. There was a well equipped little picnic basket sitting on the luggae rack, with snacks and drinks, inclduing 2 small bottles of complimentary red wine, which was appreciated. There was a large well equipped bathroom that was also suitable for disabled use. There was also an outside hot tub, hidden rather awkwardly down a narrow outside passage & protected from the view of the dining terrace just above by a reed or dried grass canopy. We didn't use this, but presuambly some guests find it desirable.

A couple of points about the garden rooms - wifi did not reach these rooms, so be aware if you need it (you can pick it up in the bar area and rooms in the main building) and the table is not really large enough to sit at and use as a work table.

Breakfast was good, although the tea was tiny & was not refilled, nor were extra portions of toast provided when the original smallish portion was used.

Overall a good hotel in a great location in central Durham, a short walk from the town centre. I'd definitely use again when travelling to Durham. Hopefully they will become completely dog friendly now, there is deifnitely a gap in the market for a dog friendly hotel in town, and the two garden rooms are ideal.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Best Western Grand Hotel
Best Western Grand Hotel
#4 of 9 in Hartlepool

Been to The Town House Durham? Share your experiences!