“Central and lovely” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 39 Durham B&B and Inns
Nottingham
“Central and lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed in March at Gadds which we thought was lovely. The reception is quite dark but atmospheric. Reception staff and breakfast lady were very friendly and welcoming. We weren't blessed with good weather but still enjoyed Durham. We chose to stay in Ruby room which ad previously noted was quite dark but quite sumptuous. Because the bath was there we got in it but it did seem a bit quirky to be bathing at the end of the bed. Shower was gorgeous. Water and chocolates on arrival and water replaced on second day which was welcome. You must take a good supply of £1 coins as you have to feed the meter from 8am until 6 pm at £1 per hour. Beware the parking meter man he will get you if he can. We ate at Bells fish and chip place and the Lebanese restaurant (San Marco I think) which were both lovely.
Breakfast was cereal and juice to start, only order porridge if you are hungry as it was beautifully cooked and prepared but a large portion. Cooked ranged from full breakfast to eggs benedict and others all freshly cooked and nicely presented on lovely crockery.

Room Tip: Ruby was a little smaller than it seemed on the website but still very nice.
1 Thank HopalongNottingham
townhouseowner, Owner at The Town House Durham, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for choosing Gadds for your recent stay in Durham

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

We are very grateful that you took the time to leave a positive review of our hotel as we all work very hard to make your stay the best it can possibly be. I will pass on your comments to all the staff.

We look forward to seeing back at Gadds in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Equanimity
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the "cruise" room, which I believe is one of the cheaper rooms in this bijou and kitsch (to mix my languages!) hotel. It was fab! All done up like a 1930s cruise liner! Just delightful. D
Staff exceptionally friendly and welcoming, breakfast top notch, and all within minutes of the old town centre. Won't hesitate to go back. Bed comfiest I have slept in for ages. Total delight .

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Gadds on your recent stay in Durham

We are extremely pleased you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel. We are delighted our staff looked after you so well and you found our breakfast top notch! We all work hard to make your stay as perfect as possible and try to go above and beyond when ever we can.

Hopefully it won't be long before we see you again!

Once again thank you for taking time to post a positive review and choosing Gadds.
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I cannot complement the staff and venue too much. My wife and I stayed over the weekend in one of the lodges at the hotel.The room was really well furnished and presented just as we had hoped from the website We both found the surroundings and service of the very highest standard. It was great to stay in such a central hotel in Durham. We also ate in the restaurant which was one of the finest meals we have had at any stay in the UK. The breakfast on Sunday Morning was a delight.
On checking out we complimented the staff who informed us it was now under new management - It certainly feels like this hotel will be providing excellent service long into the future if our stay this weekend was anything to go by

1 Thank Graham B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

We booked a one night stay in the Garden Lodge with hot tub. Gentleman on reception really friendly when we arrived. Reception really dark but adds to the shabby chic interior. Got took to our room which was at the back of the hotel down some steps to what looked like 3 lodges together. He took us in to a really small room with 2 doors one for the bathroom and one to the hot tub. He showed us where everything was I.e. Tea, coffee, complimentary picnic basket filled with 2 bottles of small red wine, thorntons chocolates and glasses. He turned the heating on as the room was freezing. Surely this should of been turned on before we arrived! First impressions were not good as room really small. Bathroom was a decent size with wet room shower, sink and toilet. There was a seat in the wet room with a silver bar which was I believe to hold yourself if maybe in a wheelchair. This silver bar we didnt touch as it was corroded off the steam we think. The silver was peeling off it. Didnt look nice. Paint on wall near toilet looked like it needed doing again. The heating didnt work properly so my husband spent most of the time trying to set the timer to get hot air to come out of it. Cracked glass on mirror in bedroom! Hot tub was lovely and out of the way for privacy. The outside area where hot tub is is really small and doesn't help that there are big planters with trees in them. The kingsize bed that is advertised is 2 single beds pushed together so when you turned over it felt like you were falling down the middle. Gentleman on reception said "this is for health and safety as cleaners cant lift kingsize mattresses! We didnt have evening meal in restaurant we went to Zen which was lovely. Breakfast was really nice and the girl who served us was really friendly. Overall we had a nice stay but far too overpriced for what you got. £220 for 1 night! You would expect that little bit more TLC in the rooms and the attention to detail to be second to none. I don't think we would stay again I would probably pay a little bit more and go to a more exclusive hotel where I know we will get what we paid for. Gentleman was lovely when we checked out. I told him our concerns and said he would pass them on as new owners took over. Hopefully he will as it would be a shame if nothing improves as it could be a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lazytow
townhouseowner, General Manager at The Town House Durham, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you choosing Gadds townhouse for your recent stay in Durham city.

Naturally we are disappointed that you found some aspects of your stay weren't as you would have liked.

As mentioned in your review the hotel has just been taken over by new owners who are in the process of making all manner of improvements to the hotel as a whole. We have had a team of trades men working since your stay and we have accomplished a lot in a very short space of time. With regard to items you highlighted we have made the following changes:-

The Chrome hand rail has been replaced
The Cracked mirror has been replaced
The bathroom has been repainted.
The mattress has been replaced with a one piece Super king mattress
A number of planters have been removed from the private outdoor area.

With regard to the room being cold upon arrival this should not have happened and I have made the necessary improvements in the way in which we hand the rooms over from housekeeping to reception to ensure this error doesn't happen again.

As you stated the hot tub area was 'lovely'. We have since your stay, improved this area vastly as we have completely refurbished the private hot tub area.

We are pleased that you received excellent customer service as this is something we try very hard to achieve. We also note that you enjoyed our superb breakfast.

With regard to your comments as being overpriced this is a matter of opinion and as such is very subjective, but we believe that when all factors are taken into consideration, like prime city centre location, private outdoor hot tubs and quality of rooms and service we think we offer very good value for money and have lots of previous customers who agree.

Hopefully you will reconsider your decision to stay elsewhere next time so that you can come and see for yourself the huge changes that are currently being carried out at our Hotel.
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I were looking for somewhere special to stay in Durham and came across Gadds, we booked the Garden Room for 2 nights @ £250 pounds a night - to say we were disappointed with the room would be an understatement. For this price it was too small, too standard (very similar to a Marriot room down the road for a third of the price), the heating kicked in and out making it either too hot or too cold and the bathroom was tatty and shabby.
However I must say the staff were very good and very attentive. I read the reviews re the restaurant and I must say the dinner was OK, breakfast one morning was not great but the second morning was superb.
I understand the operation is up for sale, my advice to the new owners, invest in your rooms as you have a gem here but it desperately needs some TLC

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Durham is a beautiful city.
Chose Gadds town house due to its quirky appearance and close proximity to Durham centre. We booked into the Edwardian Express room after obtaining a parking spot right outside the hotel (£4 from 3pm until 9am) Upon check in they asked for a card to secure any extras to our room. I have never had to use my card to secure a £50 reserve before as it is usually just swiped or scanned.
The room was lovely complete with a mahogany based bed and matching wardrobe kitted out with extra carriage themed furniture and accessories, The tea and coffee were placed in a leather bound chest! The theme continued into the bathroom with a carriage shaped door. The bathroom was clean and functional with plenty of bath towels and molton brown products. My only complaint would be the crack in the tiles, they were quite sharp underfoot. We addressed this on checkout and hope this will be resolved as it spoiled the effect. Also the shower curtain is a problem we personally are not fond of these as they stick to you when showering.
The room is quite dark with limited mirrors and sockets for drying hair.
Breakfast was delicious cooked to order ,fresh coffee and served by a lovely bubbly blond lady .
Gadds Town house whilst not the cheapest is worth a visit for the experience of staying in a themed room close to the beautiful Durham city centre.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank tillielancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Well it's not often I give full marks but what a stunning place, with very welcoming staff I had a young lady with blonde hair show me round the two rooms that were left so I could pick which one I preferred! I stayed in the cruise room, nothing was to much trouble at all for her! On arrival in my room I was greeted with thorn tons chocs on the end of the bed! Then there was other goodies in the bathroom my fav Molton brown!! These little touches have put this ahead of anywhere I've stayed!! Not to be missed a hidden treasure in Durham! Then on to the exquisite restaurant with a rich luxury interior where I was given the most delicious glass of merlot panul 2012! I highly recommend! I'm hard to please and this lovely boutique hotel with the special touches and staff have done it!! This place is a reason for me to come back to Durham!!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,959 reviews
Moorings Hotel
Moorings Hotel
#2 of 3 in Chester-le-Street

Been to The Town House Durham? Share your experiences!