The Town House Durham
US$694
US$216
US$208
  • Pool
The Honest Lawyer Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$68
Travelocity
US$133
Bannatyne Hotel Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$58
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Lumley Castle Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$99
Travelocity
Premier Inn Durham City Centre(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$98
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Travelodge Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$80
Travelodge
Premier Inn Durham North Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$85
PremierInn.com
All reviewshot tuble jardinthe penthouseruby roomamethyst roomeden lodgeedwardian express roomthemed roomspicnic basketrestaurant with roomsroll top bathsteakeggs benedictboutique hotelwedding nightno liftstaff were lovely
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We are just back from a 2 night stay at the Fallen Angel. Thankfully we booked it on late rooms, so saved £200 but even at the discounted price, we felt it was WAY overpriced.

It was a special trip so we booked the russian bride room. The photo's looked incredible. In real life, the bedroom area was really lovely (bed was amazing) but the bathroom was very dark and depressing and we had problems with getting the appliances to work (sauna, jacuzzi). There were also a few signs of wear and tear which made the place feel neglected (chipped paintwork, loo roll holder hanging off and buttons worn off the bathroom appliances). Not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

For £200 a night (discounted from £300) we expected first class treatment. This was not the case.

The room was at the top of the building up several flights of stairs. There is no lift and the girl on reception who showed us to the room charged on ahead leaving my poor husband carrying both our cases to the top (I'm 5 months pregnant so not much help on that front). She made no apology for lack of a porter. Once inside the room she just said 'there's the bathroom', no help in explaining how to work anything. That was all left to the manual which was pretty useless.

There was never any feeling of hospitality at the hotel when we left or entered. Vary rarely was there anyone on reception.

This hotel has the hallmarks of a property that was once great but in the wrong hands has been left to deteriorate. It needs some love and attention and it's residents need to feel as though they are welcomed. Particulary at the price it charges.

We cannot comment on the food as breakfast was not included in our deal but we found a fab little pub round the corner (Court Inn) which did amazing grub.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ains1973
Reviewed 26 September 2010

We stayed at the Fallen Angel in September 2010 for our anniversary in the La Jarden suite.

The welcome was very warm and the room was amazing, we especially loved the Jacuzzi and spent the entire stay in there overlooking the gorgeous scenery.

We eat in the restraunt: starters were lovely and both steaks cooked to perfection.

The staff were really friendly and even showed us round the other themed rooms.

Unfortunately the new owners are no longer keeping The Fallen Angel as a themed hotel, so we would advise you visit as soon as possible!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PollyFred
Reviewed 26 September 2010

We have just returned from a fantastic weekend in Durham and stayed at The Fallen Angel hotel. We had an amazing time and thought the hotel was worthy of a review from us.
We stayed in the Boudoir room and it was a marvellous experience. To start with the bathroom must be one of the best we’ve experienced and the four poster bed was soo comfortable. the decoration was top class! Top marks from us, the room was out of this world.
We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant before hitting the town and were both served with perfectly cooked Angus steaks, the first time we’d had Angus steaks.

The staff were polite, friendly and gave us some good advice on things to do in the area.
We had a very relaxing stay and thoroughly enjoyed our trip to Durham.

We both believe the Fallen Angel make the weekend away extra special. Why can’t all hotels be like this?? We will definitely stay here again, who wouldn’t.

A big thanks to the fallen Angel hotel management and their staff for making the experience so memorable.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Rather than go over this again I thought I would just cut and paste the email I sent to the hotel...be sure to scroll down to read the owner's response. Utterly appalled at this as we were actually requested by the receptionist upon check out to send an email detailing every point as they needed as much feedback as possible. As somebody who has stayed there several times, I will never go there again. Such a shame as the staff are really lovely and helpful.

Dear

I am writing to complain about our recent stay in The Fallen Angel hotel. We stayed in The Cruise room last night (Saturday 11th September) for my birthday. We are returning customers and have always had a fantastic stay. However, on this occassion our stay was far from acceptable.

Within 20 minutes of checking in to the room, water started to leak through the ceiling and on to our bed. We rang reception immediately and Claire came up to see what the problem was. Apparently the water was coming from the bathroom above. Claire explained that we were unable to change rooms as you were fully booked and offered money off the bill or a bottle of champagne during our evening meal. Although we had planned to spend the afternoon relaxing in the room, (one of the reasons we enjoy staying in themed rooms) we made ourselves scarce for the bedding to be changed. Claire said she had never known this to have happened before but looking at the ceiling this looks like this has been a recurring problem.

It wasn't until we returned to the room and started to get ready that we noticed how dusty our room was. It was as if the room hadn't been used in ages. The table at the bottom of the bed was covered in sand or salt and the unit to the left of the door entrance was covered in dust.

When we went down to dinner we ordered our drinks and the waitress then dropped a full bottle of beer on our table. She apologised, which is fine as we appreciate that mistakes happen and the girl was clearly mortified, but the whole table had to be washed down, even our room key had to be taken away to be dried. The waiter said that he would take the drinks off the bill which was a kind but expected gesture under the circumstances. The food was lovely but I had to ask for another glass of wine 3 times and the service e.g. asking if we had finished our meals when we still had cutlery in our hands, left a lot to be desired. On top of this, we received no complimentary champagne as discussed earlier.

This morning we went down for breakfast. We were the first people to sit down for breakfast, and to be honest, the room was filthy. The tables were covered in red wine stains from the night before and the floor was extremely dirty. We ordered our coffee which was so strong it was undrinkable.

Upon checkout we were expecting a large discount on our room rate as a result of the issues we had experienced and as had been discussed with Claire. The final insult was that this promise had not been documented so the lady (Brenda I think) on reception had no knowledge of this, thus we had to pay the full amount. On top of this, the drinks from last night's meal had not been taken off the bill.

All in all, having recommended The Fallen Angel to countless people, even to the point where friends have had weddings there, I'm afraid to say that on this occassion the experience was unacceptable.

I would be very grateful if you could look into this for us and organise the refund, as promised, onto my husband's card. We have stayed there for our wedding anniversary and birthdays in the past, but my husband was clearly embarrassed that for my birthday this year, The Fallen Angel has fallen standards.

Kind regards

Now for the reply...

Victoria

We have very recently taken over the Fallen Angel in which time the room rates have been reduced significantly and now include breakfast as we accept problems do exist and are doing our best to sort.

I am sorry it would seem no matter what we have done or what we hope to achieve is going to meet your exacting standards.

Receptionists do not have the authority to further discount or gift champagne.

Nigel

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
15  Thank britblonde
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I had booked this hotel for as a birthday present for my partner and had been excited about going for months. We booked the Russian Bride, which looks and sounds like the most amazing suite ever..quirky, luxurious, classy, different. WRONG

I had enquired in advance as to whether breakfast could be served in the room, and was told yes. When I tried to book this in advance, I was told….’we don’t do room service’. Odd, considering it was the same woman emailing me from a week or so before!

Called in two days before we were due to check in to see if champagne could be left in the room– no one on reception. Waited 20 minutes, rang the bell, nothing, waited a bit more….then left! Strange.

On arrival, the staff were friendly, but there still seemed to be a lot of commotion coming from the restaurant (which was STILL undergoing renovation, despite us being told that the fact the restaurant was open meant room service was off). Got into the room, which was huge, and seemed nicely appointed at first glance. HOWEVER…

The fixtures and fittings were cheap and nasty. Spa bath was broken…apparently this is no longer advertised as having a spa bath since it has been broken for some time. When we enquired at reception, we were told that some water had got down into the buttons and to just ‘keep trying to push them and it might work’…dodgy. The ‘luxury shower’ was made from naff green plastic marble effect and had plastic fittings. All in all...not very 'classy' at all. (although the l'occitane toiletries were nice)

You cant argue that this room isn’t striking, but for £300 a night (at the usual rate), it’s a rip off. For that sort of money I would expect real quality and attention to detail….proper luxury. (and maybe a mini bar????!!! & an open restaurant!)

All in all, I was so disappointed with this hotel, I had raved about it to all my friends and was a little upset to have to report back that it was rubbish! Cant speak for the other rooms, but the Russian Bride certainly fell short of expectations.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple