“Excellent value for money despite a few niggles”

The Town House Durham
Ranked #5 of 38 Durham B&B and Inns
Durham
“Excellent value for money despite a few niggles”
Reviewed 11 January 2011

The Fallen Angel really is unlike anywhere we've stayed before. We chose The Premiere Room due to the cinema screen & hottub, as a wind down before Christmas.

When we arrived at 3:15 the hot tub was just being cleaned out, and we were told it'd be about 45 minutes until we could use it and that we'd get a call from reception. We didn't hear anything from reception, and ended up calling them ourselves after an hour and a half to be told the hot tub should be ready to use. I have to say the hot tub was absolutely superb, there was nothing better than drinking bubbly in a hot tub in the snow!

The room itself was quite cramped, but very comfortable. The room has 2 large leather electric cinema chairs for watching the large screen. It took us a while to figure out how to work it all, but reception had said that if we had any trouble they'd be happy to help. The bathroom was nice, with the most advanced shower I've ever seen with a steamer, jets, lights, radio etc..... again was complicated to use but if you persevere it's worth it

The only major gripe was that the door out to the hot tub wouldn't lock. This wasn't a problem as we didn't go out anywhere, but I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving the room to go out. We mentioned this at reception the next day and they said it might have been due to the extreme cold weather.

Breakfast was good, we both had a cooked breakfast which was really nice, no complaints at all.

We paid £120 for the night and this is fantastic value for what you get. Yes the room is starting to look a bit tatty around the edges, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

We'd definitely visit the hotel again if it keeps the themed rooms, somebody on here mentioned that they might be changing this which would be a shame.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
North England
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Stayed in Sci fi room and wasnt disappointed. Met by friendly helpfull staff and continued to be excellent throughout our stay. The room was fun and different from anything we have experienced before, loved the huge bed and bathroom with the cyber man on the wall and darlek beside the bed. Didnt know what to expect after reading the other reviews but were more than happy with our experience. The restaurant food was great, couldnt fault it. the barman was good fun and helpful with cocktail suggestions. Hot tub was excellent despite the bad weather it didnt put us off getting into the warm tub. The only negative I have about the hotel was the hot tub ran all night and was just behind our bed so found it noisey, would have been useful if it could have been turned off at night. Will be back again as loved this small eligant hotel with a twist to a boring room.

Leeds, England
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I was really excited about visiting The Fallen Angel for our anniversary. I am always looking for quirky interesting places to stay. This place was really interesting and our room (Cruella) was really fun, all painted black and very atmospheric. The bathroom was awesome and we loved the luxury of the sauna, roll top bath and steam, shower! Felt like I had been to a spa! However one criticism about the room, would be it did need a couple more lamps as it was too dark to locate items around the room especially at night. Also needed more light around the dressing table area, it was just too dark to put any make-up on there. The spotlight also fell over very easily, once on my head ouch!
I thought the staff were really helpful and friendly and made you feel very welcome. However I cannot quite help feel that it did not quite meet my expectations but they were trivial things but they kind of added up.
The food in Cadz Grill and the breakfasts were very salty…..tasty, but very salty! I asked to swap a dish that was too salty, which is the first time I have ever taken a dish back, and they kindly made me something else and did not charge me, but unfortunately is was just as salty! I also asked the waitress a couple of questions about the food and she did not seem that knowledgeable.
I couldn’t help but feel like we were a bit of an inconvenience to the breakfast staff. They just did not seem as helpful and friendly as the others. They had run out of granary bread, which is advertised on the menu, on the first day and then, said they had it on the second day but brought out what looked like 70p own brand supermarket wholemeal, which was annoying as I specifically asked if they had granary, would have had white if I had known.
On the first day we were offered a choice of preserves with our toast but on the second was simply given butter and had to ask for everything on top sauces, jams etc. We also had to ask for extra baked beans on the fry up as it just seemed like we were given a couple of teaspoons worth.
We also found a fingernail on our breakfast table, not long after we found a pair of someone else’s knickers down the side of our bed! The staff were very upset about the knickers and refunded us the cost of our wine on the first night, which I was happy with, these things happen.
Over all I loved the hotel, just feel like the restaurant lets it down a bit, especially in the mornings. I just feel that it is not quite worth the money. Re-reading the other reviews it seems that the problem is consistency and I really hope they keep the themed rooms as it so unusual.

Sunderland UK
Reviewed 9 November 2010

After booking I was worried about our stay as it was a birthday treat for my boyfriend and some of the reviews left a lot to be desired. Some friends had stayed earlier in the year and had a great time and I needed had been concerned. We were greeted by friendly staff and everything was explained to us. We felt very well looked after. We stayed in the premier room, based on a cinema theme which far surpassed my expectations. The bathroom was fantastic, bed comfortable and the cinema screen and chairs were brilliant. Hot tub was running ready for us and reception provided us with an ice bucket and glasses without hesitation or waiting. We had a fantastic meal in the restaurant and all together had a brilliant stay.

1 Thank abigail09
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2010

My husband and I have recently stayed at The fallen angel. We have read the reviews and were surprised at some comments. On arrival the receptionist was friendly and welcoming. She showed us to our room and explained how things worked- eg hot tub aircon etc. (to the reviewer who complained that there was no one on reception and his room was not ready at 2pm- check in is 3pm ! and it clearly says on the hospitality tray that fresh milk is available from reception, which we had) We stayed in le jardin suite and have to say that we really enjoyed our stay. The room was lovely. Quirky and fun with a very comfortable bed! The room has a large flat screen tv, fab bathroom with huge shower and bath but the best features were the sauna and the hot tub. How fantastic to sit in the hot tub overlooking a lovely view . We were totally relaxed! We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent, as was our breakfast. The staff showed us round the other rooms which all look lovely, depending on your taste! Overall, we had a great stay. Totally different to any other hotel weve stayed in. Unfortunately, it may not be retained as a themed hotel, so visit soon!

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2010

The Fallen Angel used to be one of my favourite places to stay EVER.
So, we booked, at short notice, for a well deserved treat - or so we thought.

This time booked into the Sci - Fi room.

When we arrived, reception staff had lost our dinner booking - forgivable.

We went to the room = it was SO COLD - absolutely freezing. No explanation of how to use the air con as "you have stayed before and all rooms are the same in that respect".
I then asked for some fresh milk for a cuppa to warm us up. I was very firmly told to use the "sachets in the room service box", i.e. the tiny cartons of disgusting UHT stuff! - no thanks.
It must be said that the last time we stayed - we were brought fresh milk in an instant!

Then - where had the mini bar gone???

Apparently taken out of the rooms now! and no offer ANYWHERE of room service.
The room itself was grubby and worn. Damp patches on the bathroom walls barely hidden by the Dr Who cutouts.
Also air freshener so strong that I can still smell it inside my holdall despite washing it.
NOT PLEASANT.
Dinner was decidedly average. £5.50 for 3 tiny scoops of ice cream covered in drinking chocolate powder was an insult.
Breakfast was rushed - we were the only people in the dining room at 9am but there was no sign of cereal/ fruit/rolls etc and we certainly were not offered any.

What can I say other than NEVER AGAIN.

We are aware that a change in ownership has recently happened but NOT for the better.
I am so sad because I loved this hotel - now I'm just angry - the whole night cost us £235.

glasgow
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We are just back from a 2 night stay at the Fallen Angel. Thankfully we booked it on late rooms, so saved £200 but even at the discounted price, we felt it was WAY overpriced.

It was a special trip so we booked the russian bride room. The photo's looked incredible. In real life, the bedroom area was really lovely (bed was amazing) but the bathroom was very dark and depressing and we had problems with getting the appliances to work (sauna, jacuzzi). There were also a few signs of wear and tear which made the place feel neglected (chipped paintwork, loo roll holder hanging off and buttons worn off the bathroom appliances). Not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

For £200 a night (discounted from £300) we expected first class treatment. This was not the case.

The room was at the top of the building up several flights of stairs. There is no lift and the girl on reception who showed us to the room charged on ahead leaving my poor husband carrying both our cases to the top (I'm 5 months pregnant so not much help on that front). She made no apology for lack of a porter. Once inside the room she just said 'there's the bathroom', no help in explaining how to work anything. That was all left to the manual which was pretty useless.

There was never any feeling of hospitality at the hotel when we left or entered. Vary rarely was there anyone on reception.

This hotel has the hallmarks of a property that was once great but in the wrong hands has been left to deteriorate. It needs some love and attention and it's residents need to feel as though they are welcomed. Particulary at the price it charges.

We cannot comment on the food as breakfast was not included in our deal but we found a fab little pub round the corner (Court Inn) which did amazing grub.

1 Thank ains1973