After reading positive reviews we were extremely disappointed with this place. We intended to stay for two nights but left after the first to find somewhere better.
We had the last available room and it was dreadful. The bathroom fan was broken so had no ventilation and it was a hot day but they hadn't opened any windows so the room smelt very damp. The bathroom was very dated - the shower over the bath was either freezing or boiling. The bathroom light was broken and the light pullcords were brown and disgusting. The hotel is between two main roads so every room will be noisy with busy traffic.
All this and just a continental breakfast for £95!
We complained to the staff who were very friendly and sympathetic but there was nothing they could do. The owner refused to speak to us directly and hid behind his staff (via the phone), which was poor. We were informed that he knew about the problems with the room and an electrician was coming out that day to fix them.
This was clearly a lie:
1. We had the room booked for that day - was the electrician going to work whilst we were in it? Why hadn't we been informed?
2. My husband is an electrician and said that shower required a plumber to fix it.
3. If the owner knew that the room was sub-standard then why was he charging full price for it?
So we left and found a very lovely B&B for just £68 a night with full cooked breakfast and a fully functional, clean bathroom!
I can't speak for the food but I would not recommend staying here. It is not worth the amount they charge.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Expedia, Book Direct Rooms, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your The Garden House Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Garden House Hotel Durham