“Birthday meal chaos!”

The Garden House Inn
Ranked #20 of 41 Durham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My friend booked a table for eleven of us to celebrate her birthday at this hotel and I have never experienced anything so awful in my life. We waited 1.5 hours for the food and then they forgot to serve two meals. When one of the two came (the other was refused because everyone else had finished), the meal was so small that you could hardly see it- it was sent back. The quality of the meal my partner ate was very poor- overcooked and overpriced. Essentially, he paid £12 for sausage and mash with no vegetables.

We did complain to the owner. A compensatory bottle of red wine was given but we were a party of eleven and half of us were drinking white wine. Finally, the owner's attitude to our complaints was defensive, bordering on rude. Altogether, there was no excuse for this standard of service as the inn was not even full!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank LexyCusco1

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Food here is great, although would benefit from a bit more variety. The duck is to die for.

However; the rooms are a bit of a letdown. Clean enough but the showers don't work properly and they're a bit dated. Plus breakfast is just some ham and cheese or cereal. All very nice just would be nice to have something worth getting up for.

Other than that, no complaints!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank fatpig2012
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed overnight to visit Durham. What a find! Don't be put off by the traffic as we slept extremely well and it wasn't a problem. The spacious room was spotlessly clean, comfortable bed and tastefully furnished. Our meal that evening was first class! Plenty of choice and well presented. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Although breakfast was continental, the selection was excellent. Many thanks for a lovely stay, Rob & Carol

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife and I decided to dine here last week. We were both disappointed with our meal and the service that was provided.
The meal was not of the quality or the presentation that I would have expected for the price we paid. Service was virtually non existant, we were given knives and forks after the meal was served and there was no mention of condiments.
On paying the bill I was asked how the meal was, to which I replied, ok. No further comment from the member of staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights this week, it is a lovely place to stay, a short walk into Durham, comfortable room , nice big towels , great pub food, a really good continental breakfast selection , lovely helpful staff . Many thanks for a perfect stay. Janet and Ken

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here for one night. My initial impression was that it was a quaint pub/hotel with lots of character. I booked in and was given a room facing the front of the hotel onto a main road. I did have concerns about traffic noise, but I can honestly say it wasn't a problem.
The room was well furnished if a bit quirky, the toilet was adequate, but had carpeting.. not my favourite.
I ate in the pub and the food was really good quality. The have a reasonable menu to choose from with some usual favourites like burgers, but also some of their own creations.
The bed was not the most comfortable I have slept in, but the linen and towels supplied were very clean.
The room had a desk with some quirky decorative items ,e.g. oversized vase, wooden duck and another ornament. This was a little impractical as it meant there was no actual desk surface to work on.
The staff were friendly, but even though it was a week night and the place was quite empty I had to wait for service. They may put more staff on at weekends?
This is a 5-10 minute walk from Durham train station and 5-10minutes back in the same direction to the town centre.
If you are looking for something a bit different from the usual premier inn and Travelodge then this is for you.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Having only lived in Durham for a few months, we have been looking for a decent pub with a comfortable atmosphere, friendly service, and original food. This fit the bill. The food was nothing to complain about and the ambience/crowd was much more pleasant than the rowdiness and tourist appeal one finds in the city centre's pubs.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple