“An absolute gem in Durham City.”

Crook Hall & Gardens
Ranked #2 of 58 things to do in Durham
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“An absolute gem in Durham City.”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

It is well worth a visit to Crook Hall and Gardens - a beautiful gem that makes you feel as if you are miles away in the countryside and not 5 minutes walk from a city centre! Stunning gardens, a maze, a building that has parts that are medieval, Jacobean and Georgian, quiet areas to sit and relax and lots to discover (statues etc.) all make for a truly magical visit. There are also wonderful views across to the cathedral and even a courtyard where you can take some time out to have some tea (or even a bite to eat). We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and can't wait to visit again!

Visited July 2014
CrookHallGardens, Owner at Crook Hall & Gardens, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments. It was my birthday the day you posted your comments and I was visiting a famous garden in the south of England I am delighted at that time you were posting such nice comments about our gardens. I believe our gardens will be nationally famous in the years to come. Thank you for your support

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Such a beautiful place”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I was lucky enough to be invited to a wedding here and it was just stunning. Beautifully tended gardens and superb service. Can't imagine a more beautiful, typically 'English Garden' place to be.

Lovely food too.

Visited September 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. A guest at a wedding here must be wonderful it's hard work as a member of our team on wedding days. I was pleased you described it as an English garden I have the vision to create the hall and gardens as the epitome of the English garden to rank alongside those great English gardens Great Dixter ,a Sissinghurst and Hidcote We still have some way to go. Thank you for your feedback
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely house”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Gardens not at their best because of the season but interesting layout. House and teas great. Try and find the ghost.

Visited July 2014
Thank you for your comments .We always appreciate feedback from our visitors. I was so pleased you enjoyed your visit. I was curious as to when you visited the gardens. We have worked hard with a planting scheme which provides colour throughout the year. Some months it's camellias others it's roses and others it's dahlias. We try to give the garden rooms a different feel so for instance the dahlias in the Georgian walled gardens are particularly good in September Perhaps you can return then. We look forward to welcoming you back
Tyne and Wear
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Recently visited Crook Hall Garden for the first time, admission charge high for a small area. The gardens are lovely but a walk round is complete in just an hour. The outdoor cafe seemed a good idea but food offered was most disappointing . Soup and a roll proved to be just soup but when questioned, the waitress offered a slice of cheap sliced white bread. A very long queue for the only toilet does not make for a satisfactory visit.

Visited June 2014
CrookHallGardens, Owner at Crook Hall & Gardens, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
So sorry your visit did not live up to your expectations. Thank you for your feedback.We all remember the day. We serve home made soup and rolls but on the day in question we were under pressure from the very large numbers of visitors. Unusually we ran out of our home made rolls but our soup was still in demand despite the warm weather. I do hope your waitress offered you a full refund for your lunch when you raised the matter at the time.
I am pleased you found the gardens worthwhile and you are right you can certainly get round them in an hour,longer if you linger. Adding a wander round the house and the galleries would add time to your visit. We do have more than one toilet, one on the ground floor and one on the first floor.We have plans approved for a visitor centre and additional toilets but it all takes time with a Listed One property located in a conservation area. The Hall is privately owned and consequently cannot attract public funding. All the running costs and development costs have to be generated by visitor income,so thank you so much for supporting us by visiting.

Thank you too for your feedback and we are certainly addressing the points you raised. We always try to exceed visitor's expectations but sometimes we do fail. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Newcastle United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Exquisite afternoon tea set within beautiful secret gardens”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I can't believe we weren't aware of Crook Hall before now, what a truly magical and serene place, and right in the city centre. The excellent customer service began even before my husband and I arrived, in fact months before booking our sparkling afternoon tea for two - I dealt with a lady called Maggie who was very pleasant to speak to and went out of her way to be accommodating.
On arriving, every single member of their staff was genuinely lovely. We had been allocated a table set on its own within the gardens, under a pretty white gazebo, with beautiful china. We felt like we had been transported to another era! I have found that often (and surprisingly) afternoon tea can be disappointing. I can honestly say that wasn't the case at Crook Hall, the food was excellent and there was just the right amount of it. They have a good selection of teas to choose from and the sparkling wine was delicious. (I also noticed a yummy looking lunch menu as a cute looking shop!)
We walked our food off afterwards in the many secret, stunning little gardens dotted around the grounds. Such character to it all - even the house with it's medieval hall and very own ghost story.
Even better Crook Hall is affordable enough to visit on a fairly regular basis - needless to say we will definitely be back soon.

Thank you for your lovely words. I am delighted you found your Sparkling Afternoon Tea so enjoyable. I have been elsewhere and come away disappointed however we have borrowed ideas from the best and believe we have created something very special.Our staff work so hard to make our ideas work. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again