“Just NO!”

Finbarr’s Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Finbarr’s Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 304 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
“Just NO!”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I will keep this quick and snappy.

Service: The reservation was muddled up. The staff were unaware of what most of the dishes contained and were unprepared for elaborating the menu in any manner. They were unable to tell us about any food-wine pairings that would have improved our palate. In general, they were pretty incompetent. The food took way too long to come which I didn't mind since it was Valentine's and I was enjoying the company but if I was not under the love-struck tolerance afforded by the festive day then I would have probably taken a flamethrower to the kitchen considering the pork belly after all the cooking still felt well ergh undercooked. The staff even took ages to bring us our bottle of champagne. How can that take long?

Food: Happiness=Reality-Expectations. Hence I was very unhappy indeed. One can blame me for a probable inconsistent expectation of the food. However, for the fine dining prices we are paying I would have expected my pork belly to have more flavour and texture. Furthermore, the dessert to be richer but I got neither. The starters were passable.

Atmosphere: The table was nice. It overlooked the car park but I guess we atleast got a window. Apart from the setting's lack of visible poetry out through the window it was still a romantic setting and the lighting was pleasantly balanced to allow for a cozy but yet comfortable atmosphere.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Kasi S

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Great food and strong wine list”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Lovely birthday meal at Finbarrs. Cheese and mustard souffle and Haggis scotch egg to start, followed by beef shoulder with celeriac and rib eye steak for mains and apple souffle with cinder toffee ice cream for dessert- yum yum! Friendly service and a good bottle of Rioja reserva to wash it down. Fairly pricey, but worth it.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank johnsueF
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Excellent dinner”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were in Durham and this restaurant was recommended to us by the B & B where we stayed.
The ambience and service were excellent and the dining room was very quiet. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. Not cheap, but not expensive and a good value.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank BobE31DC
Durham, England, United Kingdom
“Durham's Finest Restaurant”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

A really fabulous place. Its not cheap and cheerful, quite the opposite. A very nice 'posh' restaurant feel but for a very good price, with excellent quality food and a good selection of wine.The staff are friendly and tentitive and offer a very relaxed feel, not at all rushed.Recommend to anyone that enjoys good food and wine in a classy atmosphere

1 Thank Redge1991
Durham, United Kingdom
“Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We were recommended Finbarr's for our 1st wedding anniversary dinner. What a great find in Durham. Busy restaurant and you will need to book. It has a great atmosphere and the food was very good. Haggis scotch egg to start was excellent as was the warm bean salad. We both had steaks but the fillet was considerably better than the ribeye. A decent wine list (Chateau Musar was excellent) and all staff were friendly and efficient. Dessert was a shared creme brûlée and was nearly as good as my mums!
Will definitely be returning.

Visited June 2014