“Can't Wait to Return”

Lumley Castle Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and myself stayed overnight at Lumley Castle on Saturday 24 March taking advantage of a Group-On deal which entitled us to bed and breakfast in a courtyard room and 20% off our evening meal in the restaurant for £99! And what a bargain it turned out to be.

As part of the deal we also found a lovely chilled bottle of white wine and a box of continental chocolates waiting for us in our room when we arrived, which was a lovely touch. We found every single member of staff to be exemplary from the ladies on reception and the guy who served in the library bar, to the waiting staff who serve us for both our evening meal and at breakfast the next day. We truly could not fault a single thing about our visit.

During the afternoon, we took advantage of the glorious weather and sat enjoying our wine on the terrace at the front of the castle where we had a great view of three separate bridal parties arriving.

1  Thank Trish36

Reviewed 22 March 2012

We ate in the Black knight restaurant for the 3rd time. Yet again I was bitterly disappointed. Our waiter was sullen and sarcastic and quite off putting. We had to ask for a 2nd breadroll which did not impress him, (nor us ) and he lifted it out of the bread basket with his fingers. We then asked for more butter, but by the tine he brought it, our meal was cold and the dry roll had been eaten. We ordered a 2nd bottle of wine, which he opened and was about to pour it into my glass which still had some of the previous wine in. ! When I asked him for a clean glass, he slammed the bottle down and made great play of presenting ME with another glass...then proceeeded to pour my hubby and friends' wine in to THEIR existing glasses. Our coffees were a long time in coming and were cold. Our friends had asked to go there but next time if they do we'll just have to refuse as it's the 3rd baad meal and poor service we've had there ! a HUGE disappointment and a MASSIVE letdown to the hotel !
My friend and I conmplained to a waitress about the state of the ladies' toilets. It was dirty untidy and there was no soap nor towels...#
A SHOCKING EXPERIENCE !!!! IN OUR OPINION !

Room Tip: Don't go...give it a bodyswerve
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank jakmissba
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed in one of the top rooms as part of our wedding package. The bed was massive and very comfy, lots of space to put things. I had a lovely shower the next morning, we even got breakfast delivered to our room the next day. The only thing I was disappointed about was that they didn't have any bottled water in the room, only a small thing but I thought that it wouldn't have hurt. Otherwise a lovely end to a brilliant day, I will be back for my anniversary :-)

2  Thank cazzzie987
Reviewed 15 March 2012

First time stay at Lumley Castle. Got a bargain deal with Groupon. Food and service were excellent. Enjoyed the discounted upgrade. Will be back soon. 5/5 stars! I would recommend this hotel to everyone.. and the sticky toffee pud!

Bob and Cath, Hartlepool

2  Thank Bob S
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I stayed at Lumley Castle overnight on a Friday with my partner. We like alot of other guests had a groupon deal of £99 for a courtyard room (breakfast included) + 50% discount off a room upgrade to stay in the castle and 20% discount off a meal in the restaurant. We took advantage of both. The castle and our room were very nice, as was our breakfast, but we were really dissapointed with our meal in the restaurant. Although the restaurant was not full we had such a long wait inbetween courses and the food was very poor for the price. I would say to anyone thinking of staying at Lumley, that if you have never been before than it is a nice place to stay but make sure that you book somewhere else for your evening meal otherwise I think you will be disappointed.

5  Thank ls66
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I booked lumley castle through groupon at £99 for two and i recieved the teddy it was for my birthday i was so excited i told every one i no. When my husband and i drove up the drive way it was out of this world we booked in went to our room it was lovely we then went for a walk around the castle in side and out we were very impressed we had a drink in the libary bar then went to get changed for our evening meal we went straight in to the dineing room we were seated at the table at 7 35pm then waited and waited and waited i had to beckon a waiter over for a drink he took the starter order then we waited again till 8 10 then we waited and waited and waited i beckoned a waiter over again for another drink he took the main meal order and waited again we were sick of waiting not much of an apologie was given the meal came at 9 15pm i can tell you we were not impressed i didnt eat my meal id waited to long my husband eat half his due to been hungry we left the restraunt and went to the libary bar we had two drinksi had a pkt crisps and a bag of nuts the restraunt manager came apologiesed if you could call it that id had enough we went back to our room must admit nice hot water in the shower in the morning went for breakfast a bit apprihencive but it was gorgouse better service altogether we checked out i did conplain at the desk and was offered to see the manager i did see the manager christine gott i told her my concerns i didnt have to pay for the two starters we had and the two drinks she offered us if we booked again a free up grade and her her word wed get better service didnt think it was much to offer as i didnt have a nice BIRTHDAY?

4  Thank MAMAACKY
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed here for one night for a family Wedding. The whole experience was brilliant. Staff were really helpful and went out of their way to help. Our room was in the castle and was very quirky but was plenty big enough for us and our young son. The Wedding was lovely and again the staff worked hard to make it a really special day. Breakfast was tasty and fresh. The staff helped to amuse our little boy, which made it much easier!
I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: We were in room 45 in the main castle. Lovely room but you could hear the music late on at night. We...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank heldow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Travelodge Durham
Travelodge Durham
#7 of 18 in Durham

Been to Lumley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!