“A family wedding”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Durham, United Kingdom
“A family wedding”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed there after our daughers wedding, which was held there too. The staff let us check in early although our room was not quiet ready, and then upgraded us to a room that was prepared. We ended up the the courtyard mews in fantastic room with plenty of space. It had a couple of armchairs in it which made a wonderful change from having to lie on the bed to watch TV. There were a couple of tiny little cosmetic things which let the room down but nothing to detract from the ambience. Breakfast was superb with a fantastic choice.
My elderly parents were also staying there (as were many of the wedding guests) and they were very impressed. As my father walks with sticks and struggles with stairs the stay had its daunting aspects but the staff were very accommodating and helped whenever and wherever they could. Both had a fantastic two night stay there.
As for the wedding itself the staff were very attentive without being in your face and they day went off very well, the sun even shone for the photographs after two days of solid rain.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hexham
Reviewed 23 April 2012

As a special treat and for something really different we recently indulged ourselves in an Elizabethan Banquet at Lumley Castle, near Chester-le-Street, and just off the A1. Initially the night we booked was cancelled, so being able to move to another night easily, we were offered a room upgrade (into the castle), two free drinks each, and £10 each off overnight accommodation (which I strongly recommend). These gestures were greatly appreciated and made us feel wanted, even though we were only a booking of two where larger groups predominate
The treat commenced for us, booking in at 3pm and being shown to a show-stopper of a room. Across court yards, up and down stairs and past acres off wood paneling we arrived in room 43, with a more than adequate share of wood paneling itself. En route we gained a taste of part of the interior of the castle and for larger 'do's' it looked lovely. The room was complete with four poster bed, higher off the floor than I expected, but manageable and a large bath inset into the room, but with totally enclosed curtains if required. The room was darker than I normally would like, but after all we were in a castle, my only reflection was that reading was difficult.
The banquet itself started with drinks in the Baron's bar, where we were left a little too long, but then I do not drink, so it was not my thing. Eventually, we were shown into the reasonably imposing Banqueting Hall by a group of ladies dressed in Elizabethan manner and ushered by a jovial Master of Ceremonies, who presided over us for the rest of the night. If you want a change, which includes simple food of average quality, albeit five courses,excused perhaps by being 'Elizabethan' and utlising only a somewhat blunt knife, then this could be for you. The entertainment was enthusiastic undertaken and the group of lady singers did their job well; their harmony was delightful. The two gentlemen, the 'jester', not dressed for the part (unfortunately) and the MC did a splendid job keeping the banqueters happy. The meal lasted from about 8pm until 11pm, when a disco was on offer. We retired by then. The room was comfortable without being ostentatious and the breakfast was as good as any 4 star hotel I have used, with a good supply of fruit and a lovely individually cooked hot breakfast with decent choice, and served on a hot plate. We left straight after breakfast though the room was ours until 11am. Whilst I would not repeat the Banquet, the hotel can be heartily recommended.

Room Tip: Maybe a new room in the Courtyard would be better value - our castle room was an experience, but suf...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Toby2006
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed at Lmley Castle for one evening. What a great place, right from checking in the reception staff in full 14th centuary dress. We stayed in room 41 a court yard bedroom ( the old stables) very comfortable done in an old english style except for the large modern TV but nessesary in these modern times, the mattress was disapointing quite hard. We were next to the main door into our block of rooms so we had noise from the door openignd closing and people going up and down the stairs. To get to breakfast in the Black Knight restaurant you have to wander through the castle halls a corridors out into the central court yard, very interesting. Continental breakfast was included in the price, a full english was an additional £15 each!!. All in all an exellent stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Sunderland
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed here for one night following a wedding. The hotel was gorgeous (although it was easy to get lost with all the different rooms!). Our room was lovely - lots of character and different to anywhere we've stayed before. Decent nights sleep although you could hear noise from nearby rooms. The breakfast was included in the rate and was very nice with a wide variety of options. The 11am check out was good as it meant we weren't dashing to get breakfast then check out.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
staffordshire
Reviewed 15 April 2012

we arrived to our room at 3pm which was check in time and room was not ready so we waited and had walk round castle which is lovely when we finally got in room there were dark hairs in bathroom and in bath the cleaner came back and hoovered them up we had no apology from any of staff the room was small and the shower door was broke so the bathroom floor got flooded when we had showers the shower head is very low and you had duck down to wash your hair not what we expected from the price we paid to stay here on the plus side the breakfast was lovely. We decided not eat the evening meal here after we saw the prices.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

This hotel was full of character, the staff were so attentive & friendly without being imposing. The restaurant was excellent, especially the breakfasts and the service very efficient - the only thing that was a bit annoying was on one of the nights the restaurant was fully booked and they only do sandwiches in the bar. Instead they have a lounge area where you can watch tele and phone for hotmeals and drinks. This was fine but the menu only has 4 things on it - food was excellent though. The rooms were great and the bed was so comfy - only minor thing was the room was a little dark for putting on your make-up! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Yet again another disapointing yet expensive visit to this castle. The main points were a long wait for food, over pricing, poor food, poor customer service and being charged for items we did not order.

I think, this place looks great from the outside, however inside if you take more than a cursory look the fixtures and fittings are tired and worn there are drillings and wall plugs everywhere, frayed curtains old carpets, and screws that seem to have no purpose sticking out of walls. The lack of attention to detail is staggering would you put up brass/bronze type lights and use shiney silver screws in your own home? I think if you have never been or rarely go to a castle hotel then the place is amazing and "wow" but actualy if you have been to others in the country you realise how shabby this one is. So I guess it's a matter of expectation and experience.

Don't worry about being late for dinner we booked for 630pm as I have a medical condition making me unable to eat late at night. We arrived early. However we were not seated for dinner until 45 mins (715pm) after our booked time. We didn't get food until about 20 mins after that! So nearly 8pm! There is no excuse we were the first people in the restaurant. The seat I was sat in was dirty with candwax all over the seat . I was concerned so sat on my napkin!

The food (when it came) was in my opinion massivley overpriced. The portions were huge, this was not fine dining but down market chain pub dining, pile it high cheap food at an expensive price..oh dear!

When we left the restaurant we paid nearly £200 inc tip. However after paying we noticed an error on the bill. I returned and a queue formed to pay as I explained we had only drank one bottle of wine. The staff asked the waiters and other staff if I had indeed only had one bottle and a mini enquiry into what I had and had not drunk ensued. With a queue behind me I almost felt as if I was trying to get away without paying. Surely with such a large bill and big tip I was not arguing over a relatively cheap bottle of wine surely then my word should have been taken. I had also heard of restuarants in America doing this to customers on purpose which is why I always thoroughly check my bill. I'm sure with Lumley Castle this was just a mistake though. However, one of the staff a young lad in the restaurant was extremely helpfull and couldn't do enough for us.

A tip for the ladies, the floors are old and uneven be careful if wearing high heels or cling tightly onto someone.

In summary, a long wait for food, poor food, bad quality fittings dirty seats and poor service and definately overpriced! But if you have never been to a castle you may just see past this faded low quality place and think it's great and give it a wow as so many people seem to do.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JohnSunderlandUk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Travelodge Durham
Travelodge Durham
#6 of 19 in Durham

Been to Lumley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!