Lumley Castle Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Travelodge Chester-Le-Street(Chester-le-Street)
View Hotel
The Old Power House(Chester-le-Street)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
2,259 results
All reviewsthe black knight restaurantlibrary barcourtyard roomelizabethan banquetafternoon teamurder mysteryfour poster bedcream teachester le streetcricket groundsconeseggs benedictevening mealspecial occasionwedding venuegreat nightwaiting staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My Wife and I stayed here in early March 2012. From the moment we saw the castle driving up, we were impressed, it is a very grand, prominent building, which has many original castle features. Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly attentive staff who showed us to our rooms (a necessity as on a first visit it can feel a bit 'maze like'.) The room it's self was great! Very spacious, four poster bed, with the novelty touch of the large wardrobe actually being the bathroom door, if we were not told about it, we may have been scratching our heads looking for it.

We left our bags and headed down to the library bar for a drink and something to eat. This was the only negative of the stay, as (like some other reviews have mentioned) the service here was very poor. Twice we had to ask if our drinks were on the way.

Later on that evening we ate in the Black knight restaurant. Food was excellent, the sort of quality that I was expecting from the establishment, atmosphere was great, very busy but there were plenty of waiting staff to cope with this. Time between courses was about 20-25 minutes, which (for me) is just right for a good meal.

After a good night’s sleep in a comfy bed we headed down for breakfast, plenty of choice again, continental, full English, Kippers etc.

I would highly recommend staying here and I have booked for us to return at the end of the month!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Guildmaster
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have had Dinner and Breakfast with friends who were staying at the Lumley Castle Hotel - a lovely building - and seen every time a cricket match is televised - it overlooks the ground. Food was very average for a nice hotel and I thought the dinner was expensive - reminding me of Marks and Spencer meals! Breakfast was much better - cooked freshly and delicious and priced appropriately for a half decent hotel. I was told that the Hotel offered a comfortable clean and safe room for their weekend'd stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Needs some create decorating to lighten it up without detracting from the historical charactor, some creams on some walls would be lovely. Everywhere is dark red and limited light. Austrian blinds block daylight. Mirrors could be added to capture additional light. Looks very romantic and cosy at night but gllomy in day light. Storage shortage our room. Staff, cleanliness, luxury excellent. Look out for offers.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed there after our daughers wedding, which was held there too. The staff let us check in early although our room was not quiet ready, and then upgraded us to a room that was prepared. We ended up the the courtyard mews in fantastic room with plenty of space. It had a couple of armchairs in it which made a wonderful change from having to lie on the bed to watch TV. There were a couple of tiny little cosmetic things which let the room down but nothing to detract from the ambience. Breakfast was superb with a fantastic choice.
My elderly parents were also staying there (as were many of the wedding guests) and they were very impressed. As my father walks with sticks and struggles with stairs the stay had its daunting aspects but the staff were very accommodating and helped whenever and wherever they could. Both had a fantastic two night stay there.
As for the wedding itself the staff were very attentive without being in your face and they day went off very well, the sun even shone for the photographs after two days of solid rain.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2012

As a special treat and for something really different we recently indulged ourselves in an Elizabethan Banquet at Lumley Castle, near Chester-le-Street, and just off the A1. Initially the night we booked was cancelled, so being able to move to another night easily, we were offered a room upgrade (into the castle), two free drinks each, and £10 each off overnight accommodation (which I strongly recommend). These gestures were greatly appreciated and made us feel wanted, even though we were only a booking of two where larger groups predominate
The treat commenced for us, booking in at 3pm and being shown to a show-stopper of a room. Across court yards, up and down stairs and past acres off wood paneling we arrived in room 43, with a more than adequate share of wood paneling itself. En route we gained a taste of part of the interior of the castle and for larger 'do's' it looked lovely. The room was complete with four poster bed, higher off the floor than I expected, but manageable and a large bath inset into the room, but with totally enclosed curtains if required. The room was darker than I normally would like, but after all we were in a castle, my only reflection was that reading was difficult.
The banquet itself started with drinks in the Baron's bar, where we were left a little too long, but then I do not drink, so it was not my thing. Eventually, we were shown into the reasonably imposing Banqueting Hall by a group of ladies dressed in Elizabethan manner and ushered by a jovial Master of Ceremonies, who presided over us for the rest of the night. If you want a change, which includes simple food of average quality, albeit five courses,excused perhaps by being 'Elizabethan' and utlising only a somewhat blunt knife, then this could be for you. The entertainment was enthusiastic undertaken and the group of lady singers did their job well; their harmony was delightful. The two gentlemen, the 'jester', not dressed for the part (unfortunately) and the MC did a splendid job keeping the banqueters happy. The meal lasted from about 8pm until 11pm, when a disco was on offer. We retired by then. The room was comfortable without being ostentatious and the breakfast was as good as any 4 star hotel I have used, with a good supply of fruit and a lovely individually cooked hot breakfast with decent choice, and served on a hot plate. We left straight after breakfast though the room was ours until 11am. Whilst I would not repeat the Banquet, the hotel can be heartily recommended.

Room Tip: Maybe a new room in the Courtyard would be better value - our castle room was an experience, but suffered from being dark.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple