“Top Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Durham
seaburn
“Top Hotel”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

This hotel is out standing from start to finish, The food and service is also outstaning,
If you are looking for a high standard hotel this is the place,

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Great location and very interesting old building, but...! Rooms are gloomy and crowded, because they are small and filled with lumpy furniture. Despite that: no wardrobes in the two rooms in which I stayed. Restaurant is the biggest disappointment: staff not very interested or attentive, food very over-rated and over-priced. They couldn't cook good chips, for goodness sake! Main course meats smothered in over-salty, ubiquitous 'jus'. Food tasted like it had been kept warmed and consequently dried out and toughened up.No crreativity. No fish, other than with chips. If you want an exceptional meal, or even a good one, give this place a miss. Prices are in inverse relationship to quality: too much for disappointing food. They need to get a grip!

Room Tip: Have look before you buy!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I pass Lumley Castle almost every day as we live in a village very close to the hotel However as part of our daughter's wedding we treated ourselves to a night at this unique venue. It was very good indeed. Our room was lovely and very plush (we were so tired after a 22 hour day that we did not fully appreciate the decor until the next day). Breakfast was also very good indeed and quite quiet the day we were there - the breakfast room is rather small so on busy times guests should get down early. The staff were fantastic; friendly and very professional - to all our wedding guests! As we were there for the wedding we had a busy day there. I am biased but the castle is handily placed for many local attractions so use it as a base rather than expecting to do a lot in the castle itself.

Room Tip: Use this hotel as a unique base to travel around Durham and the surrounding area.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This is a 600 year old castle within easy reach of Durham and a lovely place to stay for a luxury break in beautiful surrounding parkland. My friend and I have just returned from a special offer two night break where we were given a Castle Mews room in a lovely peaceful courtyard. The ensuite room was immaculate, beautifully furnished with quality drapes and linen and a supremely comfortable bed with feather and down duvet. Lots of hot water for showers and sumptuous towels. The over mirror bathroom lighting could be improved though....
The restaurant is located within the Castle; breakfast was excellent with a good choice of menu. We booked a table for dinner on our second night for friends to join us who had travelled from Newcastle and we all enjoyed a very good meal.
The castle is not at all spooky but the lighting within was subtle - I felt it unnecessary to have the heavy curtains drawn half way down during the day; just a personal obversation.
As a base from which to visit Durham it was the perfect luxury location.

Room Tip: If you want a pair of single beds in a double room; I was told by the chambermaid that the double ca...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Gateshead
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I've been to the castle a few times, but this was the first time I've stayed the night.
My husband and I had a room in the courtyard. It was very atmospheric. I'm sure some people would love that. For me, however, it was too dark.
The bathroom was nothing special.
The dinner was ok. My husband really enjoyed his, but my lobster was really overcooked and the dish had far too much coconut in.
No fruit at breakfast.
The staff very all very nice.
I wouldn't go again though.

Room Tip: try to stay in the castle itself not the courtyard. Apparently they have some amazing rooms in the c...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

always wanted to go to lumley castle, so we did thanks to groupon, paid a extra £45 to stay on a friday nite as my partner works away. the room was courtyard 11, very clean and tidy, a bottle of wine that tasted like a cheap supermarkets own value brand , which let it down !. There was 2 weddings and a 50th birthday on so was very busy, breakfast was lush so much to choose, and the staff were great very helpfull and happy to chat, the evening menu was a very big let down for me , so we choose to eat out at a local pub which was fab ! A lovely place but boring, no were to have a drink, chill, and nowt to do,

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Northeast
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed in a courtyard room. It was small and quaint. Very comfortable yet quirky. The castle itself was great very atmospheric and beautifully preserved. We had a dinner bed and breakfast deal complete with campagne and truffles in the room. Dinner has faultless, food was exceptional and service was attentive. My only negative is that the gents toilets which you pass enroute to the restaurant were stinky. I'm guessing keeping plumbing up to date in a castle is a challenge but that really needs attending to as this is uncceptable for a hotel of this calibre. If you are looking for luxury packaged a bit diferently I'd definately recommend Lumley Castle.

Room Tip: If you are thinking you want to stay in a castle but wimp out a bit because it could be a bit scary...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Seaham Hall
Seaham Hall
#1 of 1 in Seaham

Been to Lumley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!