“Wedding”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Durham
Washington, United Kingdom
“Wedding”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

if you want a spectacular wedding do not book the castle. overpriced and nothing out of the ordinary. Most front of house staff are good ,however, we did not get what we paid for and specifically requested.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alan w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed 8 June 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband had a fantastic time in the castle. The rooms were spacious and the castle was really well presented. We had dinner and breakfast and both were perfect.
Looking forward to our next visit

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2013

As we were housed in a courtyard bedroom,we felt cheated at first as we we were not in the castle. Talking with other guests especially some with a disability, we realised we were well off. Would suggest the hotel checks on guests mobility. The courtyard bedroom was well kitted out and reflected the ambience of the castle. We stayed for 4 nights bed breakfast and evening meal.
The breakfast restaurant was really fun and the food great. We had some reservations with dinner. The starters and desserts were delicious but the main courses were accompanied by the same vegetables every night. Staff were courteous and charming and made our stay very enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Warboys
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This is a unique place to stay. The rooms are so clean and the food is great. It is value for money and the staff are great. If you want to stay somewhere a bit special then I can recommend this hotel. Some reviews have given negatives on small rooms, low ceilings, a little shy on lights. I am 6, 2 tall and had no problems in the cry yard rooms. This pace s all about ambiance. If you want modern with fridges, mini bars big windows, chrome and steel do not book this place. If you want unusual, historic and atmosphere then this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Crowborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

It's not very often that I feel I don't want to leave a hotel, but I will make he exception here. The ambiance, the history, the appointment and most importantly, the way one one treated by each and every member of staff was quite exemplary.

A business trip or romantic few days away in an out of the ordinary hotel, I'm not sure this place could be beaten.

Room Tip: If you can stay in the hotel you get the full ambiance.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Blyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel as a small treat to ourselves for our wedding anniversary. We booked a courtyard room and ended up in one of the upstairs rooms.
The room itself was small and very dimly lit as mentioned in other reviews. The bed was fine, comfortable but a very soft mattress, gave us a decent night's sleep though. The decor was beginning to look a little tired in places as was some of the furniture.
There was tea/coffee facilities in the room but I would have liked to have seen a mini bar or even a couple of bottles of water.
My only real problem was with the shower, which is a simple 'over the bath' affair. Because the room is basically built into the roof there is very limited head height over the bath which meant the shower head was only a little over five feet above the bath. I'm six foot tall so couldn't really get beneath the head and the sloping ceiling made it even more awkward.
There were only a few small recessed spotlights in the ceiling which made the room quite dim, not very good when trying to shave or for the women when applying make up. A light above the bathroom mirror would certainly help.

We ate in the black knight restaurant which we found to be quite pleasant. The food was very tasty and cooked well. Staff were attentive without being too 'in your face' and all seemed happy enough to be working there.

We had drinks in the library bar which is quite small but, again, the staff were absolutely fine. We would have liked to have sat outside with a drink and were told we could use the central courtyard but this was being used for a wedding reception at the time and we thought it would have been like intruding had we gone out there so we stayed indoors. I think this is one area where the hotel could improve. They could look at creating an outdoor area where people could sit with a drink and take in some of the local views, I'm sure it would be appreciated by guests.

Al in all we enjoyed our stay but I don't think it fully lived up to our expectations. I would certainly recommend it for the food but I couldn't recommend the upstairs courtyard rooms.

Room Tip: If you're over 5ft tall and intend to use a shower then don't book an upstairs courtyard roo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

First of all, I must stress that all the staff were extremely friendly and welcoming, and I like the fact that you are free to wander around the premises and have a nosey into the fuction rooms. Despite the rooms and the hotel looking old and dark (exactly what you'd expect from very old building), it was however clean. I have only three areas of critism - the mattress was of a poor quality, it consisted of two mattresses put together and was lumpy with a huge dip in the middle. My evening meal of salmon was lovely, but it should have been served with more vegetables, not just tomatoes and a mushroom! They should also have a veggie breakfast on offer. I may however return in the future, it was authentic and had a relaxed friendly atmosphere.

Room Tip: Check out the mattress first. They put us in a coachhouse room by mistake and not a castle room, mak...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple