Lumley Castle Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Travelodge Chester-Le-Street(Chester-le-Street)
View Hotel
The Old Power House(Chester-le-Street)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
2,259 results
All reviewsthe black knight restaurantlibrary barcourtyard roomelizabethan banquetafternoon teamurder mysteryfour poster bedcream teachester le streetcricket groundsconeseggs benedictevening mealspecial occasionwedding venuegreat nightwaiting staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 July 2013

To be honest I've stayed in nicer places at half the cost. Thankfully we had booked our room through a discount site and was pleased. We stayed in a "cosy courtyard bedroom" and cosy is about right. I do love the fact that it is within a castle but would still like me room to be well-lit and comfortable. A double room with one chair isn't exactly convenient and the lighting was dreadful, you couldn't see to read clearly for example, unless you were in bed. Speaking of the bed, I needed a little jump to get onto the mattress, I'm 5ft 5" but the mattress came up to my hips. Although not important, the biscuits that were left were unsuitable considering the hotel knew of dietary requirements. Maybe my experience is just because the courtyard rooms aren't great, maybe another room would've changed my experience. To avoid having to have good ceilings and hide wires etc they'd used these hideous curtains across the whole ceiling making the room feel quite closed in. I've reviewed the restaurant separately.

Room Tip: Avoid the courtyard unless you're not bothered about size or brightness.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 540ssmith
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Had a great night at the murder mystery evening back in May with a nice 3 course meal. We stayed over,upgrading to a castle feature room which was funky.Food and drinks are quite expensive but worth it .Great service in the Library room by Tony who was a real nice friendly guy. Afternoon tea was too much food for us, so we settled for sandwiches which were very fresh and enjoyable..

Our only complaint was on first entering the Scarborough room for the murder mystery event, a very,very unpleasant man was ordering people to their chairs like they were cattle and the poor waitresses seemed to be dancing on hot coals. However, he wasn't around too long and we laughed the night away.

We would definitely return as loved the castle, and certainly worth the upgrade .:)

Room Tip: Upgrade when you get there to a feature room as it is cheaper than booking it in advance, and buy your wine by the bottle.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2013

My mum and I got this deal on a popular discount site and we thought it sounded too good to be true... It wasn't!

The staff were friendly and efficient and the castle itself hasn't been made tacky, it's really damn cool if you ask me and I'm quite particular about authenticity and anti-tackiness.
We went for an explore around and it wasn't all blocked off with 'no entry up these stairs' etc, there were some private rooms but you could go from room to room - how it was meant to be.

The restaurant: well again I'm quite fussy, but the food was very, very good indeed! I had the duck on the first night and the blue cheese stuffed fillet steak on the second. The desserts were quite spectacular and the restaurant was busy both nights (Sunday and Monday) which says something for usually unpopular nights in regular restaurants.

Great base for Durham and the rest of Northumberland.

Anyway, the whole stay was lovely and we will definitely be back with spouses in tow.

Thanks lumley castle!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We were in the castle, room 60, and it was really wonderful. Huge, with seats, window couches, split levels, and a lovely trick inside the wardrobe. Heavy drapes everywhere. If you go expecting boutique modern, it isn't. but it is solid castle style, rich and opulent, Yes, there are one or two wonky bits, but, you know, it's old!! Bags of character.Dining room beautifully lit, service excellent,
Now, I really cannot fathom these complaints about the breakfast. It had all the usuals,plus 2 types of danish pastry , croissants, fresh melon, fresh pineapple etc etc.Cooked...all the obvious, plus eggs benedict with parma ham on toasted muffin, or smoked salmon with scrambled eggs or....It was great.

Room Tip: 60 is great...high up, large,fun.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in a courtyard room. The castle is very picturesque and in a great setting. Our room was small and was very dark with v little natural light. Service was varied with great service on the first night but on the second a different story when we ended up walking out of the restaurant after waiting 30 mins for dessert service. Evening meal food is trying really hard to be fancy but puts presentation over flavour. Overall, great location and setting and can imagine it been a great location for a wedding as we heard the piper and saw the fireworks both nights. There are other places so we won't be back in a hurry

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple