“Not just a hotel”

Lumley Castle Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 23 November 2013

On cold wet rainy day where better to have a warming cup of tea
Not just a place to stay with great views and atmosphere a place to enjoy a pot of tea I front of a welcoming fire( only fault it was gas replica)
Better still if you can afford it hi tea looks like you get plenty of cakes and sarnies
Give it try friendly welcoming staff

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We were recently passing and thought we would stop here for morning coffee. The building itself is amazing!! However, when staff walked out of the main reception dress in medieval costume we were slightly put off. As we walked in we found that coffee was served in the library bar, but there was no one to welcome us, only the remnants from the night before. We were expecting coffee in fine bone china and a cafeteria, instead it was instant coffee and chunky cups. The whole place also smelt very musty and don't even bother using the facilities. The only plus from this whole experience was the roaring log fire that was very welcoming on such a cold morning. This place could be amazing, with a complete new look!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the castle a wedding and I have to say it was breathtaking.

I really enjoyed the Castle, food, drinks the atmosphere and the room.

But while I was sleeping I heard someone walking around in my room so I sat up in bed with my partner who also heard the footsteps, but ourroom was empty. Then we felt a ice cold chill and out the corner of my eye i see a women but as quick as she was there she was gone.

What an amazing castle, a truly amazing place

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Just got back from a super break at this magnificent hotel, so much different than a boring modern hotel the character of this most marvelous Castle. The breakfast was a real belly buster everything was on offer from a full English to Salmon. The staff are the most professional I have come a cross (and believe me I have been to hundreds of hotels while working with Shearings Holidays) and just seemed so proud of their working environment. The room felt you staying some where special, we had a great four poster bed. We also enjoyed a three course Sunday lunch and for £19.95 each which I would recommend to anyone (just don't have any breakfast before dining). So all round 6 out of 5 wanted stop another two weeks. Ask for room 29 in the court yard extra special.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I treated my mum and sister to afternoon tea here and what a treat it was! We had too much food and as it was so delicicious, we just had to take the leftovers home with us :-) I ordered vegetarian for myself and, as well as a pot of coffee, had my own 2 tier cakestand with 4 finger sandwiches, 1 cheese scone, 1 fruit scone, with pots of clotted cream and jam and several delicicious small cakes/pastries. We all said that the carrot cake was the best we had ever tried. Lovely setting and nice to see the staff dressed in costume.
Would recommend for a lovely treat

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The castle is lovely to look at, it actually is a proper castle, the staff are very good, especially Nicola, she was brilliant and if it wasn't for her bubbliness we would have gone home after 1 night.
We stayed in the King James Suite for 3 nights and I have to say the room was not very good, the room was cold, the bathrooms/en-suite was freezing, the windows did not close properly it really was depressing especially considering the cost. I know you have to make allowances for an old building but this was too much especially at the price, I have stayed in upmarket hotels all over the world and while they lack character they don't lack basic comforts and if I don't get a warm room I feel like I have been robbed. We had to ask for the used coffee cups to be changed and for the water to be replenished, fair enough they gave us a box of chocolates as an apology but you should not have to ask.
The food is good, not brilliant, but good although I would not say it is not value for money(we didn't get charged for the first nights meal as it was so badly burned) the chef has his own ideas on how you should have your meal !! He should pay the bill !!
Durham is a lovely place and the people are lovely, especially at Beamish museum, I would just say don't waste your money on this room as it is really uncomfortable, even more so now it is winter.
It also says on the hotel website that our room has" views of the parkland" what a joke we had no views of anything whatsoever apart from the trees outside our window on 1 elevation and the courtyard on the other elevation. The TV is also so small you have to sit within 2 ft of it to see it, we have 50 inch TV's at home so considering the room size, a large TV should be standard especially when you consider the price per night to stay and the size of the room, it could easily take a bigger television on the wall.
I would stay in Durham again but not here, it really does need a makeover.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2013

What a fabulous place to stay Old and new combined and blended together so well.
Luxurious, tasteful and in a great location for getting out and about to see the lovely North East.

Our bed was so comfy that we sourced and purchased the exact same pillows we had in our room.

There is an 18 hole golf course on the doorstep of the extensive grounds a lovely riverside park area, Durham county cricket pitch a stones throw away 20 minutes to the Historic & fascinating city of Durham 30 minutes to some great shopping in either Sunderland or Newcastle. and about 35 minutes to the East coastal beaches all so very different but beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Travelodge Durham
Travelodge Durham
#7 of 18 in Durham

Been to Lumley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!