“lovely end to our trip”

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Durham
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“lovely end to our trip”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed here on Sunday 16th February and it was a lovely end to our weekend of travelling. I used to stay her every week on business many years ago and have not been back since, but have raved about it to my husband on many occasions.

I was overjoyed to discover that it was exactly as I remembered it. Reception staff were friendly and informative. Room was lovely. Dinner was everything I expected and my husband and I had a very nice table. One superb point was the level of music throughout made it feel relaxed plus it was not like sitting in a silent dinner school and overhearing everyone else's conversation whilst having to whisper to avoid the table next to you overhearing you. Tables are nicely spaced too.

My only 1 negative point was at breakfast where it seemed everyone else who ordered after us were served before us. We had to queue quite a while, however in the info pack in our room it did say that breakfast could get very busy and advised not to leave it too late so partly it was our own fault. Al this being said the staff turned the tables around very quickly and nobody was left queueing for a long time.

All in all we had a wonderful time, the castle is stunning and I am already trying to plan when we can go back

1 Thank Gail B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed here when my dad had his 50th birthday party/meal. The food was great, the staff were very attentive and efficient. The rooms are all very individual, we ended up in a room with a lounge area and it was very spacious. This castle has lots of character about it and a we had a great stay. It’s brilliant to stay somewhere which is a little bit different.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed here for valentine not impressed at all not very romantic having been left with dirty plates on table for 15 mins we were told when we wanted wine open we ordered to go give waiter shout well we had to find someone first this meant leave food on table get cold wen we mentioned to lady who was taken food orders about table been left and not cleaned we found her attitude rude and Kurt duty manager was spoken to who said there were issues and would be addressed these issues as I can see have been put on reviews before and still not addressed I have stayed here be for and even though manager said we could av upgrade nxt time I won't be putting any of my money into this place again it was more like b&b experience Than romantic experience we should have had at £250.00 a nite shower was dirty pillows flat food was average also wen we arrived we thought we would have drink in bar which was fine apart from fact there was no seats as all tables were reserved for afternoon tea regardless if u were stay over you had no seat we had no choice but to return to room till after noon tea was over I think there is far better places than lumley castle and a manager who just doesn't fob guests off would also help

• Stayed February 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The best thing about the hotel is the castle and it certainly achieves the 'staying in a castle' feeling - or it did for us, paying £314 for a night in a state room (feature castle room). The room was decorated traditionally as you would hope with a really nice four poster and the bathroom had exposed castle walls and free standing bath which is really nice.

The 'poor' score is a result of quite a few things that were not quite right which added up to not being happy with the stay as a whole considering the cost.

The first thing that wasn't quite right about the experience was after my initial email to the hotel asking about a few things e.g. check in/out times etc. The reply was a nice and informative.. it did ask a question about what time we wanted to eat and provided 3 'available' times 18:00, 20:45 or 21:30.. none of which were ideal - I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't emailed in the first place, would I have still got a table (which I'd already paid for) ??

We went for 20:45, and the dining experience was good. Good food and service - not the most polished/experienced, but good. Quite ready for bed straight after dinner though. Breakfast food was nice however service was rushed and forgetable (as it seemed we were).

Speaking of bed.. The worst thing about the stay was the activity in the hotel. It seemed that there was about 4 different events happening on the night. At least one was a wedding. The music from this went on til about 1am if not later. Regardless of the decor of the room and the four poster we may have well as been in a cheap flat above a nightclub. The music was very loud, which I don't mind at reasonable hours but unacceptable in such a venue at such a time. This wedding was accompanied by very drunk people, sick and wine glasses in the picturesque couryard (which may or may not be authentic castle sleeping experience).

In the room there was no way to close the window and being February this made the room COLD. After having spoken to reception and the porter delivering an extra heater the porter said that the window was warped, so didn't fit properly now - I thought that wood warps when hot which means that it's been not working since summer??

We did try closing the curtains to stop the draft, but the curtains were nailed to the ceiling and could not be drawn - which as you might expect caused problems in the morning when we didn't want the sun!!

There was no wifi accessible from our room, which we weren't too bothered about at that point as we were in a castle.

All of the 'that doesn't really matter' things which were wrong about the stay added up to a 'that does matter' feeling from us. Despite paying over £300 for one night it was not £300 special! I'd recommend staying somewhere which prioritises the guest experience rather than making as money as they can.

1 Thank steven m
Blyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay at the excellent Lumley Castle hotel at Chester le Street ,where both my wife and I found the experience tremendous .Not only is the venue superb
but the accommodation, service and food was truly outstanding.
We had a courtyard room which had everything we needed and ate our meals in the Black Knight restaurant which was an experience in itself.
Hopefully it will not be too long before we make a return visit we both enjoyed it so much ,many thanks to the staff for making our visit so pleasant.

Wigton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We booked a courtyard room and when we arrived found that we had been upgraded to a beautiful four poster room in the castle, room 60. This was a most beautiful room with everything we needed. We had a bath big enough for two which was situated in a small balcony within the bedroom and then to find our toilet and wash basin we had to walk through the wardrobe. The room was perfectly maintained and very clean. Lovely comfortable bed and sumptuous surroundings, warm, cosy and very romantic. The room was right at the top of the castle with quite a few stairs which may not be acceptable for some visitors, but fine for us.
The castle itself was very well maintained and all the public rooms were spotlessly clean.
The breakfast was served up to 10am and had everything from fresh brioche, croissants, salamis and cheeses to full English breakfast of exceptional quality.
The staff were wonderful and very pleasant and helpful. The atmosphere was electric and you felt as if you had been returned to medieval times.

Room Tip: No lift going to room 60
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

experience.I recently treated my sister and 9 year old daughter to the Festive afternoon tea with traditional Carol singing on Christmas eve last year. On arriving at the beautiful lumley Castle we were greeted warmly by staff and offered a glass of hot mulled wine. After this we were shown to our festively decorated table in the magnificent Garter room. The hige room was beauitifully decorated with twinkling Christmas trees and lights, as well as the castles interior as a whole troughout. The sandwiches and cakes were fresh and delicious and a endless supply of coffee and fresh orange juice was brung to our table by extremly polite waiting staff. Throughout our festive tea traditional carols were perfectly sung by the ladies of the court of Lumley wearing period dress. The afternoon as a whole was absoultely perfect, a wonderful Christmas eve

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Travelodge Durham
Travelodge Durham
#6 of 19 in Durham

Been to Lumley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!