Lumley Castle Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$230
US$162
  • Pool
US$141
  • Pool
US$138
US$690
US$132
Bannatyne Hotel Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$58
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Durham City Centre(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$106
  • Bar/Lounge
Premier Inn Durham East Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$85
Travelodge Durham(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$80
Travelodge
Premier Inn Durham North Hotel(Durham)(Great Value!)
US$85
2,262 results
All reviewsthe black knight restaurantlibrary barcourtyard roomelizabethan banquetafternoon teamurder mysteryfour poster bedcream teachester le streetcricket groundsconeseggs benedictevening mealspecial occasionwedding venuegreat nightwaiting staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Been to a few hotels over the country and Lumley castle outclassed every hotel so far. lovely and friendly welcome when arrived and room was spotless with everything you need. the historical atmosphere of the hotel added to the charm. was lovely. Will recommend as a high class hotel that is value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Returning regularly to a hotel is its best endorsement and Lumley Castle is no exception. We popped up again initially for an overnight stay to visit aged relations on the coast but stayed an extra night. The hotel wasn't full so this time we were allocated a room in the main castle building as opposed to the Courtyard rooms, which are comfortable anyway. Our room this time in the main building was comfy and pretty well equipped although there were signs of cutbacks in the toiletries department and the room had only a shower but it wasn't a problem really. Because of the age of the building (and the plumbing) you have to expect and live with a few quirks but that kind of adds to the charm of the place. The bed, however, was large and comfortable and a good night's sleep was assured.
The restaurant, as usual, was very good indeed and I say this despite making a naff choice on our second night's dinner of stone bass and a mash of fennel and beetroot. The latter was near to horrid - simply not to my taste - and the fish (unusually for Lumley, a measly single fillet) was cooked okay. The white asparagus was fresh (top marks) but was virtually raw - I think the kitchen were aiming for al dente, but missed by a couple of minutes cooking time. I prefer this vegetable to be cooked through. The starters though were delicious on both nights and both our initial dinners were excellent. We declined puddings and desserts; apart from a lemon drizzle pudding nothing tempted us to increase our waistlines further. One niggle (not just with Lumley but a lot of English hotels) is there insistence on offering only English cheeses often with silly names like Stinking Parson's Fag End or Bucket's End Creamery Blue. Invariably these 'boutique' type cheeses end up being served freezing cold and are, as a result, tasteless anyway. The ones I've tried at a proper temperature leave a heck of a lot to be desired often was flabby flour or too much acid. So Lumley and everyone else; please at least offer some proper Stilton or mature aged Cheddar or Cheshire. But really, please, please put some good French, Italian and Spanish cheeses on the menu.
Breakfasts are terrific; Lumley do one of the best eggs Benedict I've ever eaten and the full English is, well, very full and un-greasy. The sausages and bacon are excellent without a trace of saltiness. Staff as usual were lovely, attentive, chatty and helpful. In short then another pleasant stay. We will be back.

Room Tip: Order dinner well ahead of time. Lumley cater for quite a few functions and non-resident diners. Unfortunately paying hotel guests (as we found on a previous visit) aren't granted any precedence. On our previous stay I tried to reserve a 7.30pm table at 05.15pm same day only to be told that they couldn't cater for us until 9.30pm, which was irksome to say the least. We ended up having to drive over to the Ramside Hotel to get something to eat at a reasonable time.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed overnight on business in the week & loved the place. A proper medieval castle experience, with plush antique furniture, oak panels & magnificent art.
Definitely going to return with my wife, she would love this place.
Good breakfast & really friendly service.All good here!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Lumley Castle has stood proudly above the banks of the River Wear at Chester-Le-Street, County Durham, for more than 600 years. Living in the North East all my life, I have always been aware of the castle and always remember looking up at it standing tall above the riverside park at Chester-le-Street which I visited a few times as a child.
I never actually went up to visit the castle however and these days its main function is as a hotel and wedding/function venue. A few people I know have attended the Elizabethan Banquets held there too, which appear to be very popular. I always planned to visit, or maybe book an overnight stay at Lumley Castle, but it is often the case when something is more or less on your doorstep you don't often bother with it.

It was when my daughter decided to have her wedding at Lumley Castle last December, I finally got to visit the castle and also booked a room to stay overnight.
I booked a courtyard room for myself and my partner via LateRooms.com, as at the time of booking the price was a little cheaper than booking with Lumley Castle direct and also cashback site Topcashback.co.uk offer a decent cashback rate for using LateRooms.com. Therefore by clicking through via Topcashback to make my booking I received a few pounds cashback too.
I paid £99 for a double room in the courtyard and this included breakfast. I thought this to very reasonable indeed and a few of the wedding guests also booked a room.

My daughter was getting married on the afternoon and when we arrived at the castle it wasn't long before the ceremony was due to commence. We parked in the courtyard and entered the Reception area which is in the main part of the castle. As soon as we walked in I thought how beautiful it looked, all stone and low light/candlelight, velour drapes, stained glass windows, all very cosy and welcoming, but I must confess I love castles and cathedrals.
The staff were dressed in Elizabethan attire and we explained we were there for the wedding and also to check in as hotel guests too. We were welcomed warmly and checked in and told just to pop back to the desk for our room key anytime after the ceremony, to save us having to carry it about with us.

My daughter and soon to be husband's names announcing their wedding were on a candlelit sign along with information on other events happening in the castle that day. Further signs directed us to the room where the ceremony was to be held. There are a number of rooms to hire for weddings at Lumley Castle depending on the size of your party. My daughter was only having a small wedding but I found the rooms where the ceremony and wedding breakfast were held to be very spacious and I was more than impressed with it all.

After a beautiful ceremony, we enjoyed a candlelit wedding breakfast. Huge candleabras sat upon the tables and Christmas trees were lit. It was a perfect winter 'Christmassy' wedding, with the stained glass windows and midnight blue and snowflake theme my daughter chose, adding to the setting.

I wasn't sure what to expect in regards to the actual wedding, but I can thoroughly recommend holding a wedding at Lumley Castle. The service and setting throughout was excellent and it was a truly beautiful day and night. The backdrop of the castle made for some stunning wedding photographs too!
My daughter and her husband had an amazing wedding, just the way they wanted it to be.
Further information and all you need to know in regards to booking a wedding at Lumley Castle can be found on the website at www.lumleycastle.com. You can also find information on functions, Elizabathan Banquets and special offers here too.

Lumley Castle offers 73 unique and individual bedrooms, some of which feature their signature secret bathrooms!
There are bedrooms in the main part of the Castle as well as in the Courtyard buildings. Some are four-poster feature rooms and all are fully ensuite with flat screen TV and complimentary wireless internet included.

My daughter and son-in-law were staying in a room in the main Castle building with a four poster bed, which was included in their wedding package.
As mentioned earlier, I had booked a Courtyard double room and this was located just a short walk from the main building.
I liked the setting of the Courtyard rooms, there were various doors to enter the Courtyard building depending on your room number. We entered via the door corresponding to our room number and found a room either side of the door downstairs on entering, then another two rooms up a short flight of stairs. Our room was one of the two upstairs rooms and after unlocking the door and entering our room our initial reaction was a very good one.

Our double room was on the small side, but large enough for our needs and nicely decorated and so size was not a problem at all. A curtained archway led to an alcove with a rail to hang your clothes, store bags and cases etc. There was a writing desk with a welcome pack and tea/coffee making facilities with sachets of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, biscuits and mints. A comfy looking double bed was made up with crisp white linen and the TV was wall mounted. The room was heated via a radiator and was very warm on arrival. So much so that we had to adjust the thermostat and open the window!

A door led through to a spacious bathroom and this definitely had the wow factor. Apart from being spotless and beautifully tiled, there were luxurious towels and toiletries included. There was a powerful shower with a large shower head over the bath and plenty of hot water throughout our stay.
Extra toilet rolls and a hairdryer hung from the back of the door in embroidered toiletry bags.

The bed was very comfortable, if a little on the soft side for me personally. I think we were still so excited about the great day we had all had at the wedding when we went to bed and so it took a while to fall asleep, but this was no fault of the bed or the room. I had experienced the emotion and excitement of my eldest daughter getting married and simply found it difficult to nod off to sleep!

The next morning we went over to the main castle building for breakfast. Lumley Castle seems huge, but there are plenty signposts directing you to where everything is. There are some lovely corridors, rooms and outdoor garden areas to view on your way around the castle, it is a beautiful building inside and out. I was impressed with the amount of Christmas trees around the castle too. I was just starting to get my bearings and find my way around by the time we had to leave!

We found the room where breakfast was being served and were greeted by waiting staff and shown to a slightly raised area containing one private table. There was another identical raised area with a private table at the other end of the room and my daughter and husband had been seated there. There were various other tables around the room and overall I was impressed with the breakfast area, just as I had been with everywhere else in the castle.
We were invited to help ourselves to juice, cereals, fruit etc from a long table in a hallway just leading from the room and our orders for a cooked breakfast were taken at the table. We both opted for a full English breakfast. Coffee and toast was also brought to our table and butter and little jars of jam and marmalade sat in the middle of the table.

We didn't wait long for our breakfast and when it arrived we were warned the plates were extremely hot, which I promptly forgot about and almost burned my fingers when I moved my plate slightly. Our cooked breakfasts both looked and tasted lovely. Quality products had been used and I couldn't fault it at all.

After breakfast we made our way back to our room and gathered up our belongings before checking out. We helped my daughter load up her car, as the staff had kindly packed everything she had taken with her and what was left over, as well as gifts and cards. We were thanked for staying and once again I have to mention that the staff are very friendly and helpful at Lumley Castle. They made sure my daughter had a day to remember and that all the guests were looked after from start to finish.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying at Lumley Castle. My son-in-law's parents have stayed there a few times and keep returning as they love it so much and enjoy trying the different rooms. I think there is something magical about staying in a castle and Lumley Castle doesn't disappoint. We will be returning for an overnight stay for sure, as I think it will make for a lovely night away for a special occasion and therfore I am more than happy to recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jeffjen
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend and it was like stepping back in time. The castle is wonderful and has kept all it's characteristics. I loved the oak panelled bedroom with all the quirky wee idiosyncrasies. The restaurant was excellent with a nice menu which changed daily. The staff were very helpful with some of them in medieval dress. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple