“Good and bad points about Lumley Castle Hotel”

Lumley Castle Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Durham
jarrow
“Good and bad points about Lumley Castle Hotel”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife booked this hotel for 2nights over six months ago to celebrate my birthday. We were shown to a reasonable nice room ( not worth the money, I've stayed in far nicer places). We were aware there were weddings going on in the hotel, which was fine, until about 7pm the room started vibrating with noise from a wedding disco. We had been allocated the room next door to it, which we thought was crazy, not being part of the wedding party. We complained at reception and they were very apologetic, but stated they only had one room left to move us to. It turned out to be a twin bedded shoe box of a room, but we had no choice to accept it. The following day we were moved to another upgraded room ( 3rd room in 2days ) . It was very nice and we finished our stay there. To the credit of the staff, they were very helpful and understood our grievance, and we were not charged for the first night. BUT this should not have happened in the first place. The people who were in charge of reservations should look a bit more carefully into where people are allocated to save this debacle. Cannot see me staying there again I'm afraid

Room Tip: I am aware that the hotel has some stable type rooms adjoining the old castle. These are far nicer r...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just returned after spending two nights in Lumley castle. We had a court yard room which was adequate but hardly spacious, but comfortable. The bed was so high we needed a stool to stand on first just to get into the bed, but it was a source of amusement. Being a very old castle, the floors were quite rickety, and hearing the people above walk about was quite annoying after a while. At times we even heard parts of their conversation. (All good ) Now we were there for a wedding and decided before we went to extend our stay by a second night for a more enjoyable time away. The day of the wedding was taken care of in terms of meals etc. and even the next morning we had exquisite use of the private dining room for out parties breakfast. This was wonderful as it saved us having to join the very long queue of people trying to get into the restaurant for their breakfast. The cold side of the breakfast was self serve with all the usual foods including small pastries etc. The hot part of the breakfast was to order and this was brought to the table. Food being well cooked. The toast was quite literally dipped in and out of the toaster and was more hot bread than toast. Not the best. !!! Now the castle is not just on a road where an abundance of restaurants are around. Its quite isolated but that's fine we planned on eating in the restaurant, or rather that was the plan, but upon phoning the restaurant to book a table I was informed that it was full and no tables available. There was room service up to 10pm but a £5 sur charge for room service. 10 out of 10 for the person that thought that one up, but sorry I am not paying £5 extra just because the restaurant was full, so was happy when they agreed to do away with this charge, and we enjoyed a hearty club sandwich with fries. Unfortunately we hit the queue in the morning for breakfast, but hey that's understandable when its busy. All in all a lovely weekend away. Staff were so very helpful and friendly. A lovely ambiance around the whole castle. Oh and please pass on our thanks to the lovely female DJ who played at the wedding of Joanne and Scott, she was ace and was complimented upon by so many people. I would certainly return, so have no problems in awarding this hotel 5 circles.

Room Tip: Would probably go for a room in the castle itself rather than the courtyard, but that's just for...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I've lived near lumley castle most of my life so me and my partner decided to spend a night there on the Friday night getaway deal they do. We booked up in the court yard room and wished I hadn't, if you want a bigger room with less noise then book up in the castle, its worth spending the extra money, nothing to complain about, very clean and welcoming with great decor to match the castle.

On the night we had food in the restaurant and was slightly confused with what to wear, I went with the safe option of trousers and a casual shirt which I was happy about in the end as jeans and at shirt doesn't go in this place. The staff here were great all round I must admit. The food itself was very good and worth the money you pay for.

Overall I.m really happy with our stay and will probably return in the future with a castle room instead. A couple of bad things would be not to order room service, especially the pizzas, they are infact frozen and could even tell you the brand of the pizza. Another thing was the lack of historic feel of the place, there is very little to explore and if you do, there's usually some wedding do that makes you feel un welcome, when you come to a place like this, which is so historic you'd expect to be able to explore more of it's history but unfortunately a very small piece of information in the room folder is as good as it gets, still worth the money we paid and the nicest placed I've stayed.

1 Thank Chris G
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 21 May 2014

One must remember going in that this is a 14th century castle. Floors are uneven and creaky. We stayed in a castle room -#49. It was a beautiful room with access to the ensuite via the center door of an amoire. The bathroom was modern and clean. I would definitely recommend the Lumley Castle! We also had drinks in the library bar. Loved the decor and service! The only negative was breakfast which was terrible. I ordered scrambled eggs (tasted like powdered eggs), bacon (completely dried out), mushrooms and tomato (passable). The coffee was also unpalatable. It was very strong and tasted burnt. I would recommend having breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: I would choose a castle feature room. Some of the other rooms were located in the more "modern...
1 Thank CStewart826
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

when you visit.this medieval castle.its like going back in time.all of the staff .are dressed in costumes .of the period.the bedrooms in the castle are all themed .weddings are held here.the black knight resteraunt the food is off the highest quality.and the ambiance.is lovely .the staff can not do enough for you.even down to a classical guitarist serenading you why you eat.not very many hotels.can match this hotel.very peacefull in a beautiful setting.make this hotel your first choice when .visiting the north east.you will not be dissapointed.durham county cricket club.and golf course.right.on doorstep[enjoy]

Room Tip: does not matter what room you get.you will be happy
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

After being an avid customer for many years I finally wanted to share an honest opinion on the hotel after reading some of the poor reviews..

Hotel quality is spot on, it has taken them some years to get this level. 99% of the staff work hard and long hours to provide the service you receive.

Rooms are generally spacious especially in the main castle or lower court yard rooms.
If you have a twin room, but request it as a double, then naturally they are going to push the beds to make a double... This is in every hotel, and believe me, I've stayed in a few.
If you are after quiet and comfortable, go for a courtyard room, upstairs.. These are more than adequate if you are alone on business.. Otherwise, yes you can hear people walking above you (it's an old converted courtyard not a modern built complex) or face staying in the castle building itself (which is far to complex after an evening in the bar and restaurant) but the rooms are much larger, with thick walls and no noises from above..

Service is always good, whether at reception, in the restaurant or in the lounge bar.
Staff will always help you, it's what they are paid for!
If you are charged for something that is part of your room rate or anything, then discuss it with the duty managers or reception! Always willing to help!

The only disadvantage of the hotel is the location.. If like me, you are there two or three nights per week with wanting to do something different then this means either a short drive or a taxi.. Still, it shouldn't put you off as everything is so accessible..

Be warned, yes it gets busy, but all quality hotels do, otherwise they wouldn't be in business..

From me, I would like to thank all the staff at Lumley for making me feel more than welcome over the years on business and pleasure with my family! An absolute gem of a hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Lancashire
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed at Lumley Castle on Bank Hol Monday for one night. We got a smashing lass checking us in, Sharon, who explained everything clearly for us. Room was lovely as was the wine in it! We dined in the restaurant at night and as we were on a groupon deal we'd paid £19.50 for a 3 course meal at the time of our booking. It was superb, really, just superb. Breakfast was also fabulous the next morning. We really enjoyed our night at Lumley and it definitely lived up to our expectations.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Travelodge Durham
Travelodge Durham
#6 of 19 in Durham

Been to Lumley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!