“Fantastic experience to stay in an authentic castle”

Lumley Castle Hotel
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I can't actually remember the room number I stayed in but it was one of the feature castle rooms and was fantastic! Individually decorated and packed full of period features and antiques. Had an amazing 4 poster bed that I had to climb onto a chair first to get onto as it was so high so maybe not good for any body with mobility issues but there are so many stairs to get to the room that you would struggle anyway to be honest. I was told on my second day by the chamber maid there that the room was haunted but I did not see anything and slept fine both nights.
Food was all good and particularly enjoyed the themed dinner we had in a private function room on the last night (was there for a conference). I would definitely recommend a visit here and would love to go back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Lainey_666
Write a ReviewReviews (2,181)

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Lumley has an undoubted historical interest & ghost rumours enhance that, it is however a perfect base to stay to watch the cricket down the road at Chester le Street. Rooms in the castle have character but expensive, food & service just ok.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank CGT21
Reviewed 29 June 2014

It is a lovely place, and it is staffed by lovely people. The food in the Black Night restaurant is excellent.

Fantastic location as well.

So, why only average?

We stayed in a double room in the Castle, which had only a small window and 'limited' additional lighting. Bizarrely, the Bath / Shower was in a corner of the bedroom, outside the ensuite WC.

The shower was either scalding hot or freezing cold, and when the tap was opened in the WC, the shower stopped completely

There was nowhere to plug in a hairdryer in front of a mirror (This is a must for my wife, and I expect most other ladies too). We asked for an additional mirror, which was delivered to us promptly.

So, if you are prepared for the foibles of a 14th century building, it will make a nice break, but if you want some modern conveniences, this is NOT the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Finchbee
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

For afternoon tea the library bar is used which is a dark room, not making use of the views. Right amount of food. However, sandwiches were soggy and meat was chewy. Lovely scones. Staff not particularly welcoming or friendly, no one asked if everything was okay or if we wanted a refill. Improvements required to whole experience.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Come on, stay in a castle. It sounds cool, it looks cool, just plain neat. We stayed in the "courtyard" rooms, which aren't in the castle proper, but they are still somewhat old and get the right vibe for a castle room. Bed was pretty nice. Small stairs up to the room. Nice grounds to walk around in. Really enjoyed the stay. They had a wedding party there, which blocked off a portion of the castle, but we still got to look around most of it. Stay here - you won't regret it.
Oh, it is a little tricky to find - make sure you check the garmin before you're on the way.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The castle was beautiful on arrival,staff at reception very friendly and our room in the courtyard small but very nice. Powerful shower and all very clean. We had afternoon tea in the library bar which was delicious. On the second day we enjoyed a day out at the Beamish Museum which was fantastic. The food in the restaurant was very good although the waitress was slightly patronising when I asked to have my coffee with my dessert. What can I say? I like coffee with my cake but was basically told that that is not they way it's done. This was the only negative thing. My husband and I went around exploring the whole castle,climbing narrow stairways and peeking behind closed doors. We had a fantastic stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AntjeWilkinson
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The cast and staff were excellent, good humour and got us all involved. The food was disappointing, 5 courses of dry, tasteless food thought it was over priced for what we got. The wine and mead was nice and free refills. We had noise group around us and thought they were not there for the show just to talk though it all. Was also disappointed are party couldn t all sit together, we were with baron and baroness table and had to sit away from them. Think the show was good and idea good but needs work.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Hallgarth Manor House
Hallgarth Manor House
#11 of 18 in Durham

Been to Lumley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!