“Fantastic Wedding Venue”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Durham
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Wedding Venue”
Reviewed 30 October 2008

We got married at Lumley Castle in August. From the very start we were incredibly well looked after, nothing was too much trouble, reception even organised taxis to pick up family coming over from Ireland. We held a murder mystery night before the wedding itself to make a weekend of it and the food was lovely, the acting hilarious and the bar bill at the end of the night surprisingly low.

On the day itself our wedding supervisors, Keith and Chris, ensured that everything ran smoothly and we didn't have to worry about a thing. We opted for the banquet rather than the normal three course meal. I often worry with cooking en masse that the quality will suffer slightly but I couldn't have been more wrong. Everyine commentd on how lovely it was, as well as how friendly and helpful the staff were.

Another worry that I had was the fact that more than one wedding is held at the venue each day but we didn't once see anyone else, it was as though we had the place entirely to ourselves. If you are thinking about holding your wedding here I cannot recommend it highly enough. I constantly bombarded the wedding organisers with phone calls and questions and they were always really helpful and lovely.

Overall, a fantastic setting, great food, brilliant staff and a great atmosphere. Our friends and family still talk about how unusual and enjoyable the whole weekend was.

• Liked — Uniqur bedrooms and great food
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Burnley
Reviewed 28 October 2008

I have just arrived back from an overnight stay at Lumley Castle and there is one word thats sums it up and that is 'Magical'.

I took my fiance for a surprise for his 40th Birthday as a treat and from the minute we got there we were amazed.

The hotel staff are really really friendly and are all dressed in medieval costume. We arrived and our room wasnt quite ready so we had chance to explore the castle. There are plenty of dark winding corridors to explore. We had a drink in the Library bar where you can be served with afternoon tea if you prefer or a spot of lunch. The prices are what you expect to pay at a castle.

We had booked to stay in the courtyard as the feature rooms were a little pricey. It was lovely, very cosy, very warm, wall mounted tele, comfy bed (very high), even with hairdryer and hot water bottle should you require one.

Parking wasnt a problem either.

We had booked for the Elizabethan Banquet and it was great. Dungeon bar opens at 7.00 and as you approach there is a bag piper that pipes you in.

I was very impressed to see so many people in the bar the banquets seem to be really popular. I didnt really know what to wear but quite a few people were really casual so if you go dont be afraid to wear jeans.

At 8.00pm the banquet begins and you are summoned to the dining area by each party which is good then there isnt a great stampede. There must have been 100 + people there and the atmosphere was great.

You are served with Broth which you have to eat with bread, Fish and potato you have to eat with your knife, Spare ribs, chicken, salad and jacket potato but they do treat you to a spoon for dessert which was apple crumble. Red wine and Mead is free flowing and then the waitresses sing a few songs for you telling stories of the castle back in 1590.

A disco finished the night off.........

We had an excellent evening and will definately go back.

• Liked — cosy, romantic
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
St Albans
Reviewed 21 October 2008

We stayed at Lumley castle for two nights as part of a wedding package. We arrived late on the Friday night and due to a banquet being held, parking was a bit tight. However, we managed to squeeze our car into a space in the residential carpark. The hotel presents a magnificent view at night and was just as impressive when we entered the reception area.
Our room was in the courtyard and my initial impressions were positive. The room was a standard double which is quite small but warm and very cosy. Decoration was of a good standard though if you want plain white modern style then the hotel is not for you. The bathroom was also lovely and a decent size. The bed was comfortable and we both enjoyed two good nights sleep.
As part of our package we had dinner in the main restaurant. We arrived late and the hotel very kindly and with no fuss delayed our reservation. After we had settled in we departed to the library for pre dinner drinks, which was great. You really do feel like you are in an old castle. To get to the library and restaurant you have to wander along ancient corridors and go through numerous doors. Dinner was of an excellent standard and my partner and I both felt that we had never eaten such a lovely and well cooked steak.. In fact we ate a lot of beef over the course of the weekend and I can say that it was fantastic all the time. The restaurant was a little chilly for my standards as the windows were open so take a cardigan just in case. Breakfast the next morning was also good and plentiful.
The wedding reception was in the banquetting suite which was just as imagined and the food was good. Drinks did not seem to pricey either compared to those in London.
We had some slight problems with our bill when checking out the next morning, mainly due to miscommunication but the hotel sorted it all out without a fuss and we left happy.

Overall a good stay but then it was not cheap weekend and it is what you would expect for the cost. I have stayed in a 5 star that was awful by comparison.

On another note, we were shown around some of the feature rooms and they looked great and would consider staying in one of these next time.

• Liked — fantastic location and atmosphere
  • Disliked — Bedrooms were a bit small for the price
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
Yorkshire Uk
Reviewed 17 September 2008

We stayed here for one night to celibrate my husband's birthday. I had been to the hotel before but it was my husbands first visit. I was a bit dubious about it as my husband is not keen on things historical but he absolutly loved it. It is a unique experience with all the staff dressed in period costumes. They were very friendly and welcoming as you will usually find in this part of the country. We stayed in one of the ground floor courtyard rooms,. While not as grand as the rooms in the castle they are cosy and romantic and immaculatly clean. The decor is in keeping with the surroundings of 14th century castle with a big comfy bed and lovely soft towels in the bathroom. Our evening meal was superb and the staff very attentive. The price was reasonable for the quality of the food and surroundings. We were able to order just 2 courses from the table d'ote menu at a reduced price. Total for the meal and bar drinks and bottle of wine £80.

• Liked — the authentic decor and atmosphere
  • Disliked — pricy if you dont get a discount
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank york1
Amsterdam
Reviewed 10 September 2008

I booked this hotel as one of three hotels via a castle tour.
The hotel was not able to offer a large bed matching to my body size of 2 meters without additional charge. I personally find this very discriminating to pay more just to get a good night rest. Besides the fact that the other 2 hotels were able to offer a bed matching to my body size with no extra costs involved, I tried to convince this hotel to provide the same service. It ended in an email conversation with the result that the hotel rejected to host me as their customer(Yes, I am uncomfortable as I do have a special request).
Dear future clients of this hotel, be careful! This hotel does not offer services matching to any individual needs and is only orientated to gain extra revenue in a shameless way in all means.

• Stayed September 2008
Lichfield
Reviewed 25 July 2008

My partner and I stayed here for one night, a present bought for us for a birthday. The place itself was amazing, full of atmosphere and nostalgia, even the staff are in costume. Our room was like nothing I had seen before - full four poster bed, curtains around the very large corner bath, fire place, period sofa and furniture. It was a perfect romantic getaway. The restraunt was lovely as was the food, my only complaint with this would be over priced for the quality (you could find similiar quality in a posh restraunt cheaper) with a slight limitation in choice, however, the ambiance of the restraunt certaintly made a fantastic night. The grounds are lovely to walk around for a night time stroll and the bar area is again wonderful and completes the period setting. I would recommened a night here to anyone!

• Liked — All of it!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
York, North Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 24 July 2008

We booked a last minute Saturday night stay directly with the hotel. We were able to negotiate a very favourable rate which really pleased us. The room was small and dark but well presented. Everything you should expect with a 4 star hotel. One strange thing was our room (17) didn't have a dressing table. You could see where the electrical sockets were for your hair dryer, etc and there was a mirror on the wall but no table. Found it very difficult to dry your hair and apply makeup. We told reception and they said 'that is strange' but they didn't apologise or rectify the situation. Went to the restuarant for dinner. Although the food was good it was not exceptional and it was extremely over-priced. I only had 2 courses while my husband had 3 courses and the bill was £110 pounds without drinks. The hotel is nice but nothing exceptional and it isn't value for money.

Vicki and Nick
York, UK

• Liked — Castle's public room
  • Disliked — very bad value for money
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Radisson Blu Hotel Durham
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Honest Lawyer Hotel
Best Western Beamish Hall Country House Hotel
Travelodge Durham
Travelodge Durham
#7 of 18 in Durham

Been to Lumley Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!